Another Bay Area Get together

kinzli

Newly Enlightened
I'm a 1911, Glock, and most other fan :)

I'm doing my best to get up there...Torch is charged and wanting to join the party. :)

kinzli

Newly Enlightened
Argh, just now finished with the %&*#@ water heater, off to the shower, don't think I'm going to make it since I've got an hour and a half drive from here... :(

LowBat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm 350 miles away. Drat and double drat! All my flashlight buddies are there and I'm so bummed. Pics pics I want pics! Especially beamshots of that little secret weapon I've heard about. Oh, was I supposed to keep quiet? :sssh:

MrBadger

Newly Enlightened
...Yep, it came down to the last minute for me, but I was unable to attend. I hope you all had a good time, and I'd love to see pics.

Jeff

DrJ

Enlightened
Here's the early report on the get together...summary: From what I saw, big fun was had by all.

WOW, some of you guys have nice light collections...got to handle some lights that I had only seen pictures of before...some pictures/beam shots were taken...street lights were turned off, but at the time I left, (toast and I arrived late and had to leave early), nothing had been set on fire....

Many thanks to our host unnerv, and everyone else...we should do it again sometime soon....

SheDevil

Newly Enlightened
flashlights007.jpg

CroMAGnet shows Toast some of the cool lights.

flashlights006.jpg

Anyone have a flashlight???

flashlights003.jpg

JimH and the gang.

flashlights009.jpg

Look JimH does carry keys on his key chain !!!! :)

LowBat

Flashlight Enthusiast
flashlights003.jpg

JimH and the gang.

Hey what's that in Jim's hand? It's looks like either a coffee thermos or a disintegrating ray gun from Duck Dodgers in the 24 1/2 century.

modamag

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thank you Patrick for hosting another great gathering. The turnout was just perfect! Great choice on the pizza too. Less eating more lighting!

Here are some of my pictures.

111806_03.jpg

Patrick (unnerve) was temped to pull the 500 lumens "FLASH" on Kevin (weedle). Raul (cqbdude) watch with anticipation.

111806_02.jpg

The new generation of flashaholic.
asdalton, DrJ & DrJ's daughter

111806_05.jpg

Nick (270winchester) being vaporize by several keychain lights.

111806_04.jpg

Mag623 been taken by good ole USL. Discussion went on regarding the conspiracy theory of why Mag623 failed to deliver.

111806_06.jpg

Standing in front of way too much lumens

111806_01.jpg

The passing of the torch! The old Tri-Star TX0J @ 1000 mA passed the lumen title to Cree Clusters (P2 @ that).
craigsharrow, dduane,

111806_08.jpg

Draco Shootout. Tony's and Jim's was the brightest. But which is which no body knows :nana:

111806_09.jpg

JimH started cheating with lights 2x - 3x Draco's size

111806_07.jpg

The OK Coral LED ShootOut, only 200+ lumens should apply.
Front row: unnerve, asdalton, JimH, Kevin
Back row: dduane, cqbdude, weedle256
Way back row: Nick, Kevin's gal

111806_12.jpg

See what a free light can do to a flashaholic (JimH)

111806_13.jpg

Another happy recipient (CroMagnet) of a free knife & toys.

111806_11.jpg

dduane just got the Draco rev-1 prototype.

270winchester

Flashlight Enthusiast
Jonathan, do you have the rave that Tony did on file? That's one thing a bunch of guys can do with lights in a dark room.....

thanks a bunch to Unerv for hosting this event, great to see all those that came, and much thanks to Jonathan for his donation to the raffle.

cmacclel

Flashlight Enthusiast
"Mag623 been taken by good ole USL. Discussion went on regarding the conspiracy theory of why Mag623 failed to deliver."

So did you come to a conclusion on why the Mag 623 failed to deliver? I have personally with 2 other members (RDH226 & Jlavino) compared my Torch running the 623 lamp at 14.4v to the USL and the Torch was noticeably brighter. The difference in brightness was not great but defintly noticeable.

The good thing about the 623 lamp as 14.4v is the fact there are no worries about instaflashing even hot off the charger.

Mac

unnerv

Enlightened
Glad everyone had fun. It was good to see you guys again and for me not to have to drive down south for once :) When's the next one?

DogLeg

Newly Enlightened
It was great meeting fellow flashoholics. See ya again after I'm off the crutches following my Thanksgiving Eve knee surgery.

I may have "seen the light": my next Mag mod will likely be LED rather than incandescent.

Last edited:

modamag

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah! One more converted to the "white side"!

craigsharrow said:
I may have "seen the light": my next Mag mod will likely be LED rather than incandescent.

Mac, the theories are as follows:
1. Switch resistance. Cherry switch have significantly lower resistance than Mags.
2. Bulb overdrive behave differently.
3. Tailcap thread junction add resistance (not the spring because it have already had a "bypass" mod.
4. I have no idea about the batteries. Whether they were packed, E2E solder, or adapter.

I was too busy having fun and just overheard the conversation but didn't participate. I was in a state of recovery after I got "flashed" :crackup:

DrJ

Enlightened
Well I didn't elaborate at the meet, although I did mention it in passing...but my M@g623 came with a slightly cracked bulb, glass cracked around one of the pins, (probably happened during shipping)...and in cleaning the glass from the reflector, when I discovered it later when I took the head off, I left fine scratches on the reflector...don't know if that made a difference or not....

Also I made sure I really rested my batteries after charging, I have not yet tried the light with the batteries hot off the charger, although I understand that it can be done.

Some new parts are on the way for my light now, so I see a future possible rematch shaping up....

modamag said:
Yeah! One more converted to the "white side"!

Mac, the theories are as follows:
1. Switch resistance. Cherry switch have significantly lower resistance than Mags.
2. Bulb overdrive behave differently.
3. Tailcap thread junction add resistance (not the spring because it have already had a "bypass" mod.
4. I have no idea about the batteries. Whether they were packed, E2E solder, or adapter.

I was too busy having fun and just overheard the conversation but didn't participate. I was in a state of recovery after I got "flashed" :crackup:

asdalton

Flashlight Enthusiast
The nice thing about the indoor venue (and the close quarters outdoors) is that the HID lights were not able to take over the show like they did on Mt. Hamilton. :laughing: We even had an LED-only throw shootout. (Behold the power of my 1000 mA Lux III Mag!)

Johnathan's quad-Cree mod was shockingly bright. My spare KL6 head definitely has a Cree in its future, although I'm waiting a while for the bins to settle down.

Thanks again to Patrick for hosting the event. :thumbsup:

LowBat

Flashlight Enthusiast
asdalton said:
The nice thing about the indoor venue (and the close quarters outdoors) is that the HID lights were not able to take over the show like they did on Mt. Hamilton. :laughing: We even had an LED-only throw shootout. (Behold the power of my 1000 mA Lux III Mag!)
Good point; I'll see about setting up a backstop for the smaller lights at Flashapalooza II.

CroMAGnet

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good clean fun as usual. we missed ya Larry! Hope you're having fun in SoCal. I'm heading to AZ tomorrow. Happy turkey day/week to everyone!

Thanks for hosting again Patrick! Pizza was tasty! Kewl helicopter too. :twothumbs

Great to see some need CPF'rs there. DrJ made mention of having a get-together at his place as he lives by a school yard which sounds great!