Anyone knows what is 4sevens ATOM ?

Jonwan

Newly Enlightened
No, it wouldn't. 6 lumens would be too bright if you want to preserve your night vision.
Thank you for your answer, Ryp.
When I asked the question, I was just saying that the majority of the Atom AL users may or may not mind that their light would support such a feature. As for me, as a light sleeper, I'd very much like to preserve my night vision by any reasonable means. With that said, I'll be sure not to use the full 110 lumen mode for my nighttime trip to the bathroom. ;)

Ryp

Flashlight Enthusiast
With that said, I'll be sure not to use the full 110 lumen mode for my nighttime trip to the bathroom. ;)

I actually tried that once with my P2 (~192 lumens), instant blindness. Took me forever to find my way back to my bedroom (without assistance of the light, of course).

nbp

Flashaholic
I see myself sending money to4sevens in a near future if they can do the same light, in CR2 format, titanium body and an high CRI emitter...

Hey Fred. Check out Enrique Muyshondt's Aeon Mk. II. It's exactly what you are after.

This Atom is very similar to the old Nitecore EZ series, and all of them are just cheaper version of the lights Enrique developed many years ago in the Ion, Aeon, and Nautilus.

Not impressed. :ironic:

derfyled

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks Nick!

I had to sell my TI Aeon because of unexpected bills, I sure miss it...:mecry:The Aeon MKII is now out of my price range... (again::mecry:). The Atom is more affordable for me right now, since I imagine a TI version would roughly be twice the price. Also, the Atom is a mule, which I find interesting...

sledhead

Flashlight Enthusiast
Pre-ordered mine also. Was wondering what was happening, now I see this thread. Bummer, think it will be a nice light when it arrives though. Can't wait to see how strong the magnet is.

lampeDépêche

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sledhead,
The magnet should be plenty strong. I have the Preon 0, which is kind of the AAA forerunner to the Atom line, and the magnet on that is more than adequate to hold the light onto a metallic surface even a vertical surface with the light sticking out horizontal. The magnet on the 123 format will have at least twice the surface area, so should have no trouble holding it on. And better geometry as well, i.e. broader base and less of a torque-arm since shorter and squatter.

If you watch the video, you'll see someone stick an Atom 0 123 to the bottom of a car hood. It makes a pretty loud "thunk!", and unless David hired a Foley artist to fake the sound, I'd say that it's the sound of a very solid attachment.

nbp

Flashaholic
Thanks Nick! I had to sell my TI Aeon because of unexpected bills, I sure miss it...:mecry:The Aeon MKII is now out of my price range... (again::mecry:). The Atom is more affordable for me right now, since I imagine a TI version would roughly be twice the price. Also, the Atom is a mule, which I find interesting...

Sorry to hear about that Fred. :( If you get the chance, the Mk II is fantastic, you would no doubt love it.

I didn't see that the Atom was a mule, I'll have to look again at it. I was initially dismayed by what seemed like another copy of Enrique's light, but if it is a true mule that would be interesting, you're right. The magnet seems handy also.

Greta

Flashaholic
Hey guys... I've been looking at the Atom with anticipation and interest also. I love these little lights! :eek: I see some of you have some questions (doubts? speculation?) about the light and I would like to see what David has to say about them. Why not start a thread over at the MarketPlace in the 4sevens forum to address these issues.... ie. the magnet, the resemblance to a mule, and the resemblance to Enrique's lights. I would think David would be more than happy to answer your questions.... :)

kongfuchicken

Flashlight Enthusiast
Anyone receive their's yet?

I got mine today.
Very happy with it. I wish the clip hole were slightly bigger but it's not a deal breaker.
The magnet is definitively very strong; it can keep the light and my keys + a bunch of junk attached to my keychain stuck on a metallic surface horizontally to the ground.
My only complaint is that there's no high CRI version available or I'd order half a dozen...

joema

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got mine today; In general I don't like it. The physical design is nice, aesthetic design good, size is smallest possible, rotational force OK, rotation degrees between off/low/high good, and the magnet is useful. However the beam is just too floody for general use. I fully realize the design intent is a flood beam, but it's too extreme. It seems no more directional than a bare emitter in empty space. By contrast even flood-oriented lights like the Surefire T1A are more generally useful. I had a CR2 ION, which was a very floody beam -- this is much floodier than that.

If you want a highly specific light usable at two feet distance or less, it is OK for that. If you want to see anything more than five feet away, you'll need another light. There is a spectrum of beam designs between flood and throw. Obviously for close up work a more floody beam acceptable. However the beam design on the Atom is so extreme toward the flood end, it makes it a niche-use light.

To give a specific example, my 60 lumen Surefire T1A has roughly equal utility at a 1 foot distance as the Atom AL. However at a range of 10 feet, the 60 lumen T1A works much better than the 110 lumen Atom AL. That is the problem with a highly specific beam design.

If you want a light to clip inside a computer chassis while you work on it (as shown in the video) it is OK for that. If you want a general purpose EDC light, this isn't it.

revscott

Newly Enlightened
Just got mine today. The all flood is really different. Not sure what I think about it. I was thinking 6 lm was going to be too high for a low, but with the flood of the beam, it doesn't seem all that bright.

Any worries of the magnet messing with credit cards in the pocket?

Also noticed that the battery rattles just a bit.

I'm trying to decide if this light will replace the E01 on my keychain.

gunga

Flashaholic
Anyone buying this needs to be aware of the all flood pattern. It's unique and not for everyone. I have one coming and know it has limited use, but it does what it does well (well, based on the Preon P0, I don't have the Atom yet).

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
Anyone buying this needs to be aware of the all flood pattern. It's unique and not for everyone. I have one coming and know it has limited use, but it does what it does well (well, based on the Preon P0, I don't have the Atom yet).

I agree... people need to understand what a reflector-less mule will be like before they purchase - this light is really designed for a few specific things - close task work (with their headband for example), lantern-like area lighting (with the magnet), and an ultra small size.

- The SF T1A, while much more useful for more distant tasks, is almost twice the size.
- With battery rattle, Foursevens (thankfully) believes in versatility and broad voltage tolerances. It will run any CR123 sized cell and Li-ion rechargeables can vary greatly in dimensions - there are loads of threads of xxx Li-ion cells won't fit in xxx light. If your cells are a loose fit, just stick a piece of paper in for a spacer. I have a feeling that in a real pinch, this head will also run 9Vs, AAAs, AAs with just a piece of tinfoil.
- On magnetism, yes it will fry credit cards... you can demagnetize it, however, by heating it over 400 degrees (lighter or stove).

I'm personally not a huge fan of mules and normally never buy them, but I can't wait until the AA/14500 version comes out - I want one as a spare battery container that doubles as my back-up light.

Last edited:

revscott

Newly Enlightened
I agree... people need to understand what a reflector-less mule will be like before they purchase - this light is really designed for a few specific things - close task work (with their headband for example), lantern-like area lighting (with the magnet), and an ultra small size.

- The SF T1A, while much more useful for more distant tasks, is almost twice the size.
- With battery rattle, Foursevens (thankfully) believes in versatility and broad voltage tolerances. It will run any CR123 sized cell and Li-ion rechargeables can vary greatly in dimensions - there are loads of threads of xxx Li-ion cells won't fit in xxx light. If your cells are a loose fit, just stick a piece of paper in for a spacer. I have a feeling that in a real pinch, this head will also run 9Vs, AAAs, AAs with just a piece of tinfoil.
- On magnetism, yes it will fry credit cards... you can demagnetize it, however, by heating it over 400 degrees (lighter or stove).

I'm personally not a huge fan of mules and normally never buy them, but I can't wait until the AA/14500 version comes out - I want one as a spare battery container that doubles as my back-up light.

But you can't really understand what the light will be like until you experience it personally. I watched the foursevens video, and I've seen other videos on mules, but it was still different than I expected in person. I have a Fenix E01 (which I thought was considered a mule) but it seems different than the atom.

Not saying I don't like it, but it's different. I expected the 6 lm low to be a lot brighter. The 3 lm low on my Mini MA seems brighter than the atom. I know the lack of a hotspot is responsible for this. But still, until you hold it in your hand and see it personally, you just can't really understand.

It's an interesting light for sure.

Tetsujin 140.6

Newly Enlightened
y4u2e7ej.jpg

Just received mine. The size and the fact it will take an RCR123 is handy. I'm not sure it will push the Fenix E15 out of my pocket however.

Gadgetman7

Enlightened
Since I have an AAA Atom I knew what the beam profile would look like. I usually have a couple of lights on me so I like a floody one and more of a thrower. So you can get both types of beams by carrying two small lights if you want. Here's a size comparison with a Mini.

a7ydanyb.jpg

Sent from Tracy Island

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
But you can't really understand what the light will be like until you experience it personally. I watched the foursevens video, and I've seen other videos on mules, but it was still different than I expected in person. I have a Fenix E01 (which I thought was considered a mule) but it seems different than the atom.

Not saying I don't like it, but it's different. I expected the 6 lm low to be a lot brighter. The 3 lm low on my Mini MA seems brighter than the atom. I know the lack of a hotspot is responsible for this. But still, until you hold it in your hand and see it personally, you just can't really understand.

It's an interesting light for sure.

You are completely right sir, and the trial and error process is the best way we find out what we like and dislike in lights. I guess what gets me, is that mules usually occupy a very narrow market niche where people that buy them tend to know exactly what they're getting, and in fact, go out of their way to find them. I guess what 47s has done here, that will be cause for some dissatisfaction, is introduce an broader market "everyman's" mule disguised as an ideal-sized EDC light, and at a reasonable price. So there probably will be many "mule noobs" that will be surprised at what they find.

Perhaps it would help, for those that are dissatisfied, if we could separate the criticisms between the mule format itself (it's just nature of the beast - there are no other ways to implement it aside from tint), and FourSeven's design and implementation of the delivery mechanism?

nightshade

Enlightened
I am a die-hard, 4sevens, ultra low-light, fan-boy too, but the mule effect on this this light is almost unusable in any of my immediate, real world, environments.