Are modded lights worth it?

ven

Flashaholic
Watched a video of the t6vn and wasnt that impressed to be honest.

I don't think there is enough flood.

I think I want more of a flooder, still resorting back to the MM18vn or the TN36UTvn, Arrh im going crazy! I do love the TK75vnQ tho aswell but the price hike is massive, too much to justify for me at this stage

The tk75vnQ specs are lower than the t6vn, I presume the tk75vnQ70 you mean, this will satisfy your flood needs/wants and unfortunately if you want 15,000lm ,100kcd of flood then it's $500 of well spent money. The only other light that gets close is the tn36UTvn, this does not have quite the mass as the 75 so will get hotter quicker. Also the 75 can be used with run time kits to double or triple the run time, standard carriers are recommended for this(if go modded carrier route then only use the one as supplied).

Other than that, your going to struggle really standard wise, again anything over 3/4000lm is going to get hit fairly quick unless am rc40 size. Turbo mode is just for that, short bursts, however the rc40vnT version can handle the 8000 ish lumens due to mass, might not be floody enough for you though.

ven

Flashaholic
It is pretty simple. If you do not like everything turned into a throw light you can safely avoid Vinh lights.

Wow you have a grudge or something, that's about 4 separate posts digging vinh, what's the problem?

Not all vinh lights are throw lights, sometimes if you don't have something positive or constructive to say at least, better to not say it IMO.....

staticx57

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow you have a grudge or something, that's about 4 separate posts digging vinh, what's the problem?

Not all vinh lights are throw lights, sometimes if you don't have something positive or constructive to say at least, better to not say it IMO.....

Indeed

outofthedarkness

Enlightened
The tk75vnQ specs are lower than the t6vn, I presume the tk75vnQ70 you mean, this will satisfy your flood needs/wants and unfortunately if you want 15,000lm ,100kcd of flood then it's $500 of well spent money. The only other light that gets close is the tn36UTvn, this does not have quite the mass as the 75 so will get hotter quicker. Also the 75 can be used with run time kits to double or triple the run time, standard carriers are recommended for this(if go modded carrier route then only use the one as supplied).

Other than that, your going to struggle really standard wise, again anything over 3/4000lm is going to get hit fairly quick unless am rc40 size. Turbo mode is just for that, short bursts, however the rc40vnT version can handle the 8000 ish lumens due to mass, might not be floody enough for you though.

YES!!! thats the one! The tk75vnQ70 is amazing. I have watched a few videos on that light now and its just what im looking for in terms of flood, throw and brightness. I am seriously considering buying this light.

If the TN36UTvn is pretty close I might reconsider, but im in love with that Q70!

I did look at some more beam shots of the T6vn and yes its a beast and very impressive but it looks like such a tight hot spot? Maybe there is a bit of spill but like you said its hard to pick up on camera!?

I really need to keep researching these lights but I think I want more flood rather than a tight beam.

I want max flood with max throw but not a tight beam

I think the Q70 is the one I want - just have to think about the money side of things, its alot of money for what is not going to get much use other than wow factor, fun, and pure manliness. Problem is I will buy this and then want a light with ultimate beam and throw, just because thats how things tend to happen lol

richbuff

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nevermind
Oh well, whatever.

With the lights out, it's less dangerous. Here we are now, illuminate us.

But seriously, Niwalker MM15 MB Vn, Meteor M43 Vn and TN36 UT Vn are all essential additions to any high performance collection. And a power thrower or two, too.

outofthedarkness

Enlightened
Oh well, whatever.

With the lights out, it's less dangerous. Here we are now, illuminate us.

But seriously, Niwalker MM15 MB Vn, Meteor M43 Vn and TN36 UT Vn are all essential additions to any high performance collection. And a power thrower or two, too.

But which one is most impressive!?

torchsarecool

Enlightened
This is why there's a running joke when people join the forum it will bankrupt you. It's like an addiction....you will crave all of them and the only way to cope is to buy them all. I turn round my collection quite a lot as I buy what I really want next and turf out the least used to fund it. My collection just evolves as the years go by.
From what you mention above I'd start with the m43 just because the output vs size is the most impressive.

richbuff

Flashlight Enthusiast
>>>> "But which one is most impressive!?"

The TN36UTvn has the most impressive beam. It looks like a nuclear illumination bomb exploded.

>>>> "...From what you mention above I'd start with the m43 just because the output vs size is the most impressive."

Yes, indeed. Vinh offers the M43 in several flavors of tint, throw and power. Maximum lumens is offered in a floody VNX2 driver, XPL dome on, approximately 10,000 lumens. Less lumens than the TN36UTvn, but notably shorter in length.

redvalkyrie

Enlightened
If you count Malkoff's as modded lights then that's all I own. I did complete my first DIY light yesterday because I wanted a Nichia 219 in the smallest 18350 body I could find. That body happened to be a Convoy S2+. I used a Nichia 219 mounted on a Noctigon board and a Q-Lite 7135 driver with a Efest purple 10a battery. The little sucker is bright but gets hot--really hot. It's more of a fun toy than serious tool because once you make a Malkoff your edc light, you won't have confidence in anything else ever again.

outofthedarkness

Enlightened
>>>> "But which one is most impressive!?"

The TN36UTvn has the most impressive beam. It looks like a nuclear illumination bomb exploded.

>>>> "...From what you mention above I'd start with the m43 just because the output vs size is the most impressive."

Yes, indeed. Vinh offers the M43 in several flavors of tint, throw and power. Maximum lumens is offered in a floody VNX2 driver, XPL dome on, approximately 10,000 lumens. Less lumens than the TN36UTvn, but notably shorter in length.

Thanks guys but size is not an issue, I will check out the m43 as im not familiar with it

jdboy

Enlightened
For me I'm going to say yes as I have an old Novatac 120P awaiting a new emitter at this very moment. I like the lights form and the programability. It has been with me for several years and has never gave me any trouble. So with that I thought it deserved and updated LED with the CRI and tint I have grown to enjoy.

Sambob

Newly Enlightened
Getting 1000 lumens from Mag 2C that originally put out like 30?
Worth it some to spend $100 to make a $17 flashlight as bright as an automobile headlight.
Many others would say it would be better to buy a production light that does that for less.

The real question is "what would the flashaholic do?"

While I've gleaned many of useful bits of knowledge since coming here, mods can be as simple as upgrades of the batteries,bulb and lens to taking a empty tube and head and pack It with all new parts.
"What would a flashaholic do?"
I believe they secretly dream of the day of the ultimate mod, that they create a light that Is equal to the brightness of a flash from a nuclear detonation...AND YOU KNOW WHO YOU ARE...yeah I see you In the back row their.

gunga

Flashaholic
I'm not into big throw nor massive output, yet 85% of my lights are modded. It would be 95% but lights like zebralight are not mod friendly.

It helps that I mod my own lights though.

Crazyeddiethefirst

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a number of modded lights, most by Vinh, but also at least half a dozen by others too. Some because I wanted more lumens, most because of my previous field of employment were done for hi CRI LEDS. Many were done so I could program the lights to my specific needs. And of course let's not forget about adding tritium to the lights. If you can buy a light that is exactly what you want out of the box, great. As you gain experience and develop your taste for what a light needs, to meet exactly what you want, you will probably end up with some mods. I recommend reading a lot, visit mortar and stone shops to try out lights, make friends who will let you try their lights and eventually you will answer your own question as it best suits you. This hobby/passion is not a destination(I have the biggest, brightest light there is), rather it is a journey( and along the way you will buy many lights, hopefully make many friends), and realize for each circumstance in your life the lighting requirements change and as such, so do the lights...good luck!

ven

Flashaholic
The thought of having nothing but mass produced cool whites makes me feel sad and missing out tbh, crazy high output is not everything, the colours your illuminating is!

Gunga is da man, thanks to this awesome gent, my too cool xml U3 in a v11r is now a nichia 219C and gets used all the time rather than taking space up in a draw .............

Latest posts