Attention Please Raw Ti Owners.

GrooveRite

Enlightened
I have no doubt in my mind now of ever having second thoughts about dealing with Rob (Orb). Your actions in handling this (minor if you will, lol) inconvenience is to be applauded and shall not go unnoticed in our community. Your reputation is beyond stellar in my book!!

aosty

Enlightened
Rob - as others have already mentioned, you're a class act. I'm out of town for a few weeks... will check mine when I get home.

blahblahblah

Enlightened
Rob,

My blue/violet H3 U-binned Raw Ti is really Ti. However, my green H3 U-binned Raw Ti is a faux Ti.

I'd like to take you up on your offer. Could I get one of the new ones w/ 5 H3 vials and a U-bin (UWOJ or UXOJ)? £100+£30 ???

Thanks, Marco

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Class act Rob!! :thumbsup:

We had a boat in the boatyard one time and it had a bent ruddershaft that needed some welding and repair work to it. It was rumored to be Ti but could have been a stainless alloy. THe guys knew I was a Ti nut and asked if I had a simple test. A can of Coke and a 12V battery proved it was Ti. Instant gold/bronze anodize mark.

GJW

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm travelling but I'll check when I get home.
If memory serves it is definitely heavier than my NS.

kenster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Rob,

You are an excellent person to do bussiness with!:goodjob:

My Ti Raw pieces didn`t seem to quite match when I polished them and now I know why. I have the battery tube in Ti and the other appears to be SS because it is magnetic and heavy. :shrug: It weighs it in on my scale at 10.9 grams empty the same as my NS. The battery tube is much lighter. Almost down to half the weight of NS battery tube so it is Ti.

Hey, do I have a one of a kind here? :whistle: :grin2: Haha! I will need to buy the following from you if I may?

1 x Ti & SS Raw combo light the opposite of what I have now!:rock:I got lucky I think because now I have a good excuse to buy another Orb Raw flashlight!:naughty:

Thank you,
Ken

orb

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am Truly amazed & humbled by the Responses Thank to You All.
I have updated the 1st post with the findings so far & will add those who wish to Keep there Raw SS & Purchase a New Raw Ti for the £100 to the Raw Ti interest list in the 1st post of the other Raw Ti thread.

Kenster: I hope you really do have a 1 off there as you having 1 half Ti & The Other SS is hard for me to Rectify. Unless We find another Mix Ti/SS Opposite to yours & arrange the swap. But then yours is Polished so we still need to figure out what is best here????
--

kenster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Rob,

We will wait and see what people have and figure out something I`m sure.
smile.gif
No worries here!
wink.gif

Ken

Spudman

Enlightened
My "tiny ti" with the smooth end is Ti. I didn't really have much doubt because it is so much lighter than the ns, but I checked it with a magnet to be sure. This is one of the three that were shorter, so it may not have been in the possible SS group anyway.

Rob, the way you are dealing with this glitch shows what a class act you are.

orb

Flashlight Enthusiast
All I have found out about the material from the CNC shop is its purchased for a Areo space part. After a search on the net it just looks like 316 S31 which I found this info:
(316 S31) This has a greater corrosion resistance than A2 in certain environments, and is often used for Marine applications especially when coming into direct contact with saltwater. Ideal For deck fittings and on the hull.

I am more than happy to produce a company cert for those with Raw SS's ???

PhotonFanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
orb said:
Kenster: I hope you really do have a 1 off there as you having 1 half Ti & The Other SS is hard for me to Rectify. Unless We find another Mix Ti/SS Opposite to yours & arrange the swap. But then yours is Polished so we still need to figure out what is best here????
--

Hey Rob,

Guess what? After reading all the posts, I decided to double check with just one magnet, instead of two.

Same result on the battery tube as before--nonmagnetic, but surprisingly the head is SS and magnetic.

So Ken does not have a one-of-kind. Perhaps he as a two-of-a-kind? :lolsign:

kenster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ah jeepers Fred! You had to go and have one like mine didn`t you. :( So much for my one of a kind light.:awman: :laughing:

Mine is polished and I can see the difference in color of the two pieces. Takes a small magnet to stick at all. It still looks very nice though. But it was nicer before Fred had to go and have one too.:nana: ;)

Last edited:

SolarFlare

Enlightened
:sssh: So I wonder when the bloke, who's just finished his new boat, will realise he has to take his deck up to replace the 500 titanium washers he's just fitted :naughty:

Codeman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Rob, are you sure it's 316S31? I've found other 300 series steels that are designated S31, such as 320S31 & 321S31 (which do contain slight amounts of titanium), as well as 347S31, 303S31, & 304S31. They all have other designators as well. The designators I've listed are from the BS970 standard, which is/was used in the UK.

Aalco, out of Surrey, lists some, as does this page.

Maybe it's just me, but since the CNC shop made the mistake, the least they could do is positively identify which specific alloy was used. Most of the alloys I've found are listed as being used in marine environments, with no mention of aerospace use. Of course, that doesn't mean their claim isn't true, but at this point, I'm not inclined to believe it without a specific alloy designator. After all, if they purchase it for an aerospace part and it's a special grade, they must know what specifc alloy is used.

Last edited:

Dogliness

Enlightened
It appears to me that my Raw Ti is a Raw SS. The spacer magnets stick to the bottom of the Raw Ti without a battery or spring. I have an NS, which weighs about 6% more than the Ti. I appreciate the way Rob is handling this. He is a first class guy.

TENMMIKE

Enlightened
ok lets clear things up a bit about "grades", let me give a example if iv got some 7075t6xxx laying around and it has all the certifications that must follow that batch and the parts that it makes , this is "certified aircraft grade material" but if some how iv got some 7075t6xxx and don't have the certs with it it is still aircraft grade aluminum but you cannot make a aircraft part from it as you do not have the cert that has all the tests performed to varify that it is so, you may also have some 7075t6xxx that never had certs to start with , that is still may be in fact of the quality for aircraft use but it is not able to be used on a aircraft as there is no paper trail certifying the material, another example would be if a shop like i work at that only does aircraft work had some nice large pieces of extra material laying around, and i picked it up and made something from it , that material that thing i made would have been made from aircraft grade alum but it would no longer be certified for use on a aircraft because i have no idea which batch that alum came even though no non-aircraft grade material hits my shop from and therby loosing its "certified aircraft material " badge of honor, does this this clear up anything at alll?
Codeman said:
Rob, are you sure it's 316S31? I've found other 300 series steels that are designated S31, such as 320S31 & 321S31 (which do contain slight amounts of titanium), as well as 347S31, 303S31, & 304S31. They all have other designators as well. The designators I've listed are from the BS970 standard, which is/was used in the UK.

Aalco, out of Surrey, lists some, as does this page.

Maybe it's just me, but since the CNC shop made the mistake, the least they could do is positively identify which specific alloy was used. Most of the alloys I've found are listed as being used in marine environments, with no mention of aerospace use. Of course, that doesn't mean their claim isn't true, but at this point, I'm not inclined to believe it without a specific alloy designator. After all, if they purchase it for an aerospace part and it's a special grade, they must know what specifc alloy is used.

ouchmyfinger

Enlightened
TENMMIKE said:
ok lets clear things up a bit about "grades", let me give a example if iv got some 7075t6xxx laying around and it has all the certifications that must follow that batch and the parts that it makes , this is "certified aircraft grade material" but if some how iv got some 7075t6xxx and don't have the certs with it it is still aircraft grade aluminum but you cannot make a aircraft part from it as you do not have the cert that has all the tests performed to varify that it is so, you may also have some 7075t6xxx that never had certs to start with , that is still may be in fact of the quality for aircraft use but it is not able to be used on a aircraft as there is no paper trail certifying the material, another example would be if a shop like i work at that only does aircraft work had some nice large pieces of extra material laying around, and i picked it up and made something from it , that material that thing i made would have been made from aircraft grade alum but it would no longer be certified for use on a aircraft because i have no idea which batch that alum came even though no non-aircraft grade material hits my shop from and therby loosing its "certified aircraft material " badge of honor, does this this clear up anything at alll?

Not really. We just want to know more about the material that these Raw SS are made from. Is the 'S31' the xxx grade you are talking about? Can you shed some light for us on what 316 S31 is? (with or without papers). So far its seeming to me like its some kind of lower corrosion grade of SS, designed for marine environments, but not particularly uncommon or special.
(which does not mean the lights are not special).

TinderBox (UK)

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have never owned an ORB flashlight, but i have been thinking about getting one.

Do ORB flashlights have serial numbers, if not might be an idea to start using them.

If problems ever happen again.

regards.

orb

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Material is 316/S31 BS. It is Aero Space Certified & used to make Valves.
Other than that I can not find or get any more details.

PhotonFanatic & Dogliness:
Any idea how you wish to proceed?

TinderBox, We did 100 CPF Orbs about 2 years ago all Serial numbered.
We do not use or do Serial numbers on any of the Raw Series.
It would not have Prevented the error in this occasion. Being aware of this error will stop it happening again to me.