Attention Please Raw Ti Owners.

Frenchyled

Flashaholic*
Sorry Rob, I discovered this thread only today and I reply as quickly I can ;)

Hmmm..it seems that my raw Ti is made of.......TI, so no problem for me :)

Thank you for your attention to Raw TI's owners....it's great !!

orb

Flashlight Enthusiast
:thanks: Guys, Keep em Coming :wave:

kenster

Flashlight Enthusiast
orb said:

Would Kenster or Photonfanatic be interested in a swap with Aosty's Rear??

5 Kenster Front Half SS Rear Ti
6 PhotonFanatic Front Half SS Rear Ti

11 Aosty Front Ti Rear SS

thanks.gif
for the continued support
thumbsup.gif
Rob, did you forget I polished my light a little so a swap with my pieces wouldn`t match unless the other pieces are polished too.
icon3.gif

IMG_0219.jpg

aosty

Enlightened
kenster said:
Rob, did you forget I polished my light a little so a swap with my pieces wouldn`t match unless the other pieces are polished too.
icon3.gif

IMG_0219.jpg

In that case..... :grin2: :laughing:

exolion-myhole-good.jpg

PhotonFanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
Rob,

If I can be egocentric here for a tad--I really only wanted the Ti version, not the SS version.

Looks like kenster and aosty should swap, leaving cmacclel as the other party that could swap with me. I haven't contacted Mac, so I don't know what his desire would be re getting a SS version, or a new Ti version if he were to swap his Ti head for my SS head.

Unless you have another solution?

Regentag

Banned
Looks like both of my Son's of Raw Ti's are Titanium. Magnet no stickie. I was a bit lazy about the "testing" procedure, but all looks good at this point.

Codeman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Rob,

How can I tell whether the replacement Raw Ti you sent me has the Joker reflector or not?

Something isn't the same because this one has a noticeably dimmer hotspot and it also has a donut hole, not quite as big as the NS's have, but a very noticeable one. I even tried a couple of the replacement cutdown Joker reflectors I bought from you back in May, but they have the same donut hole.

Isak Hawk

Enlightened
Codeman,

It's the same deal with mine. I think it's because Lumileds suddendly went back to using the original slug height. It seems that a joker LED with a joker reflector produced a brighter hotspot than a regular LED with a regular reflector. A small step backwards then (imo) :(

I don't think it's a huge deal, but it's definately a small downgrade. It's Lumileds fault though, so don't blame Rob.

Codeman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I know, but it doesn't answer my original question as to how to tell the difference between the reflectors.

Last edited:

Regentag

Banned
By the way, it seems that "S21" is not completely descriptive of a particular steel, but possibly some quality designation (like a suffix) which may apply to all sorts of alloys - including some Titanium/steel ones.

If you are interested, scroll down the U.K. column in the table on the following page...

http://www.primapol-metal-spot.cz/en/tables/en-steel-rustproof-table.htm

I wonder which one of the "S21" grade alloys was in fact used in the highly collectible "**** up raws" ??? :)

Cheers,

orb

Flashlight Enthusiast
Kenster: I did Guess your Shiny Raw Ti/SS was a keeper.

Photonfantic & Aosty: You two guys could possibly swap to make 1 Raw Ti & 1 Raw SS. This would help me & one of you to get a complete Ti now.
I did see there was a thread asking to purchase 1 of the Raw SS's. This could benefit one of you with the $$$'s & you could get a Real Raw Ti for cost £100 when they are ready. It has to be left for you both to discuss.Let me know the outcome.

Codeman: I do not know what set up Ref & LED are in your Ti?? The only way you can spot the Joker Ref is to look at the outer Dia near the top to see if it looks like it has been turned down. There may be some of the Reflective coating disturbed near the edge?? The none Joker original refs are untouched.

:thanks:

Codeman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks, Rob. Earlier this morning, I found the sticky thread on the whole Joker fiasco. What a mess. I'll take it apart tonight and see if I can figure it out.

GJW

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ok, I'm selling my SS to SATrista so you can move me into the group that will be buying a 2nd batch Ti at Cost.

Thunmbsup all around.

orb

Flashlight Enthusiast
GJW: I have added you as wanting the Raw Ti @ cost when Ready with a K2 LED. :thumbsup:

Codeman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I still haven't figured out what's going on with my Ti, but it's definitely an alignment issue, which I'm sure I'll get worked out. During the process of looking at it and my other Raw's, I made a discovery.

The first Raw Ti I got, the Raw SS (which I've been using as my basis for comparison), has a perfectly mated LED and reflector. Absolutely perfect. When I look into it with the light off, the entire reflector, 100%, evenly reflects the yellow phosphor of the LED. I've got close to 30 Luxeon-based lights, and most fall in the 30% to 90% range. Even on the more expensive ones (TiCub, Aleph 3, etc), the coverage is never more than 95%, which is actually extremely good, FWIS. In fact, the only other LED I own which does have 100% is one of the rare MR-X's with an equally rare PMR reflector. It's now obvious that my Raw SS is an over-achiever!

Sorry for the unrealistic expectations, Rob. I'd told you in our emails a while back that I wanted to hang onto the internal parts of the Raw SS because of how they performed. Well, now I know why. I hit the proverbial jackpot with my Raw SS. Perfect tint, perfect reflector, and perfect alignment. No one could do that consistently, at least not for a reasonable price.

Last edited:

orb

Flashlight Enthusiast
Codeman: I am sure in your Raw SS is a Turned Down 18mm McR (Joker). With a Latest Lux 3, I.e supposedly back to the original slug height. But I think its some where in between Original & Joker Height!!!
Unfortunately you are right about staying consistent with these variables, as they are out of more than 1 persons/company's control. I guess Lumileds with the Luxeon will continue to provide a lottery for the Future.

Codeman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sounds like a False Joker, in McGizmo-speak. Thanks for the info, Rob!

Isak Hawk

Enlightened
So we have Regular, Joker and False Joker. Starting to sound like skateboard tricks or something, what a mess :ohgeez:

Btw. I did what Codeman did and looked into both my Ns (joker led + joker reflector) and Ti (false joker + regular reflector) and saw a clear difference in how much of the yellow phosphor is being reflected straight ahead. On my Ns it's pretty much perfect, 99-100% coverage. On my Ti it's more like 70%, it's almost like I can see the donut hole in there. I don't think this affects output much but it does result in my Ns throwing better even though my Ti has a U-bin and puts out more lumens. The Ti in turn has a little more spill and is maybe more practical for EDC :shrug:

I like the Ti more anyway, not only because of the material but also because it has a pretty much perfect tint (ie no discernable tint at all, it just looks like light) :grin2:

Cliffnopus

Enlightened
With all this talk, I just checked my original RAW NS and it looks like perfect 100% coverage. When I look into the center of the reflector from about a foot away, it's all yellow.

I'll check my Ti when I get home.

Cliff

I checked my TI and it's the same, 100% yellow. I never would have thought to check that out.

Last edited: