Best Budget AA/AAA lights for the price...

ringzero

Flashlight Enthusiast
If I could have only one AAA light, it'd be a Streamlight MicroStream. Very simple, very rugged, very reliable - all the characteristics of a great EDC light.

The SL MicroStreams I've owned have all been the older version, which put out approx 20 lumens for 1.5 hours with an alkaline cell.

MicroStream is a light that really gets a performance boost using lithium cells - runtime triples to about 4.5 hours using an Energizer lithium AAA and output is slightly greater over that entire runtime.

One lithium AAA costs only a bit more than the 3 alkaline AAAs it replaces, so there isn't much cost penalty for always running the MicroStream on a lithium cell. As a bonus it's also a bit lighter in weight.

The clicky switch is the best I've seen on an AAA light with great momentary function and long travel to click fully on. Just has a great tactile feel to it. I've never had a MicroStream come on by accident in my pocket or on my keychain.

Beam is excellent for general purpose use. Smooth, soft hotspot and lots of bright spill. Throws surprisingly well for a small AAA light. My 20 lumen MicroStream actually throws about as far as my 80 lumen ITP AAA.

The new version MicroStream has 28 lumen output with 2.25 hour runtime, and is still available at the same price of 15 to 20 bucks. Don't have the new version yet, but plan to pick one up soon.

mhphoto

Newly Enlightened
For a budget AAA light with great output I'm a huge fan of the Maratac AAA line. The aluminum models are around $24 and the stainless steel models are about $28. The copper models adds variety and beauty for only $38 :grin2:

ringzero

Flashlight Enthusiast
For a budget AAA light with great output I'm a huge fan of the Maratac AAA line. The aluminum models are around $24 and the stainless steel models are about $28. The copper models adds variety and beauty for only $38 :grin2:

Love the Maratac stainless AAA - great little keychain light for the price. A Stainless Maratac AAA is always on my keychain.

As you mentioned, Maratac are very attractive lights due to simplicity of design, fine fit and finish, and deep knurling.

Also love my ITP aluminum AAAs which are a great buy at less than 20 bucks. They aren't as pretty to look at as the Maratacs, but are functionally very similar.

However, I don't find any of these lights as good for EDC as a simple SL MicroStream with its superb forward clicky switch.

SixCats!

Enlightened
Hi guys,

Thanks for your suggestions. Ringzero, THANK YOU very much for the information you provided. I have read several reviews of the Maratac, ITP, FENIX, ARC, REVO, (and I AM interested in these Flashlights) etc. but the STREAMLIGHT MICRO STREAM AAA due to it's being a simple operation/design is something I will check out for sure. I'd love to have a Flashlight that has all the bells and whistles but, there is something to be said for gear using the KISS system. Funny, recently I've been thinking there is a great parallel between Flashlights and Cars. That is to say, I'd love to own a super Porsche but, I KNOW I'll have less problems/issues driving a simple Toyota Camry as my every day driver.

Regards,
SixCats!

igoman

Newly Enlightened
I currently have the Streamlight Microstream on my key chain and I like it very much. I just ordered the Fenix E05 yesterday to try it. It is very cheap and the main reason for ordering it is that I want as small as possible key chain flashlight. The main disadvantage for me is that the E05 doesn't have the clicky as the Microstream. I will see how I like it after some time.

Napalm

Enlightened
Whatever your *mart has on sale.

If you don't like the answer then next time don't mention "budget". :grin2:

Nap.

ringzero

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi guys,

Thanks for your suggestions. Ringzero, THANK YOU very much for the information you provided. I have read several reviews of the Maratac, ITP, FENIX, ARC, REVO, (and I AM interested in these Flashlights) etc. but the STREAMLIGHT MICRO STREAM AAA due to it's being a simple operation/design is something I will check out for sure. I'd love to have a Flashlight that has all the bells and whistles but, there is something to be said for gear using the KISS system. Funny, recently I've been thinking there is a great parallel between Flashlights and Cars. That is to say, I'd love to own a super Porsche but, I KNOW I'll have less problems/issues driving a simple Toyota Camry as my every day driver.

Regards,
SixCats!

Glad to be able to help out with picking a light, SixCats!

Most all of the lights discussed in this thread offer incredible value for low cost.

My EDC consists of a Maratac stainless AAA on my keychain and a SL MicroStream clipped in my shirt pocket.

95 percent of the time when I need light, I reach for the MicroStream because it's so quick and easy to use. The Maratac serves mainly as a backup light and carrier of a spare cell for the MicroStream. The Maratac does get used on occasion, when I need a very low light level, or if I need a lot of light for a short time.

You should also check out the new version SL Stylus Pro 2AAA - sort of a big brother to the smaller 1AAA MicroStream. 48 lumens output with runtime of over 6 hours. Brightguy has a good deal on these right now for 16 bucks:
http://www.brightguy.com/products/Streamlight_Stylus_PRO.php

I have the old version Stylus Pro that I sometimes carry instead of the MicroStream if I'm expecting to need to use a light for an extended period. Fits great in a shirt pocket and has the same great switch as MicroStream.

ringzero

Flashlight Enthusiast
^^^^

That Streamlight Stylus Pro that is on sale @ Brightguy (for $16.00) is the older 24 lumen model.. ;)

Ooops, shoulda read the fine print. ;>

Still a good deal at 16 bucks.

However, if you can afford it, then I'd advise you to pony up the extra 3.95 for the new version Stylus Pro. Great light for 20 bucks.

EnduringEagle

Enlightened
This may be sacrilegious on this forum but I just bought 3-150 lumen AAA lights with CREE XPE LED's for $15 for backup/hurricane season at Costco. They are techlights and do 150/100 and strobe. On low/medium I threw it in a filled bath tub and it went for 3.7 hours. Are they tanks? No.. Are they built like junk? No.. But for this price you can keep one in the house, car and EDC bag. I will say that they throw better than my Quark 123 S2...