Best flashlight for under $50

Egsise

Banned
I had an older P10A2. Dropped it on the floor and the lens shattered. Got that replaced and got the lens modification from Eagletac. Dropped it on a carpeted floor and the lens cracked. Gave up after that.

I found some posts about Eagletac and cracked lenses, have that kind of problems solved with the new models?

I would like to buy some of the new Eagletac models but....
I know that my Fenix TK20 does not brake if i accidentally drop it, has anyone tried that with new Eagletacs?

JaguarDave-in-Oz

Enlightened
I dropped my P100C2 onto a wooden floor a while back and nothing cracked bent or broke. I don't yet really want to try it with my new MkII P20C2 since I've only had it a week or so but the lens looks pretty well mounted and also insulated from the stainless bezel itself by a thickish ring of aluminium and O ring.

OCD

Enlightened
+1 on Quarks. With the 2*AA model, you can get an single AA or CR123 body for multiple configurations, and sizes.

Egsise

Banned
LOL I've seen people grasping at straws to justify their purchase before. But bringing up button drop durability as an issue is a first :crackup: In a drop, the tailcap is not likely to be damaged. The bezel and lens is far more likely to be damaged, followed by the driver as both are not usually shock insulated by a spring and are usually at the heavy end of the light which strikes first. Just look at Surefire's lights and see how many have a protruding tailcap. If it was an issue, they would have stopped making it that way a long time ago.

But I am curious if you know of any real life examples of these swithes failing due to protuding. Like toaster stated, if this were a real problem the manufacturers probably would not be making them this way.

SF has rebuilt two of my lights, one twice, after serious falls damaged tailcaps and/or bezels.

resurrecting the dead. :)

I know I know, that was 4y ago, but has the SF changed anything in their tailcaps after that...
Well anyway, if it can happen it propably will... and it has....so why take the risk?

flight medic

Newly Enlightened
Fenix TK20, using "CPF8" code at 4sevens, it comes in below $50.

Boy, 7 years really makes a difference. The TK20's are over $100 now. Came across this thread in Google while trying to find cheaper alternatives to the Surefire torches I've been buying (and losing) over the years.

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
Usually we don't let totally old threads get bumped. But it would be interesting to compare what we considered $50.00 lights then and now, 7 years later. Welcome to CPF.

Bill

ven

Flashaholic
Well Bill, i will throw a couple of lights(make it 3) in right now near budget that i think stand out(bang for buck).
General few suggested, not perfectly suited ...............just ideas what 50 bucks can get you today.
No order, Convoy L6
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?419516-Review-Convoy-L6-(XHP-70-2x26650)
D4
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?436522-Noctigon-Meteor-D4

L6 can be found for around $50, hard to beat for a good xhp70 hitter. The D4 is pretty new, mtn electronics sells out within hours, Hank at int outdoor is the other option. Around $40, your getting around 4000lm(LED choice dependent) from a light that can slip in your pocket(similar size to a zebralight..............they are tiny!)

Still today, the surefire 6p is a great choice of light, be it for a host or to use the bulb. Drop ins can be bought from around $10.......up to what you want to pay really. Choices of LED's, drivers, optics, reflectors really do give plenty of options to suit most.........very flexible option.
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?182392-Why-is-the-SureFire-6P-so-good

Cheers! :)

:welcome:flight medic