Butter and Bread and Sandwiches Oh My!

Status
Not open for further replies.

nbp

Flashaholic
Thanks Qoose!

I should mention the sandwiches that I had for lunch. A bakery near my house has a hot ham special on Sundays, and I finally made it over there today to get some. A pound of ham and 6 fresh hard rolls for $5.99.

So I sliced two crusty hard rolls, put mayo on one side of each, and dijon mustard on the other side (I LOVE Grey Poupon :drool:). Then a nice pile of hot ham, and a slice of swiss cheese. So simple, so easy to make, but so tasty!

doktorziplok

Newly Enlightened
allow me to introduce the perfect sandwich: the cuban.

a pile of smoked pork and turkey atop a hoagie bun slathered with honey mustard dressing, tomato, pickle slices and havarti cheese...squished flat.

toast your hoagie roll (i use bolillo rolls) and heat up some smoked turkey and pork. slather both halves of the roll in a quality honey mustard. then assemble from the bottom up: roll bottom, turkey, pickle, tomato, cheese, pork, roll top. press flat and enjoy.

guiri

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hear hear, nbp!

Damn, I love this thread and ziplok, damn that's a lot of stuff on that bun :)

DM51

Flashaholic
Hey Mr. Noggin, surely you mean Eng. rather than Fr. mustard? Perfect with ham. Vital that the ham is not too dry...

Also, rare roast beef & horseradish sauce... drrooool...

Acid87

Enlightened
This thread was amazing before. Im sure we will make this one just as good if not better.

Remember that bread must always be BUTTERED no matter what. You can add other things like mayo etc later.
Warm bread with anything is great.

Meganoggin

Enlightened
Hey Mr. Noggin, surely you mean Eng. rather than Fr. mustard? Perfect with ham. Vital that the ham is not too dry...

Also, rare roast beef & horseradish sauce... drrooool...

You are completely correct DM, but I wasn't sure my American Cousins could handle the real thing - Coleman's Mustard, made from powder in the yellow tin.

If you mix it up just right, it can completely clear your sinuses and bring a tear to the eye with just one taste :eek::poof::wow:

jugg2

Enlightened
I love plain white bread with a generous spread of Duke's Mayo and some fried Spam. Gotta be the best sandwich ever IMHO!

Caleb Wilson

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was raised on peanut butter and banana

Ditto! Oh, and Bannanas and Mayo!

One I forgot to add...Fried Bologne and Mayo with a dash of salt and pepper!!!

What's also good on a hamburger is mayo/ketchup mixed, red onions, and CUCUMBER slices! Learned that from some friends when I was in Iceland...they also mix mustard/mayo/ketchup for there hotdogs and top them with french onions, which is also very good!

nbp

Flashaholic
AoW, your recipes there remind me of a good topping my mom and and I do for fried fish: mix mayo and Frank's Red Hot. Put that on your next piece of fried perch or cod sammie and you won't be going back to tartar sauce soon.

mvyrmnd

Flashlight Enthusiast
For me, it's a Ham, Sweet mustard pickle and Mayo.

The ham's just there so my wife doesn't think I'm odd. I'd be just as happy without it.

My dad's all about Beetroot and cheese sandwiches.

bedazzLED

Enlightened
Over the years I've had four favorites that have stood the test of time.

1. Smoked Tasmanian salmon, avocado, roasted capsicums and lettuce on fresh Vienna bread.
2. Honey and Walnut mixed in equal quantities, spread in between two toasted and buttered slices of Vienna bread.
3. Vegemite (yes I'm an Aussie) and Feta cheese between two toasted and buttered slices of Vienna bread.
4. A slice of Vienna bread, buttered, sprinkled with sugar. YUM!

Sorry, gotta go, I need a sandwich!

Meganoggin

Enlightened
Talking of mustard: DM51 here you go!

6aa0ec60.jpg

DM51

Flashaholic
Talking of mustard: DM51 here you go!
Yes, that's the real stuff! :thumbsup: It only takes a jiffy to mix it, as you'll know - just stir with a little water. One of those tins lasts ages. Absolutely no comparison with the rather orange-colored ready-mixed goop you get in the small jars - it's a totally different taste. Fantastic with steak, and all sorts of other things.

I urge anyone whose only experience of Eng. mustard is from a jar or sachet to get a tin of powder like this and try it. You'll be blown away by the difference, I guarantee it. Mr. Noggin knows what he's talking about. :)

Meganoggin

Enlightened
Making mustard from powder in small amounts is the best method - keeps it fresh. The problem with the ready mixed 'goop' is that it looses its pungency and taste once you open the jar.

Is Colmans Mustard powder easily found in the US DM51?

Status
Not open for further replies.