Canon Point and Shoot Cameras Hacked "CHDK"...

chimo

Flashlight Enthusiast
here is a picture i took with chdk in a completly dark room no light other then the oring thats like 10 feet away from camera.i even turned off camera lcd

It's amazing how much detail is still in the lowlights.

img0123hx1wr0.jpg

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
NICE shot raggster! Is that one of the Glo-Rings you recently got from me?

I was holding off on this, but maybe I should go ahead & look for my A620's build? The high speed shutter pics of the water posted earlier were wild!

raggie33

*the raggedier*
yes sig it was one of em .i love them rings..you will love the hack it was kinda confuseing to me. but i dont think the wiki was to clear..with this new firmware from cdhk ya on some cams can even use it as a flashlight. and play games on it.but i liked the 100 second shuter speed the most. .on my cam i think i could also go as fast as 1/10000 speed shuter to.not bad for a 130 buck camera. the coolest thing is soon as ya turn off the camera it goes back to the original firmware.incase ya dont like cdhk.

AndyTiedye

Flashlight Enthusiast
Canon really doesn't have to worry about the P&S cameras cannibalizing sales of the EOS series. The EOS series is all about the LENSES. Interchangeable lenses, all the way up to their top-of-the-line L series. You can't get that by hacking the firmware.

I applied a CHDK hack to my Rebel 300D as Canon intentionally severely crippled the firmware. I got some basic features back such as flash exposure compensation.

What version of CHDK works on the 300D? That model isn't even listed on the CHDK page I saw.

Last edited:

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Rebel (300D) was the first Canon CHDK project and probably not at all related to the folks who are doing the current version as this was a couple of years now. It was also known as the "Wasia hack" and you can do a search on that and find out more. The Rebel 300D was the first sub $1000 DSLR and Canon had crippled a lot of the features, very basic ones such as FEC, in order to separate it from the 10D at the time. The Rebel XT is a much more advanced camera and the bodies are much cheaper now so that I kick around getting one.

Canon really doesn't have to worry about the P&S cameras cannibalizing sales of the EOS series. The EOS series is all about the LENSES. Interchangeable lenses, all the way up to their top-of-the-line L series. You can't get that by hacking the firmware.

What version of CHDK works on the 300D? That model isn't even listed on the CHDK page I saw.

BB

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hooray!

The Canon A720is has been ported to the current Allbest version of CHDK and it seems functional in my camera (I am not an expert)...

You can read about it in this thread... Post 145 (on page 10) points to the camera file and a small windows program to make the SD Card bootable.

One warning, if you have SD cards larger than 2GByte in size, you will need to format them as FAT 16 (which normally supports a maximum of 2GB cards) for the CHDK program to be booted in the camera.

Since the A720is uses a new OS (Canon's "DryOS") that has been successfully ported--hopefully that means some of Canon's other new cameras will be ported soon (within weeks or a couple of months).

Now to read about how to use the details of CHDK.

-Bill