Check out what happened to my reflector!

mattyg

Newly Enlightened
My poor LOP reflector from my ROP-LE:

lop.jpg

I noticed this stange phenomena after using it in fairly cold temps. It's almost like the 'lop' surface has delaminated from the base of the reflector in several areas. Thermodynamics anyone? It doesn't affect beam pattern at all, presumably because I am using a frosted bulb. Anyone else ever have this oocur? I guess I'm in the market for a new reflector - who's got a cammed version?

roguesw

Enlightened
yup, had that happen to my L4 reflector with the exact patern as yours. What had happened was i had "stupidly" put the L4 head on the electric stove top oven to heat it up to break the loc tite, previous 5 attempts at boiling had failed. I was supposed to leave it on there for a few seconds but i underestimated how hot the hot plate was, it delaminated the coating from the reflector.
When it cools down, those oval spots stay there. Now when i run my L4 for extended periods of time, they bubble up again but goes back to normal when the head cools down.
Because the L4 reflector is aluminum, there is no cracking like yours.
it doesnt affect the beam at all and i am hesitant to do anything about it until it starts flaking off, then i would probably just remove the coating and have a nice flood light.

mattyg

Newly Enlightened
I didn't realize it was a coating. And it hasn't cracked, it's just permanently bubbled up.

Last edited: