Coffee: drip vs percolate vs...

What are your favorite methods for brewing coffee?

• Total voters

ryball

Newly Enlightened
In news to make me cry, I just set 2.5lbs. of SM's Moka Kadir blend on fire this weekend. :poof:

I fired up the drum roaster for xmas duty and while on my second batch, my neighbor came over to see what I was doing... right as 2nd crack was starting. blah, blah, blah, and poof, fire. :mecry:

kwkarth

Enlightened
In news to make me cry, I just set 2.5lbs. of SM's Moka Kadir blend on fire this weekend. :poof:

I fired up the drum roaster for xmas duty and while on my second batch, my neighbor came over to see what I was doing... right as 2nd crack was starting. blah, blah, blah, and poof, fire. :mecry:
Oh man, what a bummer! What kind of roaster?

da.gee

Enlightened

Would that be a city roast?

kwkarth

Enlightened
Yeah must have. I think it was the exact same bag as what Lux used.

That test between SB's and Mckky D's was an absolute crock. First off most people have never had anything but McDonald's coffee so that is what tastes "right" to them. Secondly they only used one kind of coffee from SB's! One! I don't like most or even half of the coffees SB's sell but you just can't take one kind and make it seem that that is Starbucks coffee. Surely you don't like every kind of coffee SM sells right? Would you say SM's was no good since one of their lines was "bad"? Their logic, or lack thereof, is just mind blowing.

I sure wish I could get the green beans of the Ethiopia Sidamo. I don't doubt one second what you guys have said about how outstanding the fresh roasted is but I did expect it to be better than what I tried from both of you. In the end I think it will be a matter of finding the bean with the flavors that make my mouth water so and fresh roasting those. I have certainly learned more about coffee since I entered this thread than I ever had before and that is thanks to you guys.lovecpfThanks!
Saabluster,
I'm so sorry the beans didn't make it to you intact. So much for the post office and their ability to successfully ship some roasted coffee without smashing the package to smithereens. I'm sorry, but it must take a moron or a nasty person to do such damage to a simple Priority Mail package in the Post Office. Either way, they do not deserve the employment they enjoy.

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Saabluster,
I'm so sorry the beans didn't make it to you intact. So much for the post office and their ability to successfully ship some roasted coffee without smashing the package to smithereens. I'm sorry, but it must take a moron or a nasty person to do such damage to a simple Priority Mail package in the Post Office. Either way, they do not deserve the employment they enjoy.
No biggie Kev. Not your fault. It was interesting to see the difference between your beans and Lux's. Yours were dry looking while his had an oily layer on them. I assume this must be a difference from the different roast levels?

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
No biggie Kev. Not your fault. It was interesting to see the difference between your beans and Lux's. Yours were dry looking while his had an oily layer on them. I assume this must be a difference from the different roast levels?

I lather mine in suntan oil to give you fantasies of being on a Carribean beach while sipping some Jo. :crackup:

Another thought since reportedly smugglers ship drugs in coffee grounds to throw off scent dogs, maybe the P.O. decided to chop into Kev's beans looking for suspicious things!!!

That's true about wide variations on beans from any source, including SB's. That study was most likely not objective, but SB's sales have been dropping, and franchises closing commensurate with their declining quality control, prices, over-expansion, and declining brand reputation.

Speaking of Ethiopian Sidamo, there are green beans for sale at SM's here. Maybe I'll grab some to see what you are raving about. Tom gives this batch a damn high cupping score also.

Edit: Just scored 10#'s

Last edited:

kwkarth

Enlightened
I have to report more coffee changes in our household.

I made a trip to a local SurLaTable to look at Shun / Bob Kramer knives, thinking there might be some deals to be had...

Long story short, after looking at the Kramer knives, my attention turned to the plethora of single cup coffee brewing machines. I have been reading up on Tassimo, Keurig, Saeco, and Nespresso creations.

After looking I was offered a cup of espresso from a Nespresso CitiZ machine. I was shocked. I had picked a rather lightly roasted coffee which if fresh, should have exhibited a bouquet of varietal aromas and flavors. What I expected was characteristic staleness of over roasted coffee.

What I experienced was quite a revelation and a surprise!

For a few years, I've had a rather fancy espresso machine at home, which cost 4 times what this little CitiZ machine cost. I've fed my monster espresso machine, with all its double boilers, dials and gauges, the best fresh roasted and ground coffee I could manage to produce and ALWAYS had been less than completely satisfied with the results.

Here from this little CitiZ Nespresso machine in the store, from a sealed pre-ground capsule, roasted over six months earlier, I was holding in my hand, and under my nose, and before my eyes, as near perfect a demitasse of espresso as I've ever had the pleasure of tasting, smelling, and seeing. The aroma! The taste! The crema!

How can this be? My coffee world was collapsing! I tried another, and another. Different varieties and blends, which tasted pretty much as they were described. No prep, no process, no cleanup. Little cost. How can this be?

I left the store with a CitiZ+Milk model in hand.

Somehow, these Nestle guys have found a way to produce consistent and exemplary results in espresso!

When home, I tried the milk frothing attachment and it worked amazingly well too!

So my coffee world has been turned upside down. I've given my big espresso machine to one of our daughters and her husband.

I will report more as the honeymoon wears off. :D

http://www1.nespresso.com/precom/n_home_us_en.html

Last edited:

DoctaDink

Enlightened
:eek: Can it be? Just when I was gearing up to become a coffee snob...now I've got to toss out of the esoterica and buy a machine that uses coffee capsules...eek.

Keep us up to date with your new adventure.

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
Here from this little CitiZ Nespresso machine in the store, from a sealed pre-ground capsule, roasted over six months earlier, I was holding in my hand, and under my nose, and before my eyes, as near perfect a demitasse of espresso as I've ever had the pleasure of tasting, smelling, and seeing. The aroma! The taste! The crema!

How can this be? My coffee world was collapsing! I tried another, and another. Different varieties and blends, which tasted pretty much as they were described. No prep, no process, no cleanup. Little cost. How can this be?

I left the store with a CitiZ+Milk model in hand.

Somehow, these Nestle guys have found a way to produce consistent and exemplary results in espresso!

When home, I tried the milk frothing attachment and it worked amazingly well too!

So my coffee world has been turned upside down. I've given my big espresso machine to one of our daughters and her husband.

I will report more as the honeymoon wears off. :D

http://www1.nespresso.com/precom/n_home_us_en.html

That does look nice. You have to get locked into using their capsules I assume though. Let's see Amazon sells this with free shipping for $309 here.

I registered at their site which seems to be the only way I could see their coffee capsule lists. Wonder what is in that "Welcome Offer @ $110 which if you select it says 200 caps. 2-Day shipping seems to stay @ $6.95 even if you order 1,000 caps

Figure 2+ cups per day....that's about $500/yr. I never really got involved with expresso, but I know it can add up with expenses a lot faster than regular Sweet Maria home roasting setup coffee. Hmmmm....I feel like a fish on the hook....fighting.

kwkarth

Enlightened
That does look nice. You have to get locked into using their capsules I assume though. Let's see Amazon sells this with free shipping for $309 here.

I registered at their site which seems to be the only way I could see their coffee capsule lists. Wonder what is in that "Welcome Offer @ $110 which if you select it says 200 caps. 2-Day shipping seems to stay @ $6.95 even if you order 1,000 caps

Figure 2+ cups per day....that's about $500/yr. I never really got involved with expresso, but I know it can add up with expenses a lot faster than regular Sweet Maria home roasting setup coffee. Hmmmm....I feel like a fish on the hook....fighting.

I hope to receive the welcome offer tomorrow. I ordered it yesterday. 110 bux gets you 220/230 shots, plus a nice presentation / storage case for coffee. Comes with samples of all of their coffee blends/varieties. I bought my machine Monday, ordered several replacement "sleeves" (ten espresso/lungo capsules in each sleeve) of coffee that evening. The coffee arrived on Wednesday afternoon, before we had consumed the 16 capsules that came with the machine. The CitiZ&Milk also comes with a $50 coupon which has to be filled out and mailed in to redeem.

All of their coffees have merit and cover a wide range of roast profiles, blends, and varieties. It's hard to imagine needing more variety than this, particularly when considering the additional permutations offered by the all the frothy thingies one can concoct.

Warning: This thing is so easy to use and clean up after, and makes such a fantastic quality finished product, that you will receive no end of complements, but, you will no longer be able to take any credit for your skills as a roaster, blender, grinder, or barista, because it's all done for you by Nespresso. :twothumbs