Compass in my truck - problems!

BIGIRON

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: UPDATE: ARGH!!! Compass in my truck - problems!

If I remember correctly, the instructions on the one I set up was that you had to do a new set up every time you moved the compass.

Time for new truck? One with a dog seat?

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic

You might be right about setup...

BUT! I had it here, I had it there. On the windshield it might read 89E when I'm pointed S-SW. I pop it off the window, draw it back a foot or so and see SW 249 or so.

Another trick is I have a handle for dies (making threads) on my box. If it is held up in front of the compass on the windshield, it will read somewhat correctly, WITHOUT showing a distortion readout!

I truly don't get it.

I moved the cheapy suction cup job away from the A pillar about 6" or so, and it seems to be okay. It doesn't want to be too close to the roof, the dash or the A Pillar. It dances around a LOT, especially over bumps and stuff. But SEEMS to say W when it should as well as other directions.

A 'new' used truck (Cummins Turbo Dodge) might be as little as a year away, but more likely two...

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic

I calibrated the Digital yet again. I have it just about under the left end of the rearview mirror, about halfway from mirror to dash.

At least on the Three turn journey from where I calibrated to back home, it did ok. We'll see next time I turn it on!

brightnorm

Flashaholic

[ QUOTE ]
PlayboyJoeShmoe said:
...ARGH!!!!!!!! It seems utterly hopeless now.
At least Bart is turning into a REALLY great dog!...

[/ QUOTE ]
Clearly, the best dog-gone compass location is on Bart's collar.

Brightnorm