Cool flashlight story of the day

andyw513

Enlightened
it's weird how the "un-enlightened" people would see low as very bright, when we cpf'ers think high isn't bright enough...

lol, I was just thinking of this tonight when I went to my car to get a book out and my Cree-powered Coleman Max 3xAAA seemed "dim" to me. So I grabbed my sand Solarforce L2 and actually made it off the porch...the whole time I was looking into the dark mountains and thinking "Boy, my EagleTac M2 would really light everything up..." ...so yeah, i agree with what you're saying 100%, lol

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast
i would have given a LOT for a zebralight h501 19 years ago when i was a conscript in the local army. a couple of us were sent overseas as the advance party to prepare for an armoured exercise, as part of our duties (we were all armour signallers (usually APC mounted) cross trained to drive landrovers) we had to mount signal sets in the landrovers.

10 guys, 20 landrovers, pitch black, POS lights. The equipment was simply packed in plastic sheets secured with heavy staples and you guessed it right, staples would come loose from the store tent to the vehicle and handsets, nuts and bolts and other loose bits would tumble into the night (sloped ground), man, we musta lost a huge amount of stores that night. Some signal sets were only secured to the mounting boards in the back of the landrovers with 2 bolts instead of 4 and there were things missing too.

At that time, the creme de la creme of lights available in singapore was the 2xAA minimag incand, i had some plastic, white bodied, yellow headed everready 2xAA (parallel) which let me see maybe 5 feet and was NO HELP at all lookin for stuff on the ground.

Now, my brother in law when he has to go back for training for his reservist duty, returned my Ultrafire C3 (with 2xAA extension) telling me it was too bright and completely non tactical, he was spotted using it about a hundred metres away, and putting red cling film over it didnt help.

Gonna pass him an Akoray K106 if i ever get my orders in. (why the heck does it take KD TWO weeks to PACK? are they using fingerless elves to do the work or what?)

*Dusty*

Enlightened
I had gone with my brother to do a wedding in Scotland which involved a bit of a drive, cross the Irish sea on a ferry, another drive, photo's of the happy couple (i was merely a navigator, driver and general umbrella holder).

Anyway, the return crossing was well after midnight and inexplicably in the middle of the Irish sea the boat just stopped and EVERYTHING went black. No generator, no engine, nothing. A couple of young kids started to panic a bit, and I happened to have 3 or 4 little cheapie LED's which work gave me, this was before I knew better and thought they were great.

Long story short, I handed out 3 flashlights and the kids actually had a great adventure out of it, which made my day and their parents. I have kids of my own and would like to think if it ever happened to them (like they will ever be let out without a light!!) someone would offer them some comfort.

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast
when dusty posted and said how lights were given to kids, it triggered an incident which i had forgotten.

was attending a barbecue by the beach, it was getting pretty dark and my friends' kids were just being kids, running around all over the place, parents being parents were getting worried and i just happened to have a newly arrived pack of DX fauxtons.

gathered the kids and stuck fauxtons on them wherever i could, through belt loops, using string to tie to buckles, buttonholes etc. end result? you could see little lights running around the barbecue area, let the kids keep the lights

bansuri

Enlightened
f DX fauxtons.
Fauxtons=funny!
I also use those inexpensive lights for an introduction to flashlights for kids. Funny how kids automatically recognize how fundamental the advantage of portable light is and some adults never do until they need it. Occasionally an adult will look at those little keychains and remark like they've made some discovery, "Hey, this little thing is pretty bright!"
No duh.