CPF's Folding @ Home team-let's help cure diseases!

RA40

Flashlight Enthusiast
One of my boxes went down over the night. Will have to figure out what happened and it might be a few days if I need parts. :( At least my workroom is quieter and it will be cooler. ;)

headophile

Enlightened
I Fold on Nvidia cards so I'm not up to date on the ATI client. From some quick looks, 3K PPD is still a reasonable contribution to F@H. I would say give it a go and see how it does. If Stanford has an updated client for the ATI GPU all the better.

http://techreport.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=68889&p=977914

The download page:
http://folding.stanford.edu/English/DownloadWinOther

how do you determine the ppd?

joined cpf team though i dunno how much time and resources i can devote to this as electricity is really expensive here right now. i got a score of 384 for 1 work unit and 768 for 2 units. not sure of the significance of that.

my machine is intel e8400 + ati hd5850. i'm using the v6 gpu2 version of f@h.

thanks.

RA40

Flashlight Enthusiast
Congrats and thanks for contributing to F@H! Every little bit helps and contribute what you are comfortable doing.

Here are some stats for your contributions thus far:
http://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/user_summary.php?s=&u=515959

If you are running only one instance of F@H whether it is the CPU or GPU client the above link will show the PPD for what you have completed. As a new Folder, it will take a few days to fully calculate the PPD average.

This is the list of projects and their associated point totals. The project # is at the beginning and end when it is downloaded or the results set up.
http://fah-web.stanford.edu/psummary.html

I was discussing the resources on another forum, my electricity usage is about $2/day. That is using 2-8800GT cards, 1-GTX260-C216, AMD X2 550 and an X4 955. I am a bit above normal as I hit Tier 4 last month at $.27 kWh. All for a good cause and this is my small way of helping.

headophile

Enlightened
i agree, i like this cause. if i had my rig under full load 24/7 though, i'm pretty sure i'd rack up an electricity bill that's at least thrice (most probably more) what you pay for both your computers combined. :(

thanks for the info. i'll try to maybe do 2-3 work units a day as my small contribution :)

r_x

Newly Enlightened
After over a year of folding for the team I will be in second place within the next 24 hours or so. :twothumbs

These 6701 units have been killing my SMP machines, taking just over a day to complete.

Last edited:

ASheep

Enlightened
I've just started this on my macbook pro, the fans drive me insane at full blast :O I may have to rebuild one of my old machines for this project...

RA40

Flashlight Enthusiast
ASheep, thanks for helping the CPF F@H team. :)

Congrats r_x! :)

We're doing well with everyone's contributions.

With the warmer weather, I'll be taking the GPU's off line during the days. With a computer on each side of the desk both venting at 100F+/38C, it is a bit uncomfortable to work. Was nice during winters where it keeps the room at 74F/23.5C but summers, not so. :(

jellydonut

Enlightened
Woah, didn't know this forum had one of these. Thanks for bumping up the thread.

I used to be involved on a different team but the combination of their inactivity and the extreme instability of the NVIDIA GPU client led me to quit.:sigh:

I'll have to try again for CPF, I hope the GPU client won't still be bluescreening my PC every other day.

edit - nevermind guys, I see the amount of jerking around to get it working has gone even further beyond my threshold. http://foldingforum.org/viewtopic.php?f=59&t=14683&p=144605&hilit=cudasetdeviceflags#p144605

It's okay to donate the usage of my hardware and kilowatts/hr, but the amount of time needed to make their emotional piece of software work is not something I feel like donating at the present time.

Last edited:

RA40

Flashlight Enthusiast
jellydonut...the Nvidia GPU client is quite easy to set-up in most cases. If want to give it a shot, I'll be happy to help.

jellydonut

Enlightened
Yeah it was the last time I used it as well. Now they want me to replace CUDA files and stuff apparently.

I'll have a look later when I don't have a bunch of other stuff irritating me, like for instance this piece of pasta that has dug itself into the former home of my wisdom tooth.:fail: It's so far down I have to go the dentist tomorrow. For a piece of pasta.:tired: Not in the right mood for messing with non-functioning software today..

RA40

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was rudely interrupted Friday evening by a power outage in the house. I'd seen rats run across the wall and first thought, I hope one of those isn't in the attic space having a meal. From our last rat encounter, I had closed up any potential openings so this had me baffled.

As it worked out, a wall receptacle of 42 years had seen better days and went on a permanent vacation. It was just off the main panel so everything south went with it. Lost about 70 of the electricity in the house. The electrician left a few hours ago and we got things back to normal. Luckily the line the fridge was on was still good otherwise, it would have been very problematic.

No TV and like some couples jokes, we spent the evening hours talking. We both survived....LOL. Wife commented that it was nice not having the computer on...and my work room was actually the same temp as the rest of the house. ;)

I'm going to swap in a new larger capacity hard drive so once that is integrated, I'll fire up the F@H again. Saturday or so.

Keep it going guys. :D

RA40

Flashlight Enthusiast
The GTX 460 came the other day, out came the 8800 and 9800 GT cards. It did 16 GPU 3 WU's in a day at 611 points each. Just short of 10.5K PPD of the other two cards combined.
Amazing what these video cards will do in terms of WU's. This one does a 10632 WU at 53 seconds per step.

The offset is this card runs far cooler at 47C and consumes less electricity than the others. At least as far as what I've read about the GTX 460 power consumption. I'm happy. The power supply will handle another 460 card but now that I have a cooler work room, I'm not so urged to add another card to increase the heat or bring the electricity use up.

RA40

Flashlight Enthusiast
A bump for a worthy medical research project.

I'm still running basically the same conservative boxes:

AMD X4 955
EVGA GTX 260-216

AMD X2 550 soon to be replaced with a X4 965
EVGA GTX 460 (This card is Folding for another forum I'm active on.)

RA40

Flashlight Enthusiast
Been having a heat spell and the work room where these computers are makes it uncomfortable. I'm going to cease the F@H for the time being. Will get them back up in the fall season.

Search

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would see this after selling my setup:

ASUS P8Z68-V Pro
Intel i5 2500k @ 4.8 Ghz
EVGA GTX 590
G.SKILL RipJaw 8GB
Noctua NH-D14
Corsair AX850
Crucial M4
Samsung SpinPoint F3
ASUS Xonar Essence STX

Among a large number of other goodies.

.. Oh well :(

RA40

Flashlight Enthusiast
With the weather cooling I powered the other box up. Put in an order for an EVGA GTX 560 Ti 448 Classified Ultra, that will replace the well aged GTX 260-216. The Kepler GPU sounded interesting but until F@H has the code optimized for that hardware, I'm not so willing to jump. Like my flashlight buying, computer parts aren't in my sights as regular updates. So where does the money go? Hahahaha....

Latest posts