CROSSING THE LINE-"WHEN IS TOO MUCH TOO MUCH???!!!

tatasal

Flashlight Enthusiast
There is no such thing as 'crossing the line'.....because that line is not static

jonwkng

Flashlight Enthusiast
I suppose there isn't ever a "too much" for a flashaholic. So long as you're spending within your means and you do not get into trouble with your significant other (if you have one), then just enjoy your flashlights. Whether it is someone buying the same flashlight in SS, Ti, Cu, Brass or someone buying all the flashlights in a series of lights for completeness... It is a passion, not an obsession (or so we tell ourselves). As mentioned, have fun with your flashlights. :laughing:

CarpentryHero

Flashlight Enthusiast
I hover around 70, I tried thinning the herd but I end up buying new ones.
14 in 10 months, isn't that bad as long as you can afford it ;)

my advice, read other people's reviews, learn the terminology by reading others reviews of your own lights. You can educate yourself on your next purchase instead of pulling the trigger when it hits the proverbial shelf :)
i buy new, if I don't like enough about it I sell or trade it in CPFMarketplace, we call that catch and release ;)

ghodan

Newly Enlightened
Money wise it is not that much compared to hobby's of other men.
Some buy motor cycles ( 15.000+ euro?).
Some buy nice cars (Nice car with decent power and new is 30.000+ euro?)
Some buy high end mountain or race bikes. (Start at 2500 euro for high end entry class?)

So our flashlight total cost is only a small fraction of what other men spend on their hobby's.
My current flashlight 2buylist has a total price of 1285 euro. It is a list of 19 items.

I also collect some knives. My current 2buylist for that one is 1560 euro.
So Knives&Lights total price for all my wanna-haves is 2845 euro....

What can other guys buy with 2845 euro? 4 new rims for their car and a new sound system?

MartinC

Newly Enlightened
This is funny. You admit your addiction on a flashlight forum.
You ever heard the saying: "Giving the fox the keys to the henhouse"? :D

subwoofer

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well done, you have taken the first step by admitting your addiction.

Now CPF is not Flashaholics Anonymous, we are not here to help you get over your addiction, but will encourage you to get just one more - you know it won't hurt, just one more.

That said, yes there is a line when you have too many. I would say this is when you open a drawer and say 'oh, I had forgot about that one'. If you can't keep track, that is too far.

One question I would ask is how much do you actually use a torch, and is it just 'because' or did you need to use it?

I use a torch regularly and with good purpose (well that is what I tell myself), but if being honest, this makes my primary need for headlamps and only a backup requirement a hand-held lights.

For the night time switch-off of the house lights and appliances I do this by torchlight/headlamp every day. For evening tasks (rubbish, recycling, trip to the garage etc) I use a headlamp. I also need lights for hunting and use a variety of search lights, hand-held and gun mounted. Overall my regular users number about 10 lights. The others are spares or relegated to the backups drawer.

I feel I have crossed the line and now need to get rid of some. Your own line will present itself and you will self regulate, or if not you will become one of the hoarders we see on TV.

TEEJ

Flashaholic
Well done, you have taken the first step by admitting your addiction.

Now CPF is not Flashaholics Anonymous, we are not here to help you get over your addiction, but will encourage you to get just one more - you know it won't hurt, just one more.

That said, yes there is a line when you have too many. I would say this is when you open a drawer and say 'oh, I had forgot about that one'. If you can't keep track, that is too far.

One question I would ask is how much do you actually use a torch, and is it just 'because' or did you need to use it?

I use a torch regularly and with good purpose (well that is what I tell myself), but if being honest, this makes my primary need for headlamps and only a backup requirement a hand-held lights.

For the night time switch-off of the house lights and appliances I do this by torchlight/headlamp every day. For evening tasks (rubbish, recycling, trip to the garage etc) I use a headlamp. I also need lights for hunting and use a variety of search lights, hand-held and gun mounted. Overall my regular users number about 10 lights. The others are spares or relegated to the backups drawer.

I feel I have crossed the line and now need to get rid of some. Your own line will present itself and you will self regulate, or if not you will become one of the hoarders we see on TV.

BUT, remember that 1 = 0

2 = 1, etc.

:D

TEEJ

Flashaholic
When you buy a new light, determine if one of the older ones can be replaced. I sold all my lights on CPFMP. Sell them before they become obsolete by more than one generation back. Thats how I kept my addiction in control. I only keep the current/best model. There is a good used market for well-cared for lights.

It helps too that new models are arriving more slowly. 3-4 years ago LED's seemed to be doubling in power every 6 months. Now we are getting 7-12 percent gains once or twice a year.

Unless you remember to count the new MTG2's that have ~ double the output of the XML2's, etc.

At present, there are single LED lights pumping out over 3k lumens.

TEEJ

Flashaholic
Teej the philosopher and comedian!!:twothumbs

Good analogy!!!

I was on single websites for a few years a few years back!! Had a great time!! The disease of more kicked in,then got tired of the scene and settled for one with all around great qualities! She is bright, long lasting and has a glowing personality!

We will see how long She lasts! We are walking the pooches tomorrow evening and I am going to try to impress her with my TK-75!!

Ciao,,,Roberto,,,"Capo di Capo" "KEEP LIGHTING UP THE DARKNESS"

If you use those extensions on the TK75, it could back fire if she thinks you are trying to compensate for short run time.....

MOST girls seem to not be impressed by gadgets unless it just enforces a sense of wealth...mostly, the gadgets just make you seem more nerdy. If they LIKE nerds, you are good to go, if not, THEY go instead.

As far as I'm concerned, this acts as a filter to eliminate the ones that would not survive the relationship.

I think the system works, I've been married to the same girl since the '70's.

Last edited:

N8N

Flashlight Enthusiast

Good analogy!!!

I was on single websites for a few years a few years back!! Had a great time!! The disease of more kicked in,then got tired of the scene and settled for one with all around great qualities! She is bright, long lasting and has a glowing personality!

We will see how long She lasts! We are walking the pooches tomorrow evening and I am going to try to impress her with my TK-75!!

Ain't gonna work, unless she's a gadget weenie... I can't think of any female that I've impressed with any kind of light, tool, whatever (and I have a lot of high quality tools.)

About the only thing that's ever got an unsolicited comment was my car (BMW 335i coupe - mine is all black with 19s, so even though it looks stock, it still looks a little extroverted. Yes, I know it's not an M3. I needed a car, it was in my price range, a M3 was not.) and even then, it's a mixed bag. People who know me and know that I've been a car nut my whole life expect me to have a fast, somewhat flashy car and don't think anything of it one way or another. People who *don't* know me either respond positively or assume that I'm compensating for something.

I'm not sure how to impress females actually... I'm kind of like mold, I just grow on you slowly :)

sinnyc

Newly Enlightened

Good analogy!!!

Heheheh, good stuff Capolini. However, In the interest of saving you some difficulty should she ever read this, I'm going to suggest that you replace the highlighted word above with the following: "...then got incredibly lucky when I found the all around perfect one!"

You can thank me later :D:D:D

- Tim

TEEJ

Flashaholic
Heheheh, good stuff Capolini. However, In the interest of saving you some difficulty should she ever read this, I'm going to suggest that you replace the highlighted word above with the following: "...then got incredibly lucky when I found the all around perfect one!"

- Tim

LOL

Good catch Tim!

Capolini

Banned

- Tim
Great point!! lol!!

SETTLED IS NOT TOO COMPLIMENTARY!!!

I have a suggestion!!! Some of you guys ONLY use the same smiley face emoticon!![:D] this one!!!

Lets show some diversification and variety!!! lol!! :clap::wow:;):):thumbsup: like some of these!!!!

Last edited:

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey?!!! That is in less than 10 months! How many did you get in your first 10 months??

first 10 months, idk i have to go back to my early childhood, i can't remember it too well now, it was 30+ years ago, but i had quite a few even than, not counting bulbs\batteries rolled up in cardboard with diy tincan reflectors. lol.

mmace1

Enlightened
From a practicality standpoint, probably more than 5 or so for most people.

From a financial standpoint, it depends on:

1.) your finances,
2.) if you get as much enjoyment out of the beyond-practicality lights, as you would have out of something else that money could have bought.

Cerealand

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sometimes it is not the # of lights, but the number of drop-ins. Within my first 10 months, I purchased a lot more drop-ins than hosts/flashlights.

kj2

Flashaholic
I went a little bit nuts, this year too. At the moment, I'm holding up good. I probably won't buy a new light in this year.

Eric242

Flashlight Enthusiast
It´s all about the fun anyway not about lights, right? cough cough....

At some point I had nearly 80 lights and decided that´s it, I´m selling everything I´m not using. All of my customs except one were sold, most of my surefire too and I ended up with only 17 lights. That was in early 2009. Well, the number went up again to almost 70. This years I got another itch and sold almost 40 lights. Bought a few as well and own 40 right now. There are different forms of addiction (I went from customs to legos to surefires......not sure where I´m now), relapses..... That´s all ok if one considers this a hobby.

Eric

NeedMoreLight

Newly Enlightened
I really don't need all the lights I have, it's just something to do as I pass the time. I started back in 2006, bought maybe 20, quit for a while, bought a few over the years, and now that I have gotten back into it, I found so much new stuff on the market, I was totally lost.
I would have around 50 now, but started giving away some of my older stuff to people who still think a maglight is the top of the food chain.
In the last month I have ordered around 15, and being single, I can get away with it. I am thinking I want two more to fill the void between the 1000 lm and the 2900 lm range. It's only money.

Lord Flashlight

Enlightened
I'm in similar position to the OP. Bought my first proper light at the end of last year and have about ten now. I'd like to get more but feel I've more or less got a light for every occasion now and haven't put what I've got through their paces fully yet. But yes it's a hobby too, I like to walk around with them even in the daytime.