Cummins Turbo Diesel in Dodge Truck!

Kirk

Enlightened
Onyx,
You are absolutely correct about wasting natural resources by having one person drive a gas-guzzler as their everyday vehicle. I am fortunate to be able to afford more than one vehicle (that in itself is a waste of resources!) so I don't have to use my truck very often. Just think if I could only afford one vehicle (a truck) and had to use it for my employment? That would would be bad if I had to pay for the gas on MY time! I hope the manufacturers get their acts together and make more hybrid vehicles--trucks included. This would lead to better performance and gas mileage.
Kirk

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
If they get hybrid technology to do what I need...

My truck weighs right at 8000 pounds before I get in it! It has a Utility body stuffed with tools and parts for what I do. It's a Crew Cab because I got out of a half ton Super Cab and there ain't no way I was giving up behind the seat area (and a Crew is what we found when we looked!).

Like uh, where would you put some batteries in this thing???

For what I need a nice 3/4 ton Dodge Cummins Quad Cab is what the Doc ordered. But the F-350 I drive is what I can get on my Med plan...

Darell

Flashaholic
Okey doke.

I've tried to stay off this thread because I knew I wouldn't be able to stay on topic. But we've had a little drift, and everybody is being very pleasant and seems to be compassionate and reasonable. So first off
icon14.gif
good job, guys. Next, please bear with me as I put on my preaching hat and climb up onto this apple crate.

Originally posted by Kirk:
The US has such cheap gas that most people don't find it a hardship to have a gas-guzzling vehicle.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Gas in the US is only cheap *at the pump* What you don't see is what we're paying for that gas in the form of Federal taxes. The actual price of our gasoline is far higher than it appears at the pump - and even those who don't use any gasoline are still paying for it. Subsidizing the gas, if you will. But your point is still valid that if it is seemingly cheap to fill up a huge tank, then there isn't much incentive to purchase a more efficient form of transportation. Unfortunately, this is the common view and is somewhat short-sighted.

Originally posted by dilettante:
Other people are in a better position to decide what they "need" than I am. It's a free country..
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I'm ALL for choice. The bad news is that MY choice of vehicle, of clean air and of energy independence is quickly being removed from my grasp. The freedom of others to choose to drive 10 or 15mpg vehicles is destroying many of the freedoms that I wish to realize for myself, my family and the world. I would like to choose NOT to have to defend foreign oil rights with military action. I would like to be able to drive a production EV.

Damn... did I mention that I was gonna get all preachy? Hope so...

Originally posted by PlayboyJoeShmoe:
If they get hybrid technology to do what I need...Like uh, where would you put some batteries in this thing???
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Those were valid concerns a few years ago. But not today. The vehicle you need could have been made years ago if the ZEV mandate had teeth back when it was introduced (1998 - and now pushed back for the THIRD time to 2005). Today's hybrids consume no more passenger or cargo volume than a trunk-mounted CD-changer. I'm serious - because the gas engine is smaller, the fuel tank can be smaller as well to make room for the batteries. The side-by-side ICE and electric motor take up the same space as the original large ICE. And really, on a large truck, you'd have to sacrifice NO space. You just hang the batteries under or inside the frame. My Rav4EV loses NO interior space as compared to the ICE version. All the batteries hang under the frame - and since there is no fuel tank, the spare sits under the rear floor instead of hanging out in the breeze off the tailgate.

OK. Back to diesel talk. Thanks for sitting through all this. And please know that I'm fully aware that there are perfectly valid reasons to own and drive large vehicles (many given in this thread). The ones I'd like to see removed from service are the status trucks that are typically single-person commuters, and nothing more. Here in the SF Bay Area we see them more often than Honda Civics. I'm glad the drivers have the choice to drive these things - but I sure wish it weren't at the expense of MY choices. Alternative fuel technology just might create a happy compromise eventually.

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
Im all for comprimise Darell, really I am!

If I could do what I have to do with a little 2Liter Toyota truck I would!

When the technology is available, and I can hope to afford it, I'M IN!

For now I just have to do what I do. I've said before and now say again. I do not "Joy ride". I go specific places and will only stop at somewhere on the way or planned. Period. I HATE to start my truck just to move it a few feet!

So at least although I only get 14.3 mpg MAX (12.14 on todays fillup)... I don't waste any more "cheap" diesel than I must.

I will most likely get the cummins powered Dodge WAY before the Hybrid!

dilettante

Newly Enlightened
I just knew I'd get slammed for not slamming SUVs
wink.gif

I'm familiar with the externalities associated with large vehicles (emissions, bumper height and other threats to other people's safety, etc.). I can't do anything about that except make good choices myself and try to exert what influence as I can over other decision makers (i.e. tease friends considering vehicles I don't think they need and write lawmakers and manufacturers).

That said, having a third child has made me a little more tolerant. If you want to fit three boosters/infant seats into one car your choices are limited. After spending the money for new child safety seats, I *just* managed to get three of them into the back seat of my Golf and frankly it's still kind of a pain to get them in and out. I don't mind much because my Golf is the secondary child transporter in the family. There aren't that many cars with a back seat that's significantly wider than my Golf's. The Passat's is only about a half inch wider. To gain significant width without going to a minivan or SUV your choices are limited to a short list of cars--Avalon, some GM products, the larger Volvo and probably a *few* others--none of which are particularly fuel efficient anyway . . .

Other people have boats, horse trailers, multiple large teenagers, lots of friends and other more or less legitimate excuses or rationales for their choice in vehicles.

Zelandeth

Flashlight Enthusiast
Heh, these vehicles sound interesting...but I think at least for the time beaing, I'll stick to my 1981 Austin Metro HLE (1.0 litre petrol), only 18k miles on, gets me 60+ mpg on a run, and 55 average, generally averaging 60-65mph. OK, it's noisy, about as comfortable as a bed full of carpet tacks, and is bright yellow, but it handles like a big go-Kart..and I'd not swap that for anything. Really amusing seeing folks in big trucks/SUV's catch up with me on a straight part of road...then disappear out of the rear view mirror as we meet a corner.

Darell

Flashaholic
Originally posted by dilettante:
Other people have boats, horse trailers, multiple large teenagers, lots of friends and other more or less legitimate excuses or rationales for their choice in vehicles.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Yup, yup, and yup. That's what - "And please know that I'm fully aware that there are perfectly valid reasons to own and drive large vehicles (many given in this thread)" - was supposed to cover. The drivers I'm after are the SUV single-occupant commuters, not the families that need kid-haulers. Even so, a minivan is a far more effective choice for moving large numbers of humans.

And of course all this comes from a guy who just bought himself a brand-new SUV. I little sissy one, and one that runs on batteries, but an SUV nontheless.
smile.gif

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
Y'all did see in the dieselholics post where I now have a tranny with a lockup torque converter again? It sounds so relaxed at the same 65mph where it was sorta frantic.

I expect at LEAST a whole MPG better! I think I'm gonna pull the visor that someone put on before I got the truck and clean up the aeros just a bit more....

J

jackansi

Isn't there some way you could get an M112 under the hood of your F350 JoeShmoe? Of course I don't know how well a diesel would take to supercharging. I would hope that no matter how old the engine got it would be able to take 3 or 4 psi at least. Granted thats not much of an increase in torque but it may be enough.

If you plan on getting the big dodge eventually, why not go all out and fit a nice sized super or turbo-charger for the next few years
smile.gif

I went for an econo-box but came up short. A nice Subaru Impreza WRX (2.0L Turbo boxer-4). I can get up to 26mpg on the highway, but I routinely stay in the 14mpg or less club in the city thanks to the mods I've done. Funny I had no intention of modding my car when I got it... two weeks later I started modding... I so envy Onyx though, they have the new-new body style and the STi model in AU
smile.gif
So its not just SUV's that can be gas hogs..

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
In all actuallity jackansi my truck pretty much as it is does everything I need it to do except look very good. I tow about 3500 pounds once in a while and it does just fine.

I had a long talk with a man whose judgement I think a lot of. He says if I go Cummins I should be prepared to do lots of maintnance including valve adjustments. He says he would do bearings in the bottom end every 100,000 miles.

Now I know that there are any number of 500,000 mile Cummins that I am quite sure got not much more than religious oil and fluid changes.

Somewhere in between there is truth.

He says my 7.3 non turbo is about as bullet proof as you can get. He thinks the turbo is a terrible thing to have happened to the diesel. The strain on the rods and bearings is terrible he says.

Lastly, I can't really afford turbo or super or much of any power adder. And can't really afford to even dream about a 1998 Dodge D-250 SLT Quad Cab with a 12v Cummins Turbo Diesel and a 5 speed manual transmission in White. 1998 because that's first year with rear doors and last year with 12v Cummins.

Probably I will just fix what I must to keep "The Beast" running and maybe get it painted in several months.

It's fun to think of lotsa Torque though!

Latest posts