Dereelight DBS-T XR-E R2 EZ900 Aspheric First Impressions

fnsooner

Enlightened
I purchased the light mentioned in this thread at flashlight connection as a complete unit. It appears to be out of stock.

Yes, the Dereelight website is a mess to sort out. In fact I messed up an order by ordering one of the components incorrectly. If someone hasn't helped you sort it out by this evening, I'll try. But I got to head out for work ATM.

Edit- It looks like LEDnija has it covered.

TEEJ

Flashaholic
Is there a break down of what the options DO for you?

Maybe, why you'd pick one set over another?

Right now, its just all a jumble of letters and numbers.

:D

IE: If there's a combo that works better in one way than another (brightness, size of hot spot, range, run time, whatever..), it would be nice to know what did what.

Last edited:

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have updated my last post with the aspheric options. Here are an overview of the Dereelight line up.

Dereelight builds what is known as Surefire P60 clones. Most of their parts are interchangeable with the P60 and other clones.
List of flashlight bodies:
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?186661-*-P60-Flashlight-List-host
List of flashlight modules:
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?217252-P60-sized-led-drop-ins-(part-3)
You can put together Krillions of combinations.

Most people stick with one manufacturer to try keep things simpler.
So back to Dereelight.

Body types:
CL1H V4 - The original clone of the P60 with the body bored out to take 18650 and a LED module. (The original P60 can only take 2*CR123A and is incandescent.)
CL1H V4-NOHS - NOHS = no hotspot, a floody version.
DBS V3 - A big head version with a bigger reflector for more throw.
C2H - small CR123A version.
Javelin - 2AA version.
DA3 - AAA version. This is a keychain light and does not lego with the others.
CL1H-T/DBS-T - Dual mode tactical version. Head tight soft press gives you momentary. Head loose soft press changes brightness levels.

Optics:
Aspheric - The aspheric lens does not have spill so all the light goes down range. This provides the longest throw but you can not see a gopher hole or pothole in front of you and you twist your ankle if you are not careful.
NOHS - This is an optic that projects a very even circle of light. Useful for close in work.
Smooth reflector - This provides spot and spill. A spot for distance and spill for close in.
OP reflector - Smooth reflector tends to have artifacts or ringy beams. An OP reflector smoothes them out.

Modules and Pills:
A module consists of a reflector/optic/lens and a pill.
A pill consists of the electronics, heatsink, and LED.
Pills:
Dereelight identify the electronics as follows:
1/3 - S/M - (nothing)/M/T.
1 or 3 is the number of brightness levels.
-
S - single mode.
M - multiple modes depending on head tight/head loose position. See CL1H-T/DBS-T.
-
(nothing) - 1*18650 battery.
M - 2*CR123A/2*RCR123A/2*18650 (with battery tube extender). This is a pure buck circuit and needs 4+V to operate. A 18650 will work when freshly charged 4.2V to 4V but dims significantly between 3.9V to 3.6V. Dereelight does not recommend 1*18650 with these pills.
T - Tactical. See CL1H-T/DBS-T.

LEDs:
XP-E - Has the smallest die size, provides the tightest beam. OTOH it is the dimmest of the LEDs Dereelight uses. 0.9 mm * 0.9 mm.
XP-G - Can be driven harder than the XP-E to provide more light but is more floody. 1.4 mm * 1.4 mm. Dereelight is driving the XP-E and XP-G with the same drivers so your choose between them for beam types. ~300 lumens.
XM-L - The latest but the big die makes for a floody beam. Especially with other P60 types limited by the 26 mm reflector. Dereelight DBS with the bigger reflector compensates for this. 2 mm * 2 mm. ~700 lumens.

Tints:
Dereelight offers many LEDs with different tints. Cool white, neutral white, warm white. A thread showing the difference between the tints:
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...arm-Neutral-Cool-White-BEAMSHOTS-amp-RUNTIMES!

Last edited:

TEEJ

Flashaholic
I interpret the above to mean that as the voltage of the battery drops, the light will get dimmer....with it not working below 2.8v?

36\01RSAW

Newly Enlightened
TEEJ
Re: Dereelight DBS-T XR-E R2 EZ900 Aspheric First Impressions
I just looked at the Dereelight homepage, and its like trying to read a Chinese menu, in Chinese for me (I don't speak Chinese...) :shrug:

Its in plain English, the problem is that the options are overwhelming...I don't know what any of it means. If I knew what any of it meant, it has an enormous wealth of customization options I could choose....but I have zero BASIS for making any of the choices.

:duh2:

Pills and drivers and emitters, Oh My!

I know what they ARE, but I DON'T know the differences...so CHOOSING one over another is where I have nowhere to go.
I purchased my light from Jay at the Flashlight Connection a few weeks ago (i must have got the last one:).) My light came complete with the aspheric head ( I dont have a standard head),and there were no additional pill options, just the three mode multi brightness XR-E. I'd ask Jay when they are getting more lights in as he is a pleasure to deal with. He'd also be able to help you build a light if you dont want to wait for the complete one, since they have bodies, pills, and aspherical heads available. You could by the CL1H host, Aspheric head, and the EZ900 pill and get essentially the same light+ a CL1H head.

Tatjanamagic

Enlightened
Well, among the reflectored lights, it is very good and comes very close to the lux of the Olight SR90 at 100 000 lux. I have seen Deerelights measured between the range of 60 000-90 000 lux so yes, it does throw to about 300m if you take 1 lux as the endpoint. However, among the aspherics, its performance is quite average, about the same lux as a normal Mag aspheric, which have being around for 5 years. The top LED throwers tend to be mods, i have seen de-domed overdriven XM-Ls do 250 000+ lux, which is about 3 times as bright as the Deerelight at any point in the beam. In terms of production thrower, the DEFT series does between 150-200k lux, which would be about twice as bright as the Deerelight. Those are pretty hard to find and much more expensive when you do find them, which is why i say this is a good value light.
And once you get into the HID world, it's performance becomes poor in comparision. Yes, HIDs may be impractical as a EDC light as i haven't seen a 6P sized HID yet but as a spotlight they are absolutely amazing. Just to put things into perspective, a "little" 35W HID sitting behind a 4 inch reflector does around 250 000 lux at 1m and that's just a long arc. Short-arcs like the Maxabeam/Supernova does around 4 000 000 lux at 1m while cpf short arc mods do quite a bit more, Ra's maxablaster does around 52 000 000 lux measured by himself, which is about 500 times as bright as the Deerelight. Helicopters normally use a Nightsun, which is a 1600W short-arc and that does around 160 000 000 lux, giving a 12 km throw.

Yifu buy yourself DBS aspherical and then judge... U can not compare HID to LED in any way...

Among COMMERCIAL AVAILABLE LED flashlight category it is one of top led thrower in a world(I would say that it is currently number one)... So it is not just "average" as you told it is above every possible "average comment"... If U think 90 klux/m is average than suggest people which LED light in this category they can buy in shops for less than 100$ ?

I had compared Olight SR90 and DBS with EZ900 die, and for me DBS is throw winner... Although SR90 has higher lux readings this does not mean that it can visually outthrow aspheric...

The most important thing is what U can see in a dark and not lux numbers. With aspheric that does not spoil your night vision U see further in a dark while with reflector spill and flood U see less because it drastically spoils night vision...

It does not throw only 300 meters it throws more than 600 meters... I can identify objects on 1000 meters with my rifle scope, and I can make clean shoot on target up to 450 meters.

Regards

Last edited:

TEEJ

Flashaholic
Yifu buy yourself DBS aspherical and then judge... U can not compare HID to LED in any way...

Among COMMERCIAL AVAILABLE LED flashlight category it is one of top led thrower in a world(I would say that it is currently number one)... So it is not just "average" as you told it is above every possible "average comment"... If U think 90 klux/m is average than suggest people which LED light in this category they can buy in shops for less than 100$ ?

I had compared Olight SR90 and DBS with EZ900 die, and for me DBS is throw winner... Although SR90 has higher lux readings this does not mean that it can visually outthrow aspheric...

The most important thing is what U can see in a dark and not lux numbers. With aspheric that does not spoil your night vision U see further in a dark while with reflector spill and flood U see less because it drastically spoils night vision...

It does not throw only 300 meters it throws more than 600 meters... I can identify objects on 1000 meters with my rifle scope, and I can make clean shoot on target up to 450 meters.

Regards

Tat - Are you using the DBS as a weapon mounted light, or as a spotting light that you use to acquire your aim point?

:huh:

varmint

Enlightened
I have used mine the same way also, mounted and handheld. One thing I sure learned from them is when you get the beam adjusted correctly you can really tell it. I am constantly experminting with battery combos, 2x18650's are too long for me.

Tatjanamagic

Enlightened
Get us your impressions on battery configuration without extension tube...

I don't have to worry about runtime using 2×18650... With cheapest ones it goes well over 1,30 hours

With good batteries it would go well over 2 hours...

TEEJ

Flashaholic
Good to know the lights can stand up to recoil, etc.

:thumbsup:

jasonvk77

Newly Enlightened
Well, This is my first post in a few years :drool:

I bought the EZ900 with aspheric last week. Can't wait to test it out.

rdrfronty

Enlightened
I don't think you will regret it. I have a SR90 and my brother has the EZ900 Deerelight. We always have fun going out trying to compare the two lights. While the SR90 puts out a huge amount of light, his Deerelight is usually an even match for me in throw. They are usually too close to call a victor. Just last night we tried a target at a distance of 2075ft. The target was a nice treeline. I was standing maybe 100ft from the trees to verify how they would do and my brother was 2075ft away shooting both lights, one after the other. This was shooting mostly across grassy fields with a little pavement in the middle. Conditions were pretty dark with only minor light polution, and I'd say average bug and moisture conditions for southeast Texas.
Anyway, both lights managed to light the trees up pretty decent. By decent, I mean that with the limbs, trunks, etc being very easily seen by me 100ft away, I'm sure they both put at least a hand full of lumens on them. The Deerelight I would estimate had a spot of maybe 25ft or so, and the SR90 had a much bigger spot with maybe 50-75ft of trees easily seen. Again the spots from both lights had about the same intensity at that distance. My brother and I were both impressed that both lights had basically hit 700yrd targets when you add in the trees elevation.
Even though Deerelight puts out under 300 lumens, it puts ALL of them to good use. Both the SR90 and Deerelight are awesome lights.

Last edited:

Tatjanamagic

Enlightened
Yes I have tested this lights also...

Really depends for what U will use it...

SR90 is huge reflector thrower and it has massive throw with all beam characteristic(hotspot,flood spill)

EZ900 Deerelight is practical, gun mountable flashlight, and in my case it throws further than SR90 because it has only hotspot so it does not spoils your night vision like SR90...

But yet I mentioned before that you can get really bright deerelight aspheric with 100kcd and lets say less bright with 90 or slightly less kcd it all depends on aspherical lens U will get because they are not all the same... Some are blurrier while some are clearer... But either way they can throw...

So when U comparing only throw characteristic of 2200 lumens SR90 vs 200(or even less) lumens DBS aspherical for me there are no doubts who is the winner(aspheric of course) and you all must conclude that by buying and spending $ for this 2 great flashlight...

Decide what U need flashlight for because aspheric is not for everyone especially for one that needs to lid large amount of area on short distances...

But yet you can buy whole set with deerelight. Reflector(I suggest XML) + aspheric(EZ900 1 SM driver of course) + extension 18650 tube, and U will surely have unbeatable and best buy configuration in a world...

If someone thinks that there is better all in one flashlight I would like to know what make and where I can buy it...

Regards

davyro

Enlightened
I ordered a CL1H with a neutral white XML i also ordered the full head of a DBS T with a XR E R2 plus an extension for more battery configurations.Its great that you can Lego all of the Dereelight & they're upgradeable so all in all they're well
worth the money,i basically have 2 different types of thrower with multiple battery configurations & with fast shipping the whole lot cost me $160 i did order direct from Dereelight it's easy to get around what is what if you know what your looking
for if not it can be a bit daunting.I will be buying an aspheric head in a couple of weeks,just so I've got the full range.I can't wait to get them & try them out.I just wish I'd got them a bit earlier they're so versatile & from what I've read on here
they seem to be well built.

BullsEyeLantern

Newly Enlightened
Gosh, I wish I could figure out their website properly. I would love to have the exact same light as the OP. Do you think if I emailed Dereelite and told them what I wanted they could quote me on price and send one to me? I have a feeling if I tried the pull down menu thing on their site, I would get something I didn't want. Not exactly user friendly.
I would like the same as the OP ( multiple modes, battery types, aspherical lens, etc ) all throw and very little spill.

Draven451

Enlightened
Gosh, I wish I could figure out their website properly. I would love to have the exact same light as the OP. Do you think if I emailed Dereelite and told them what I wanted they could quote me on price and send one to me? I have a feeling if I tried the pull down menu thing on their site, I would get something I didn't want. Not exactly user friendly.
I would like the same as the OP ( multiple modes, battery types, aspherical lens, etc ) all throw and very little spill.

Flashlight connection has the model I believe the OP discusses. The model is listed on their site as the Dereelight DBS-T aspherical light EZ900 LED.

Sent from my iPhone 4s using Tapatalk

BullsEyeLantern

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the link!! I hope it is the multi mode version with battery options. It doesn't really discuss the pill. Looks promising!