Dereelight DBS-T XR-E R2 EZ900 Aspheric First Impressions

ILIKEFLASHLIGHTS

Enlightened
You know I have this light and as much as I love it for its throw capabilities, it is about useless for anything else. I took mine down to the lake a few weeks ago to look for frogs or whatever and the beam is so tight and blinding up close that it really isn't a very useful flashlight in my opinion. If you want a laser thrower, it's a great light. But other than that I would rather have a Olight M3X, Sunwayman T40CS, or Fenix TK41.

BullsEyeLantern

Newly Enlightened
I hear you. I have a 7G5, Tk 41, Sr51, and TK70, but I have a soft spot for this one as it is quite unique.

Somnophore

Newly Enlightened
Aspheric coming out for the 7G5 soon though I hear, be interesting to see how it performs.

TEEJ

Flashaholic
If someone thinks that there is better all in one flashlight I would like to know what make and where I can buy it...

Regards

Aspheric coming out for the 7G5 soon though I hear, be interesting to see how it performs.

Yeah, the Crelant 7G5 V2 is pumping out ~ 850 lumens instead of the Deerelight's ~ 300 L...and with an aspheric lens, its destined to be a freakin throw MONSTER. I got the Crelant from MD-Lightsource, so I automatically get the aspheric for the combo price even though I've had the light for a while now...so, I am PSYCHED!

:devil:

As mentioned by ILIKEFLASHLIGHTS above, the Deerelight is pretty useless to look for frogs or anything up close...its real role of choice is long range spotting/targeting, etc. The Crelant's strength is that with the combo, you get two heads, and you can use the reflector lens for the frogs or walking the dog, or even spotting things out to 400+ meters as is, or, slap on the aspheric, and hit targets 1000 meters off, etc.

:D

As I already have the DEFT edc LR+, the Deerelight Aspheric and the Crelant 7G5 V2 (reflector lens)...with the aspheric head for it due any day now...I am really itching to do some comparison shots....and SEE what the differences really are.

:devil:

Last edited:

LGT

Enlightened
You know I have this light and as much as I love it for its throw capabilities, it is about useless for anything else. I took mine down to the lake a few weeks ago to look for frogs or whatever and the beam is so tight and blinding up close that it really isn't a very useful flashlight in my opinion. If you want a laser thrower, it's a great light. But other than that I would rather have a Olight M3X, Sunwayman T40CS, or Fenix TK41.
I agree with you that it isn't useful for close up viewing, but that's not what it's built for. As TEEJ stated, it's built for long range spotting or targeting. It does have it's limitations for what it can be used for, but when pinpoint accuracy is needed to identify a location of a specific object at 100 meters, it's a nice light to have.

Last edited:

SCEMan

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree with you that it isn't useful for close up viewing, but that's not what it's built for. As TEEJ stated, it's built for long range spotting or targeting. It does have it's limitations for what it can be used for, but when pinpoint accuracy is needed to identify a location of a specific object at 100 meters, it's a nice light to have.

Agreed, particularly in a suburban environment the DBS ASP allows one to illuminate distant objects w/o attracting attention or illuminating your neighbors houses.

TEEJ

Flashaholic

100 meters?

LOL

That's NOTHING for these lights...the Crelant mentioned is good for over 400 meters, the Deerelight looks like 800 meters may be in range.

I've tested it to ~ 600 meters or so, and it had enough juice left.

7005255040_5eda71b3c1_c.jpg

This is a round tree about 400 meters away...hit with the beam from the aspheric Deerelight.

Its pretty obvious that this is significantly lit up...its bright at that range.

If you had to shoot someone out of that tree/get a coyote at that range in a pitch black night...your sighting elements would be contrasted with the target very clearly hundreds of meters away, no problem.

7151341661_10ed733ff9_c.jpg

For comparison, this is the same shot with a dedeomed Olight SR90 - also an easy shot.

7151360413_f2124def66_c.jpg

Further comparison - Same shot with Nitecore Tiny Monster TM11 - and, um, what tree? :sssh:

So, that tree is way out there, and the SR90 and the Deerelight can reach out that far...obviously, the much larger SR90 reaches out a lot harder...and lights up a larger area...but the pretty powerful Nitecore TM11 can't get halfway out there, its just out of its league for throw.

Last edited:

LGT

Enlightened
While i realize it goes well beyond 100 meters. I guess I should have defined some objects I'm trying to define. Those utility poles in your excellent pictures are really what I'm trying to inspect when looking for trouble spots that may have, or will cause a power outage. My mistake. I should have mentioned its far reach. But was only thinking of it's reach to the extent of what I can see and identify in the confines of my work.

TEEJ

Flashaholic
While i realize it goes well beyond 100 meters. I guess I should have defined some objects I'm trying to define. Those utility poles in your excellent pictures are really what I'm trying to inspect when looking for trouble spots that may have, or will cause a power outage. My mistake. I should have mentioned its far reach. But was only thinking of it's reach to the extent of what I can see and identify in the confines of my work.

Gotcha. You need to be close enough with your eyes to visually resolve details that might be too far away to see more than 100 meters away....so 100 M is fine for you.

Frankly, the Deerelight is sort of overkill in that light...I get a bad glare if the range is that short. Something with a larger hot spot might be easier on the eyes at that range.

For me, I'd gravitate more to the Crelant 7G5 V2 with the regular reflector lens arrangement, and get the aspheric head for it to open up long range options when needed.

7151360413_f2124def66_c.jpg

Nitecore Tiny Monster TM11 Shot at the same tree

7005273080_d95950cac8_c.jpg

Crelant 7G5 V2 (Reflector Head) - Shot at the same tree as the above examples

7005273442_41147b219b_c.jpg

Crelant shot at top of transmission tower

7151378443_8c4c531559_c.jpg

Deerelight shot at top of transmission tower

These shots are at closer to 200 meters, but as you can see, the deerelight's spot is very small even that far out...while the Crelant's light allows more context to search for details/defects/damage, etc.

At ~ 100 M, the deerelight is going to put a hot spot on the middle of say a transformer, and you would then pan around to see the wires and connectors, etc...whereas the Crelant would show you the entire installation at a glance, so you could have context for what you were looking at.

Food for thought.

Last edited:

LGT

Enlightened
I enjoyed your update and additional photos. If I didn't already have a thrunite catapult, that Crelant with an additional aspherical head would be on it's way, or already posessed. I really appreciate you going above and beyond with trying to help others purchase a light that will fit their needs. Just noticed, also nice to see that you know the difference between transmission and distribution.

Last edited:
Compared with UB3T?

How would the SureFire UB3T compare with this Dereelight? Throw? Spill?

I enjoyed your update and additional photos. If I didn't already have a thrunite catapult, that Crelant with an additional aspherical head would be on it's way, or already posessed. I really appreciate you going above and beyond with trying to help others purchase a light that will fit their needs.

SCEMan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Compared with UB3T?

How would the SureFire UB3T compare with this Dereelight? Throw? Spill?

A few weeks ago on a fishing trip I had the opportunity to compare my DBS ASP with a SureFire UB3T from our balcony at objects around the lake from 500-700 yards. There was no comparison - the DBS ASP illuminated trees, rocks, etc far beyond the UB3T's reach. However I have a 2.1A EZ900 pill so I can't speak for the 1.5A version, but I'm sure it would also out-distance the UB3T by a lesser degree.

BLUE LED

Flashlight Enthusiast

2.1A EZ900 R2 that is impressive, are you experiencing any problems with excess heat or are you using your DBS aspheric in short bursts.

SCEMan

Flashlight Enthusiast

2.1A EZ900 R2 that is impressive, are you experiencing any problems with excess heat or are you using your DBS aspheric in short bursts.

Typically short durations, not the type of light I'd use for long periods. The ASP head does have substantial heatsinking and I applied arctic silver to all threads so I doubt overheating will be an issue.

TEEJ

Flashaholic
I enjoyed your update and additional photos. If I didn't already have a thrunite catapult, that Crelant with an additional aspherical head would be on it's way, or already posessed. I really appreciate you going above and beyond with trying to help others purchase a light that will fit their needs. Just noticed, also nice to see that you know the difference between transmission and distribution.

In past lives, I spent a lot of time shooting these with FLIR, and measuring EMF, etc. So, I tend to distinguish between types of lines. It also depends who I'm talking to, as calling something a large metal Eiffel Tower looking thing or a telephone pole looking thing sometimes rings more bells than saying transmission or distribution, etc. You sounded like I could use the real terms. :D

I do enjoy helping people get into lights...and the differences, advantages/disadvantages of them. It helps to explain why having one light is like having one wrench...a concept that is also fairly obscure for the average person.

Most people think of a $2 plastic incan light that you periodically bang to get it on again, as a "Flashlight", and an "LED Light" is one of those dim shower head looking things in the check-out aisle.

That's typically the starting point.

After that, if they do continue to get into it...and realize an LED light can be BRIGHTER than that $2 incan....

They THEN they discover "Lumens"...and just want as many lumens as possible for $ X....

And then they discover that the beams can have different shapes...and that some shapes are better or worse for different tasks....

..and that the POWER and FORM FACTORS used to GET the beam shapes, and ranges of throw or flood, can be factors...

...and that maybe the light's dependability and/or durability can be a factor...

...and, sometimes, they even become aware that the color or CRI of the beam can ALSO be a factor in its usefulness.

...and so forth.

:party:

At the above points in THIS thread...luckily, I had some pics that could SHOW the difference between an aspheric's beam and a reflector light's beam, and why a light with incredible range but a small beam area can be inferior to a light with less total range, but a large enough beam area to SEE what you are looking for.

That way, one guy can look at the pics, and decide that for HIM, the super long range but small spot of light is better, and another can look at the same pictures, and decide the opposite, and they are both correct...for them.

To me, beam shots are the best way to share what I see, and what I mean by a light's characteristics...and let people make their own decisions based upon the parts of what they see that are important to THEM.

Last edited:

Tatjanamagic

Enlightened
TEEJ very nice pictures :wave:

Hunting would be main purpose of Nightmaster flashlight, and the fact you can make your shot at 400+ meter distances is awesome.

Guys if you like colored throw try to put green, red and yellow emitters inside... It throws extremely far even with them;)

SUNDAYBAIN

Newly Enlightened
I ordered a CL1H with a neutral white XML i also ordered the full head of a DBS T with a XR E R2 plus an extension for more battery configurations.Its great that you can Lego all of the Dereelight & they're upgradeable so all in all they're well
worth the money,i basically have 2 different types of thrower with multiple battery configurations & with fast shipping the whole lot cost me $160 i did order direct from Dereelight it's easy to get around what is what if you know what your looking
for if not it can be a bit daunting.I will be buying an aspheric head in a couple of weeks,just so I've got the full range.I can't wait to get them & try them out.I just wish I'd got them a bit earlier they're so versatile & from what I've read on here
they seem to be well built.
According to there website they dont ship to the UK