Driver board list / regulator board list.

1 what

Enlightened
Hi TorchBoy,
Found this thread tonight.
May all your photons be supercharged! Fantastic thread.
Thank you (and all other contributors) for all this data in the 1 place.:twothumbs:twothumbs:twothumbs

R290

Newly Enlightened
KENNAN IS IN STOCK! :faint: Edit: NOT in stock. They just say they are. :thumbsdow

:party::party::buddies::grouphug::takeit:

(Do I sound a little excited?)

There are new photos there too.

Edit, OK, so I spent a few minutes putting in an order. I would have posted first. Priorities, you understand. :laughing:

I just got my order in and connected it to 10vdc and the driver lasted about 10 seconds. Same power source as I used for my LED Supply Buck Puck. anybody have a data sheet for these?

Edit 10vdc transformer

1789d1213061256-led-tech-4x4s-scout-030.jpg

Last edited:

TorchBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
That doesn't sound good, R290. I've noticed that some 12V transformers can output 18V unloaded. Could you measure it and check that it wasn't giving too many volts?

If you got three of them how come there are four packages on the left? Two orders? How long from time of order until they were shipped?

Last edited:

R290

Newly Enlightened
I will measure it. I only had one led connected, I will add a second or third in series. I can also try a 12volt car jumper battery too.

Some how they got my order mixed up and sent double what I ordered. :oops: The other items are some red LEDs I ordered for the heck of it.

Order time one month. I ordered on May 5th and got them June 6th

TorchBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've added a couple of mains powered buck regulators to the list. This should keep the moaners happy who kept complaining that DX's drivers could only power one LED at a time. Both work off universal AC (85-265 V AC in) and regulate at a constant 320 mA. The PA30 at $5.99 drives five to seven 1 W LEDs at 16-26 V out, while the PA38 at $8.28 drives nine to twelve 1 W LEDs at 27-42 V out. (No, I don't know why those LED counts don't meet when the voltages come so close to overlapping.)

TorchBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Added a couple of AA step-up boards from DX. ... And changed some KD links to similar boards at DX, since KD seems to have lost some products. It's times like this when a site upgrade became more of an upgrate.

Last edited:

Black Rose

Flashlight Enthusiast
DX also carries various combinations of the AMC7135 boards.

Might consider adding those for the folks that don't want to deal with KD, but they are easy to find on DX.

TorchBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've taken out all the non-working links to KD AMC7135 boards and put in DX equivalents for most of them.

Also added a new link to a KD P7 buck driver.

StefanFS

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got some of these from KD yesterday: P7 "3 amp" 3-mode driver. $12.01. Buck regulator, 5.5-15.5 V in.

I put one in a 2D Mag and used 6AA eneloop in a mdocod battery holder. Output is almost identical with the simple 8xAMC7135 that KD sell. Output is a bit lower than my Mags driven at 3A when tested in lightbox and throw. So it's a bit lower than 3A on 6 eneloop. I didn't feel any insatiable need to measure mA to led because of the observations in this post.

It has pwm flicker on low so it's about 100 Hz. I notice the pwm on medium but I'm sensitive. No flicker on high.

There's no memory function. It comes on in the next mode next time you turn it on. It also gets warm on 6 AA, on 8AA it gets scorching hot.

It doesn't function with one D LiION, it needs more voltage to work. I don't know how much but with 4.2 Volt=no light.

A one level mod might exist but as the driver relies on switching to a lower output mode for thermal protection (and it gets hot) that might complicate things.

rayman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got some of these from KD yesterday: P7 "3 amp" 3-mode driver. $12.01. Buck regulator, 5.5-15.5 V in.

I put one in a 2D Mag and used 6AA eneloop in a mdocod battery holder. Output is almost identical with the simple 8xAMC7135 that KD sell. Output is a bit lower than my Mags driven at 3A when tested in lightbox and throw. So it's a bit lower than 3A on 6 eneloop. I didn't feel any insatiable need to measure mA to led because of the observations in this post.

It has pwm flicker on low so it's about 100 Hz. I notice the pwm on medium but I'm sensitive. No flicker on high.

There's no memory function. It comes on in the next mode next time you turn it on. It also gets warm on 6 AA, on 8AA it gets scorching hot.

It doesn't function with one D LiION, it needs more voltage to work. I don't know how much but with 4.2 Volt=no light.

A one level mod might exist but as the driver relies on switching to a lower output mode for thermal protection (and it gets hot) that might complicate things.

That doesn't sound like the perfect driver board. But I will try it on my own anyways. If I don't like I will try the double 1400mA driver boards from DX.

rayman

TorchBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've just done a bit of cleaning up, including promoting several drivers from the to-do list. I also realised I had mixed up DX's AA drivers 7880 and 7882 :eek: so the latter is now listed separately, while 7880 and 7881 are the AA/AAA pair of drivers.

Edit: More cleaning up - I managed to mix up the MR-16 drivers and their mains driven counterparts. I'm getting worried now. :sweat:

Last edited:

TorchBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks VegasF6, somehow I had missed the 1 amp Badboy. Now added.

FWIW I buy lower priced drivers! To make the list as useful as possible I've included as wide a price range as I thought seemed practical. I know I've left out several $50+ drivers, so to rectify that (no pun intended) I've added a $55 version of the Shark. :faint: I think the Xitanium drivers also fall into that price range.

PS. What's the difference between a Shark and a BLUE Shark?

Last edited:

J.D.

Newly Enlightened
hm, don't konw if they are more efficient ...

"The next batch of boards will have improved thermal performance and also be blue. The blue Sharks will raise the output voltage to 32V or so. Also, the input current can be up to 3A with proper heatsinking. The max usable on the existing Shark is around 2A on the input.

Wayne"

but if there is less heat generation logically it should be more efficient...