Dumb Question about CD Ripping

deadlylover

Newly Enlightened
I don't know if I should :laughing: or :shakehead when I hear people say things like that. No good? Come on. Consider how and where you actually listen to the stuff.

I think it's some kind of bad habit that all audio enthusiasts have when comparing sound, the wording we always use makes everything look like 'night and day' differences, they aren't! :)

I always like to think that the drawbacks of 128kbps are kind of like the Cree rings (anyone still remember those?)
Sure, you can spot it out easily if you wanted to, but in actual use, it won't bother you one bit.

EAC is Exact Audio Copy, pretty much a fancy CD ripper program. It can read sections of the CD multiple times to make sure it didn't read incorrectly and it lets you encode in whatever codec you like.

StarHalo

Flashaholic
It would be difficult to spot the differences using an iPod and/or the stock iPod earbuds, as neither come close to full frequency reproduction. If you seriously enjoy your music, do yourself the favor of at least a serious set of headphones, you'd be amazed how much you're missing..

I think it's some kind of bad habit that all audio enthusiasts have when comparing sound

What about this topic made you roughly double your post count after four years of membership? That's some hardcore lurking..

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I see. Thanks for the clarification.

Are you using MP3, MP4, Ogg Vorbis, or some other type of encoding?
I am using Lame MP3 encoding since I have a car stereo that has an MP3 CD player, a sony boombox that plays MP3 CDs and an ipod video too. I can always rerip my CDs if a better format takes over the market but I very seriously doubt anything that is royalty free is going to do so. My advice is to rip wave files of about a dozen songs from all sorts of different music types and experiment with various formats including VBR 192K lame MP3 and listen to them all and decide what works for you. With hard drives getting huge if you had a small collection you could just rip everything to wav files and forget about encoding till later. The advantage of MP3 files is almost everything plays them including dvd players while the other formats are hit and miss for support.

vali

Enlightened
I am using Lame MP3 encoding since I have a car stereo that has an MP3 CD player, a sony boombox that plays MP3 CDs and an ipod video too. I can always rerip my CDs if a better format takes over the market but I very seriously doubt anything that is royalty free is going to do so. My advice is to rip wave files of about a dozen songs from all sorts of different music types and experiment with various formats including VBR 192K lame MP3 and listen to them all and decide what works for you. With hard drives getting huge if you had a small collection you could just rip everything to wav files and forget about encoding till later. The advantage of MP3 files is almost everything plays them including dvd players while the other formats are hit and miss for support.

I would change WAV for FLAC. 30% less space, plus you can use tags.

JCD

Enlightened
I can always rerip my CDs if a better format takes over the market but I very seriously doubt anything that is royalty free is going to do so.

MP3 format isn't royalty free, either. You're right though, w/r/t ubiquitousness, MP3 is king. Fortunately, MP4 is catching up and is supported by most of the players out there.