Duracell Pre-Charged AA's

Burgess

Flashaholic
Are you saying these Duracell Pre-Charged AA's
cost MORE than Sanyo Eneloops ?

What was the price at the local CVS pharmacy ?

BTW, the photo (avatar) of that beautiful child certainly
looks outta' place, next to the moniker of "oldvultureface".

:wave:
_

oldvultureface

Newly Enlightened
Burgess:
BTW, the photo (avatar) of that beautiful child certainly
looks outta' place, next to the moniker of "oldvultureface".

Our one and only grandchild. Vultureface was a high school nickname. "Old" was added when I turned 55. Visit the home page URL in my profile for more info on Ellie. She loves flashlights. Will walk around the house for half an hour shining the light on everything.

Last edited:

Phaetos

Enlightened
A 15 minute charger which connects to your car cigarette lighter port works fine. That's how my 15 minute Eveready charger came, with a 'car plug' included. Works fine. In fact this is why I bought the 15 minute version, in an emergency, a quick charger is best to get back in action -- Can't weight all night for battereies to charge back up. Highly recommended.

Or have a power inverter handy. I bought one for a trip a few years ago so that I could have the laptop plugged in the whole trip with GPS attached to it. So if no power, I can still charge my batteries, I just don't like the 7 hour charger that came with the Eneloops. Got anything faster?

Burgess

Flashaholic
Well, the Maha C-9000 Battery Charger/Analyzer is quite nice . . . .

:)

_

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Local WalMart now has the Duracell Pre-Charged AAs - pack of 4 with Value Charger (6hours?), or a 6 pack - both were priced $16.9x.

Most of the time WalMart has the lowest (or near) price - so these seem expensive - considering one can get the Kodak Pre-Charged @ $7.88/4 at WalMart, and eneloops (shop) around $10/4 (or even better value in the CostCo pack)

Bones

Enlightened
They are made in Japan, 2000 mAh capacity, no cycle life written on package. It only says they will last for 100s of cycles.

To me, they look like rebadged Eneloop.

From the Duracell website pre-charged rechargeable FAQs:
These new batteries retain up to 75% of their power for 365 days while not in use - and they can be re-used hundreds of times.
Doesn't appear now that they're rebadged WildChild, this new information on the discharge rate places them at 10% below the Eneloop's.

WildChild

Flashlight Enthusiast
From the Duracell website pre-charged rechargeable FAQs:
Doesn't appear now that they're rebadged WildChild, this new information on the discharge rate places them at 10% below the Eneloop's.

Based on my experience with Eneloop, they react like them... They retain a higher voltage for much more longer than the Rayovac Hybrid! It's like the Duracell 2650 mAh that looks like the Sanyo 2700 mAh and have similar performance and similar problems.

By the way, Rayovac Hybrids are $8.97/4 from WalMart in Canada and Duracell Pre-Charged are now ~13$, also from WalMart in Canada! How are they priced in WalMart in USA?

Burgess

Flashaholic
Perhaps 75% is simply a more realistic number.

After all, Duracell takes Sanyo 2700's, and calls 'em 2650's.

:whistle:

(edited to add: Gee, WildChild, you beat me to it !)

_

Alan B

Flashlight Enthusiast
The self-discharge curve of the Low Self Discharge AA cells is apparently not linear. I have seen reports that they self-discharge to 75% at one rate, and below that they self discharge more slowly. Different manufacturers also make different claims, but it may be that they make their measurements in different parts of the discharge curve. Also, new cells are not sold fully charged, they start at only about 75%. From that point they are on the slow discharge part of the curve. So if the measurement was taken at 100% versus taken at 75% as a starting point, one would get considerably different discharge projections.

I have also seen reports of users that get more energy out of the Hybrids than from the High Capacity NiMH's if the use period is more than about 2 weeks. So if you charge daily or weekly the high capacity cells are probably a better deal, but if you charge every 2 weeks or longer the Hybrids are a better choice.

-- Alan B

Bones

Enlightened
Based on my experience with Eneloop, they react like them... They retain a higher voltage for much more longer than the Rayovac Hybrid! It's like the Duracell 2650 mAh that looks like the Sanyo 2700 mAh and have similar performance and similar problems.

By the way, Rayovac Hybrids are $8.97/4 from WalMart in Canada and Duracell Pre-Charged are now ~13$, also from WalMart in Canada! How are they priced in WalMart in USA?

I actually hope you're correct and these are rebadged Eneloops WildChild, or at least of equivalent quality.

Duracell's sheer market penetration essentially guarantees these are going to be a very popular choice.

Following the dismal performance of the Energizers, I would hope these will provide a much more positive introduction to the rechargeable world.

Sorry, but I can't tell you what they're selling for at WalMart, there isn't one close to me so I don't tend to shop there.

johnny13oi

Enlightened
I am definitely interested in trying out a few of these, but their high price keeps me away. Will Energizer bring out LSD batteries to the public any time soon?

Marduke

Flashaholic
I am definitely interested in trying out a few of these, but their high price keeps me away. Will Energizer bring out LSD batteries to the public any time soon?

There are only 2 or 3 companies that make LSD NiMH, so if they did they would almost surely be rebranded something else's.

IcantC

Enlightened
Hmmm so about to buy some new batteries for a 2D ROP. I need 6AA's, should I stick with Eneloops or the Duracell? Or whichever is cheaper?

I have 4 Eneloops which I have been using with great success so far and liked them.

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmmm so about to buy some new batteries for a 2D ROP. I need 6AA's, should I stick with Eneloops or the Duracell? Or whichever is cheaper?
I have 4 Eneloops which I have been using with great success so far and liked them.

I've read quite a lot on LSDs - my overall impression is that they are all good - so far - the differences seem to be slight ......

Personally I bought the cheapest first -
which were the Kodak Precharged @$7.88 4pk from WalMart

But from all I've read (so far) it appears that eneloops are the most popular, and seem to be most highly regarded.

I've since got a friend to get me the CostCo eneloop package at $25.99 -

however literally today -
Costco Eneloop coupon special for Black Friday-$6 off

IcantC

Enlightened
I've read quite a lot on LSDs - my overall impression is that they are all good - so far - the differences seem to be slight ......

But from all I've read (so far) it appears that eneloops are the most popular, and seem to be most highly regarded.

Ooh thanks for the link! I almost purchased 8AA from circuitshitty online right now. Will see if I can go with my friend who is a Costco member. Too bad stuck at work today :/.

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast
FWIW - valid until Nov/24 - Duracell Pre-Charged mail-in rebate at WalGreens -
DuracellPC_Walgreens.jpg

ken2400

Enlightened
Just bought the Kodak Precharged. They are 1.29 V using a Harbor Fright CEN-TECH item 90899 meter (Red). I am now charging them up. Going green is not cheap up front BUT I hope I can at least break even in the end.

HWman

Newly Enlightened
Walmart (Huntington Beach, California) had six Duracell Re-Chargable AA batteries for $17 today (Saturday, November 24, 2007).

Circuit City didn't have any Thanksgiving Two-Day (Friday/Saturday) Special items left at 9:30 a.m. on Saturday (except for one Reba McEntire CD). I did however see a bunch of Rayovac Hybrid 4AAA packages on a shelf in the far corner. There was a huge "Red Dot" Clearance sticker on each. So, I figured that since Walmart and Target sell them for about $9 or so... I waited for a salesman's attention and got a price. The "Red Dot" discount price is $15! Needless to say, I left empty handed.

Off Topic Comment follows:

I once went to Circuit City in Bella Tera center (Huntington Beach, California) to buy a large capacity hard disk drive. Advertised price was something like $120 plus a mail in rebate of $30 (final price would be $90). I get to the store and don't see the advertised item, but there is the same make and model of that drive with a tag with a price of something like $100 that is good for another few days.

I talk to a salesman and department manager, who seeks final advice from the store manager who says that I get the lower price, but I don't get the rebate (or I get the ad price and the rebate). Then, right in front of my face, they remove the tag with the lower price, even though it is good for another half week.

Is this retail fraud? So, I ask for the telephone number of corporate headquarters and everyone goes into hiding. I am told only the store manager can give me the corporate telephone number! Of course, the manager goes into hiding, too. Hello? Doesn't anyone in the store realize that I can just look it up on the Internet and I am just trying to give them an opportunity to make me happy?

Reminds me that I never heard back from the California Attorney General about this matter...

Circuit City BAD! Circuit City BAD!