EagleTac Clicky Ti

EspionageStudio.Com

Newly Enlightened
Re: Eagtac Titanium Clicky

Very excited to see the pics! I'd like a side shot and a shot of the tail cap switch. Thanks!

EPVQ30

Newly Enlightened

compared to the jetbeam tcr1 at 180.00 is there a big difference in materials and machining?

Last edited:

EspionageStudio.Com

Newly Enlightened

EPVQ30, the JetBeam is a real jewel of a light. Good thick high quality Ti and the machining is perfect. The Eagletac is a somewhat el cheapo Ti light (as Ti lights go), I can attest to that having the twisty version. It is nice, just kinda thin walls... and it is a $60 light. The Jetbeam is no doubt a $180 light.

ClassicGOD

Newly Enlightened

EPVQ30, the JetBeam is a real jewel of a light. Good thick high quality Ti and the machining is perfect. The Eagletac is a somewhat el cheapo Ti light (as Ti lights go), I can attest to that having the twisty version. It is nice, just kinda thin walls... and it is a $60 light. The Jetbeam is no doubt a $180 light.
Yes, the Titanium Eagletacs have thin walls but it's by design - they are one of the smallest CR123 and 1AA lights out there, much smaller and lighter than TCR1. But when it comes to machining on my samples (I own 4 Ti twistis ) is just as good (no tool marks at all, high polish) as my TCR1 but seems to scratch a little bit easier (but that's due oxidation of the titanium - TCR1 is a new light, my Ti Eagletacs had much more time to build up natural TI oxidation layer). It's really surprising how good the machining is on $60 Ti Eagletacs.

Last edited:

ViciousV

Newly Enlightened

The D25A (aluminium) Clicky I got for my Dad came in and it's great! I love that moonlight mode. I wasnt sure if it would win me over like my Quark, but it's perfect. I cant wait for my D25C Ti Clicky to arrive! Errrr!! I hope IG sends a shipping notification.

mohanjude

Flashlight Enthusiast

as promised here are the pictures (espionagestduio.com

Mike (Gunga) I havent really had a chance to play with it. However initial impressions is that the quality is the same. switch is nice and firm - reverse clicky. torch is obviously longer due to the switch.

DSC01828.jpg

DSC01829.jpg

compared to twisty (anodised)

DSC01830.jpg

Specific Q (cyclesport):

The Button is not GITD ( I wish)
I dont have D25A with new driver to compare so really cant give a answer - sorry
no extra gooodies apart from firm holster

This torch does not compare or in the league of TCR1. There is nothing wrong with this torch. You are getting what you are paying for. This is nice torch but it feels light, the walls are thin and overal it's price point is actually reasonable for what you are getting (A Ti light). However the TCr1 in comparison feels beefier, looks expensive and looks to me like something that has had a lot more work put into the manufacture.

Last edited:

EspionageStudio.Com

Newly Enlightened

Thanks for the pics! I'm soooooo going to get one of those as soon as they show up here in the States. Very nice looking light, can't wait to get one now :)

Last edited:

ClassicGOD

Newly Enlightened

This torch does not compare or in the league of TCR1. There is nothing wrong with this torch. You are getting what you are paying for. This is nice torch but it feels light, the walls are thin and overal it's price point is actually reasonable for what you are getting (A Ti light). However the TCr1 in comparison feels beefier, looks expensive and looks to me like something that has had a lot more work put into the manufacture.
We are not talking about the esthetics of the lights but about a quality of machining alone. While TCR1 is designed as a pice of jewelry the design of D25 series is strictly functional (which I like). Yes, you get more Titanium in TCR1, yes, TCR1 is more sturdy because of thicker walls etc, yes, the TCR1 is technologically more advanced, yes, TCR1 is designed for looks and yes, all f this things make it a higher class light overall and worth more money but the quality of machining alone is similar.

I love my TCR1, but I also love my Eagletacs and prefer functional design of D25 but TCR1 has more things to it than looks ;)

BTW. Eagletac website states that button cap is GITD. (?)

Grade 2 or 6/4 for the Titanium?
Both TCR1 and D25 series are from Grade 5 Titanium alloy (so 6-4).

Last edited:

ClassicGOD

Newly Enlightened

Where does it say they are 6/4? That's surprising.
I remember reading somewhere that D25 Ti Twisties are Grade 5 so I assumed Clickies are the same. TCR1 is TC4 alloy so also Grade 5.

Draven451

Enlightened
Just received a shipping notification from light junction for my D25A titanium clicky :)

Sent from my iPhone 4s using Tapatalk

gunga

Flashaholic

I'm pretty stoked if both these lights are Grade 5 Ti. TC4 is similar to 6/4 eh? Neat. I am happy since I own a couple TCR1s. They seemed tougher than the typical (cheap) ti, but I haven't done a ton of testing...

ClassicGOD

Newly Enlightened

I'm pretty stoked if both these lights are Grade 5 Ti. TC4 is similar to 6/4 eh? Neat. I am happy since I own a couple TCR1s. They seemed tougher than the typical (cheap) ti, but I haven't done a ton of testing...
TC4 is just a marking of a manufacturer for their 6-4 alloy. Right now Grade 5 aka Ti6Al4V or 6-4 it the most popular alloy in use and one of the more affordable ones (simply because of its popularity) and for flashlights there really is no point in using other alloys. Most of the difference in quality of Ti lights is from the machining.

Either way you have to remember that grade of Titanium alloy does not mean quality or strength. For example Grade 5 is not necessary better quality than Grade 23 (medical, jewelry use) or Grade 1 (pure titanium) it just has different chemical composition, just like there are different steels ;) Also Titanium can be heat treated which also will influence it's hardness.

gunga

Flashaholic

Ah, I thought that 6/4 was a tougher material, than say CP (commercially pure) which I believe was used in cheaper ti lights in the past...

I guess I just don't understand all the nuances!

shelm

Flashlight Enthusiast

Just received a shipping notification from light junction for my D25A titanium clicky :)

Sent from my iPhone 4s using Tapatalk
Let's see who is first to receive a shipping notification from illuminationgear!!