EDC - What's in Your Pocket(s)?? Third Edition

aznsx

Flashlight Enthusiast
"Read instruction manual"

Why would they engrave that on a revolver?! Im dying over here. Does it have a safety too?

Ruger is a U.S. arms manufacturer, so one of the reasons is the 'L-Word' (liability). I believe U.S.A. might stand for United States of Attorneys. I believe that's been a Ruger 'standard practice' since I was young. The only Ruger I have handy has exactly the same thing on it. The gun I just pulled out of my pocket has no such inscription, and is also from a U.S. manufacturer. Although others I have aren't handy to check, I don't recall any others featuring that from memory. Anyway, the bottom line is that no one can legally question Ruger's intent that all their customers read the user manual. You laugh, but lots of people aren't too bright. Here's perhaps a better reason: Start a thread which instead of asking 'the last light you bought and why', asks 'what is the last light you bought, and have you read the user manual?'. Let me know how that goes. Here, I'll get it started: The last new light I bought was a Streamlight Stinger 2020 - and yes, I've absolutely read the user manual [EDIT: ...before using it]. People like me who have been involved in writing manuals recognize the importance of reading them, while many others don't 'get it'. There can be important information that NO user will otherwise be aware of. While it's important with a flashlight, one could argue that it's even more important with a firearm. I'll speculate that Ruger is of that opinion.

This marking is obviously not a federal requirement here, but the way things are going, it could be by sundown tomorrow:) On the other side of the coin, there will be people reading this who would not even be allowed to own the gun in that photo, so there's that.....It could be a lot worse than an inscription:)

EDIT: Added 'before using it'.
EDIT2: OK, in the interest of absolute accuracy: The Ruger I referenced doesn't say "exactly the same thing" on it. It says: "Before using gun read warnings in instruction manual available free from", followed by their name and location. There's a bit more space on this gun than the one in that photo:)

Last edited:

Olumin

Flashlight Enthusiast
Printing it on a card in big red letters and visibly placing it in the box/case the firearm came in or putting it on a sticker instead of straight up engraving it onto the barrel would have done the trick. Great choice of knife tho. I will never understand why they had to discontinue the 21 however. Best knife they ever made. I just cant stand the look of the inlays on the 31. Had 2 of the 21s, Large micarta and Large Starbenza respectively. Sold the first, second one got stolen. Tried to replace it with a Umnumzaan, but it just cant fill the gap. I never actually carry it.

Last edited:

dmattaponi

Enlightened
Printing it on a card in big red letters and visibly placing it in the box/case the firearm came in or putting it on a sticker instead of straight up engraving it onto the barrel would have done the trick. Great choice of knife tho. I will never understand why they had to discontinue the 21 however. Best knife they ever made. I just cant stand the look of the inlays on the 31. Had 2 of the 21s, Large micarta and Large Starbenza respectively. Sold the first, second one got stolen. Tried to replace it with a Umnumzaan, but it just cant fill the gap. I never actually carry it.

A lot of the newer Ruger revolvers have removed the billboard and have a very small engraving on the bottom of the barrel that isn't very noticeable

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

aznsx

Flashlight Enthusiast
Printing it on a card in big red letters and visibly placing it in the box/case the firearm came in or putting it on a sticker instead of straight up engraving it onto the barrel would have done the trick.

I'm not advocating or speaking for Ruger, however I can explain the difference here. The info inscribed on the gun itself is there to ensure that it legally applies to the many users / purchasers who buy their guns on the used market without any box, tags, cards, stickers, or other information which might have been included in the original factory packaging; basically to apply to anyone who has the gun in their hands, regardless of how they might have purchased / obtained it. I'm not endorsing it, just explaining it.

nbp

Flashaholic
We're gettin a little sidetracked here with gun safety and litigation concerns. Thanks guys.

MaxAll8

Newly Enlightened
McGizmo 2x123 Haiku
Chris Reeve Umnumzaan
Victorinox Classic SD

Simple, rugged, and reliable

Olumin

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hopefully he didn't pay that much for it. I've seen them advertised online for under $100 on multiple sites.

Ha1bL.png

"I don't know Rick..."

Last edited:

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Not yet, but waiting on a front-pocket organizer sleeve from Etsy. Yeah, I know, the place can be a sewer with their zero vetting of sellers. But look through enough manure and sometimes you find a rose growing up from it. This one is a 3-slot sleeve. Should help organizing my Chapstick, garage door opener, and mini hand-sanitizer bottle. Will let you guys know how well it works, after it arrives.

mtasquared

Newly Enlightened
Good luck with the organizer, but agree Etsy is mostly a bad place. I bought an EDC keychain thing from Etsy, and my package was sent from Ankara to Istanbul. Meanwhile I'm waiting in New Jersey. Hope that doesn't happen to you.

Megalamuffin

Enlightened
I got a lumens factory two way clip for my surefire 6px, put an o-ring between the tailcap and clip as a spacer and it works perfectly in keeping the clip tight without impeding light function. I'm carrying that and my SF e1b mv with some surefire rechargeable 123's I just got as well.

Latest posts