Eneloop real or fake?

Marko

Newly Enlightened
The shape of cell is not so decent, look at the top end of cells. Genuine eneloop on the left.

eneloop9.jpg

Date code is much more unreadable, and its not always at the same place. Genuine eneloop on the left.

eneloop8.jpg

Remon

Newly Enlightened
Both genuine Eneloops.

Batterijenhuis = old batch
Conrad = new batch

13zpjzc.jpg

CONRAD: Glossy text.
BATTERIJENHUIS: Text not glossy, watch the ridge on the positive side.

2z4kepc.jpg

Photo says enough.

2vkco4n.jpg

Look at the foil on the batteries bottom.

2s0mkwi.jpg

Photo says enough.

Remon

Newly Enlightened
Four! They are identical, except the label.

I've send a e-mail to Sanyo Europe, and they replied to me that they are in process of changing the battery labels due new European regulations...

rookiedaddy

Enlightened
this is interesting... :thinking:
i'm starting to wonder if there are any fake Eneloop that also hold their charge after 6 months, if it does and it offers higher capacity, perhaps they should just market it using their own brand?

Remon: do you have a closer shot of the cell from Batterijenhuis that shows a clearer text? would like to get some clarification from Sanyo :confused:

btw, all my Eneloop comes in "over-protective" packaging, it looks exactly like this packaging from batterijenhuis. The inner packaging is good enough to be use as a battery holder.
Below is the packaging I received:
MyEneloopPackaging.jpg

Remon

Newly Enlightened
The Eneloops from Batterijenhuis (old batch) and Conrad (new batch) came both in a identical plastc/carton blister. Not in the package shown on their website. Only difference was the date of production printed on the back.

2f06t1x.jpg

Above: old batch from Batterijenhuis
Under: new batch from Conrad

I don't have more photo's from the old Eneloop batch. I give them away to a friend.

Sugarboy

Banned
Here is the front of the new packaging that I received, it looks very much like the genuine one.

fakeeneloop4pack.jpg

My cells has similar ridge like fake cells on rookiedaddy's pictures. You can see it here, fake one on the right.

fakeeneloopridge.jpg

even the packaging is not that "very much like the genuine on"..

pay close attention on the font & the colors..:ironic:

rookiedaddy

Enlightened
The Eneloops from Batterijenhuis (old batch) and Conrad (new batch) came both in a identical plastc/carton blister. Not in the package shown on their website. Only difference was the date of production printed on the back.

I don't have more photo's from the old Eneloop batch. I give them away to a friend.
Thanks... the new image is good enough :thumbsup:, I shall forward to Sanyo and ask if they produce different version for different region (I'm from Asia). It would be interesting to get their feedback. :naughty:

Marko

Newly Enlightened
even the packaging is not that "very much like the genuine on"..

pay close attention on the font & the colors..:ironic:

Are we looking at the same packaging? :thinking: Fonts looks exactly the same to me, since its probably photocopied like Mr Happy mentioned eralier. Colors may vary a bit just because of different white balance settings.

Mr Happy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Some details of the design and labeling have certainly varied over time.

Here are three eneloops; 2005 USA (left), 2009 USA (middle), 2008 Japan (right):

img1285.jpg

Note how the blue ink is slightly darker on the newer ones and the positive button is slightly taller. Also note the slight ridge around the top of the older cell that is absent from the newer ones.

img1286m.jpg

img1287bjl.jpg

As has been noted previously in this thread the "small print" has been changed to a different layout on newer cells.

img1293z.jpg

This shows clearly how the older cell has a transparent overlay on the wrapping where the new cells have a single layer opaque covering. The squarish button with four vent holes is also very evident. This is probably the single most distinguishing feature of the eneloop. So far no fake cells have been seen to have this design.

Sugarboy

Banned
Are we looking at the same packaging? :thinking: Fonts looks exactly the same to me, since its probably photocopied like Mr Happy mentioned eralier. Colors may vary a bit just because of different white balance settings.

Obviously not the same font. Also the space between each character & "boldness" of each character is very not the same.

Sugarboy

Banned
3799971875_ab04af13d9_b.jpg

3800787896_1e6672ee55_b.jpg

i keep the packaging just in case i need to compare..

that's what i bought from a reputable brick & mortar battery store in Hong Kong around a year ago.

Please note there's a laser "anti-fake" sticker (the shiny silver one) & a blue sticker saying "Cell Made In Japan (MIJ), can be charged approx. 1,000 times"

Also, the Sanyo website should read "www.sanyohk.com" on the back

VidPro

Flashlight Enthusiast
Both genuine Eneloops.

Photo says enough.

2s0mkwi.jpg

The right one looks like a fake, i have never seen a real eneloop with that type of top nipple, do you have testing equiptment?

i would like to play along with this whole thread, like a Matching Game, but everything IDed so far by others correlates with all the other information.
that just leaves this one. missed out on all the fun :)

Last edited:

Remon

Newly Enlightened
The right one looks like a fake, i have never seen a real eneloop with that type of top nipple, do you have testing equiptment?

The right one is real for sure. I bought it together with a quick charger from a Sanyo store locator recommended shop. http://www.eneloop.info/where-to-buy/europe/netherland.html

For verification, i bought also a twinpack from another recommended store. That ones are exactly the same as the right one on the quoted photo.

The capacity of the batteries are around 1970 mAh. I've test that with a Maha Powerex C9000 charger/analyzer.

I'm also hanging around on a dutch forum, with a big batteries discussion thread. The people along there verified both batches as genuine.

Later i bought cheap Eneloops from a guy in that thread, he bought them directly from Sanyo, and are exactly the same. They came in bulk packaging to him:

2dkzfuo.jpg

Last edited:

Sugarboy

Banned
The "over 2500 mAh" figure is not the capacity - it's the energy that was put into the cell during the charge. The final figure is the capacity, and it sounds about right for an Eneloop tested with a current model C9000.

Have a close look at the positive terminal - if it has four vents, and looks a bit squarish, it's probably a genuine Eneloop. Also, check on which side of the seam the date code is printed.

I bought four packs of Eneloops in HK a few weeks ago, (dirt cheap from Apliu St. - HK$63 per pack) and the packaging looks identical to the DX pics, but the cells have the characteristic positive terminal shape, and return capacities of around 2000 mAh on a break-in. They seem to be as genuine as the other 40 cells I have, but have no outer clear shrink wrap over the white one. Date code is 08-11 UI.

Cheers

Most Eneloops in Apliu St. are actually fake..

I live in Hong Kong.. The real ones should bear an "anti-fake" sticker on the packaging..

VidPro

Flashlight Enthusiast
The right one is real for sure. I bought it together with a quick charger from a Sanyo store locator recommended shop. http://www.eneloop.info/where-to-buy/europe/netherland.html

For verification, i bought also a twinpack from another recommended store. That ones are exactly the same as the right one on the quoted photo.

are you sure you posted the correct picture of the one you purchaced from a reliable source? and not the one you bought from the bulk pack?

Remon

Newly Enlightened
are you sure you posted the correct picture of the one you purchaced from a reliable source? and not the one you bought from the bulk pack?
I took the photo before i bought the Eneloops from the bulk pack.

The batteries from the bulk pack are also genuine for sure.