Ever play with your water proof lights in water?

chiphead

Flashlight Enthusiast
There are times when I want to make sure that my units with handle a good thunderstorm, I'll take one in shower with me. I'd rather have in fail in shower than out there! And that's a good thing now that it's finally raining here in Austin!

Chiphead

Linger

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes. I dive with my dive rated lights.
Water ingress is pretty simple. Check seals are proper, lube threading / orings so they sit in place. So my 'water proof' (not dive rated) lights get wet when required too. Most people do freak out when I intentionally put a light under water.
The past weekend my brother was sitting on the dock and wanted to look into the water for fish (just past dusk, at our cottage). There was too much fog lifting off the water to see much, so I just put my Quark under the water to look around. Found 3 decently sized fish just off the dock, but everyone present was hysterical that 'it wasn't worth it' putting the light in the water.

Aside from dive lights, I trust Zebra501, Jetbeam pro ST III, Quark AAT to snorkling depths, and use them underwater when required.

Last edited:

JMJ3rd

Newly Enlightened
If it says it's waterproof it ends up in the pool with me and the kids!

Illum

Flashaholic
tie the hardy black SLPP4AA Lux to an anchor a throw it in to a spring fed river. At night you would see this eerie glow at the bottom of the channel that's wiggling about and playing hide and seek in the sand or what not being carried by the water. Give it enough slack to keep your boat away from it and watch other boats crowd above it wondering what is it and whether to try and retrieve it. :crackup:

I lost that light though....along with the anchor when it got snagged on something my canoe can't pull back up. That light either got carried away or taken away because some diver called my phone number about finding my anchor [I write my number on there] but didn't mention a flashlight:thinking:

I don't have a pool or else I'd throw my surefire's in when I have access to dry ice:ohgeez:

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
I am always experimenting with my lights, trying out different batteries, heads, tailcaps, light engines, etc, but do not just put my lights in deep water on purpose unless I am using a guaranteed waterproof light, like Pelican sells, or Arc with a rating of at least 50 feet. Also, it is often recommended to not turn the light off and on in the water, as you can compromise the seals.

Bill

DM51

Flashaholic
Just a note to anyone who may be thinking of experimenting to see how water-tight their light is: if you really must do this, please do it in FRESH water, NOT seawater. In other words, try it in a bathtub, swimming pool, river, inland lake etc - but NOT in the sea.

Saltwater and batteries/electronics do not mix, and if you get a saltwater flood, your light WILL be ruined. If you get a flood with fresh water, you may be able to rescue the light by drying it out carefully.

It goes without saying that all seals should be properly checked and maintained before trying anything like this.

berry580

Flashlight Enthusiast
Have you ever dived with one of your "waterproof" (but not dive rated) lights like Quark AAT?

It'll be interesting to see how far down they'll survive,

I've dived (without equipment) down to above 2-3metres with my iTP C7, and it was all cool =)
Yes. I dive with my dive rated lights.
Water ingress is pretty simple. Check seals are proper, lube threading / orings so they sit in place. So my 'water proof' (not dive rated) lights get wet when required too. Most people do freak out when I intentionally put a light under water.
The past weekend my brother was sitting on the dock and wanted to look into the water for fish (just past dusk, at our cottage). There was too much fog lifting off the water to see much, so I just put my Quark under the water to look around. Found 3 decently sized fish just off the dock, but everyone present was hysterical that 'it wasn't worth it' putting the light in the water.

Aside from dive lights, I trust Zebra501, Jetbeam pro ST III, Quark AAT to snorkling depths, and use them underwater when required.

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
I often do a dunk test by sinking a light in a glass of water while it's on and leave it there a few minutes. First thing I did when I got my E0 was to leave it in the glass for a full hour. I also have been out in light to heavy rain and no problems so far.

Illum

Flashaholic
Saltwater and batteries/electronics do not mix, and if you get a saltwater flood, your light WILL be ruined. If you get a flood with fresh water, you may be able to rescue the light by drying it out carefully.

It goes without saying that all seals should be properly checked and maintained before trying anything like this.

not to mention electrolysis even if seals are properly checked:candle:

Latest posts