FCW-6 Flashaholics Camping Weekend! NJ, PA, NY + AREA on 6/10/10 - 6/13/10

ziptrickhead

Newly Enlightened
Voorhees does sound a lot better, even if there isn't the stream by the camp. I don't know about the others, but FCW was the least outdoors productive of any camping trip I've been on since most of the time was spent hanging out with the others instead of going around and exploring.

I'll be going to Ricketts Glen with carrot in a week or so and we could go check the place out and see if they have any walk in sites (although from the map that doesn't look to be the case). There might still be an issue with parking since it's still a PA state park, but maybe we can find sites that aren't too far from the secondary car parking. I don't think they have as big of a bear problem as Hickory Run though, but maybe someone who knows PA better can chime in on that. If that's the case then perhaps food stuff wouldn't have to be packed into the car every night. My favorite site there was 103, but it seems that it was changed into a pet site over the past year.

Ricketts Glen does have that beautiful waterfall hiking trail though.

KartRacer31

Flashlight Enthusiast
No doubt about it, there will be much less to do at Voorhees than at Hickory Run. And the area is less scenic. They do have: an osbservatory; fishing; hiking and bicycling trails; a parcouse which is a series of 15 exercise stations spaced along a one mile path; and of course hanging out by the campfire, which I believe is the number one activity of this group. Actually playing with our lights is the number one activity, so hanging out by the fire is number two. :grin2:

I hear Ricketts Glenn is nice, but doesn't have any combination of sites to make an area appropriate for our group.

One other thing I forgot to mention about Voorhees is that they have 3 cabin/shelters there. They are really nice, mini cabins, with a few windows, four bunk beds, a wood burning stove, small front porch and a small table and bench inside. They also have a fire ring outside. They would offer a nice option to anyone who wants to come and stay overnight with us but isn't into tent camping. The cabins are a short walk from the group sites. They cost $40 per night.

Roger Sully

Flashlight Enthusiast
I camped at Dingman for a weekend last year and it was great! I had site 125 right next to the ramp leading down to the River and at night the sounds of the water flowing was nice.
That being said it seems that it might not be cost effective! Voorhees sounds good to me. Maybe I can even show up this time!

Last edited:

Lighthouse one

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm in for Voorhees! Ricketts Glenn is a great place...but not for a group...I've been there 4 times. THe group sites are worthless. Also...RIcketts is quite a long drive for everyone. It also fills up fast since it is very popular. THey are also fussy about car parking here!

TIm: Isn't Voorhees 4 miles down the road from Milky's? Is this the park I pass- just across from the High School?

Last edited:

Kid9P

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm up for anything near Milky's.

Unfortunately, the ride just kicked my butt this time around.
It just seemed like it would never end, I was just wasted.

I'll have to pass on anything alot farther than Scott's place next time around. If not, I'll see you guys at the next PF event.

Ray

KartRacer31

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi guys, Thanks for all the feedback here and in the several PM's you sent about a new location for FCW-7.

It seems like we are all leaning the same way. I think the cost and other issues with Dingmans Camground have ruled it out. While Voorhees isn't as nice, it will serve our needs until a better location can be found. So I'm going to book it. Keep an eye out here for the date and a link to a new thread about it.

KartRacer31

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi guys - For anyone who has not seen it, here is an excellent example of a review done by Monolith: www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=279381 It's really well done providing mention of the event, who supplied the product he won, and a link to their website, and he even got a plug in for Dorcy for providing the battery! Nicely done!

Kid9P

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like the fact that VOORHEES is very close to the town of Califon(Milky's). That will cut my commute by almost 2 hours :huh:...count me it.

Plus any camping associated with the Voorhees name sounds cool.
Reminds me of Jason Voorhees from the Friday the 13th camping horror flics :devil:

I may bring a tent and actually camp out this time around.

Ray

TOB9595

Enlightened
I like the fact that VOORHEES is very close to the town of Califon(Milky's). ..........:devil:

I may bring a tent and actually camp out this time around.

Ray

Or a hammock Ray, I'll bring one for you if....
Hahahaha
Tom

Data

Flashlight Enthusiast
Items won:

Phoebus Wilderness Kit donated by Phoebus review
Maglight XL100 donated by BrightGuy.com review
Princeton Tec Fuel Headlamp donated by PrincetonTec.com
Dorcy RubberbodyLED flashlight donated by dorcy.com
Dorcy Pen Light donated by dorcy.com

Last edited:

KartRacer31

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great reviews guys, please keep them coming, and try to let me know via a PM if possible. Thanks :twothumbs

KartRacer31

Flashlight Enthusiast
:grouphug: IMPORTANT INFO: :party: I booked FCW-7.

The date is: Thursday - September 30th / Friday - October 1st / Saturday - October 2nd / and Sunday - October 3rd. And it's not at Voorhees. I found an even better place. And don't worry it's not going to cost any more $$ than Voorhees, and it's in about the same location, so it will not be much different as far as drive time for everyone. FCW-7 will be at Stokes State Forest. Stay tuned for all the details.

AnimalHousePA

Enlightened
Hey everyone! I'm P.O.'d that I couldn't make it this time and at the very last moment no less:( Looks like everyone had a great time...except for Ranger *ick. :shakehead The lights that the sponsors donated look great and everyone is lucky to have got them...I'm definitely in for the next campout! :)