Fenix E01

SixM

Newly Enlightened
I am diggin' all this E01 activity!

run4jc, thank you for the continuing updates!

:thumbsup:

I've dug mine out and have been edc'ing it since reading this. Can't believe I haven't done the steel wool to mine before now, I like the improvement.

run4jc

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am diggin' all this E01 activity!

run4jc, thank you for the continuing updates!

:thumbsup:

I've dug mine out and have been edc'ing it since reading this. Can't believe I haven't done the steel wool to mine before now, I like the improvement.

Thank you both, but credit where credit is due....Cerealand started a run time test before I did and used the included cell - that's great information he provided! As far as the steel wool treatment, I can take NO credit for that. I heard about it from Scout24 and he tells me that he got it from Carrot.

Regardless, it's great that you are enjoying the little light. It has been praised and maligned - made fun of - called "old" and "obsolete". Everyone is entitled to their opinions. My opinion is that it is an no-brainer to own a bunch of these. I have one stashed in the bathrooms - several in my BOB - 1 on my key ring - and a bunch of unopened ones to use if SHTF or to give as gifts (hopefully the latter, not the former!).

Heck, $10 shipped, battery vampire, decent beam after a minimal amount of effort to 'mod' it - what's not to love! I just wish Vinh would do his mod on these again. I have 3 of those and the beam after his mod is outstanding.

carrot

Flashaholic
Thank you both, but credit where credit is due....Cerealand started a run time test before I did and used the included cell - that's great information he provided! As far as the steel wool treatment, I can take NO credit for that. I heard about it from Scout24 and he tells me that he got it from Carrot.

Funny. :thinking: I can't remember having said anything about that. But then again, I've said and written a lot that I don't remember, either!

Thanks to this thread I ordered a new E01. It's no Arc-AAA (in design and feel) but it certainly represents a killer value. It should be arriving later today.

run4jc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Funny. :thinking: I can't remember having said anything about that. But then again, I've said and written a lot that I don't remember, either!

Thanks to this thread I ordered a new E01. It's no Arc-AAA (in design and feel) but it certainly represents a killer value. It should be arriving later today.

I think it was actually originally for the Mako? At any rate, it translates nicely to the E01!

V V Ah, yes- the A2. That's right. Thanks, Greg! V V

Last edited:

scout24

Flashaholic
Carrot- I swear it was you, in a Surefire A2 thread if I recall, singing the praises of the improvement in the secondary beam after steel wooling the LED's... Many moons ago. :)

skeefu

Newly Enlightened
Just a heads up to everyone.......Fenix-gear.com just updated their site and now all colors are available for the E01 !! I just ordered 4 lights.

run4jc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Okay - time for finals on the battery test. AT 42 hours, 56 minutes and 57 seconds the little bugger gave up the ghost. I unscrewed the head and went about my business getting ready for work. A few minutes later I screwed the head back down and lo and behold, we have light! I didn't measure it, but took it with me in the car to work. I honestly don't know how long it ran - when I came back to my car 4 ½ hours later it was dead.

So I unscrewed the head again and let things settle down. Waited a few minutes and the little bugger came back on. I estimate it was probably half a lumen. I was driving home (I teach at a University) and just left it on. After 25 minutes it looked like this:

I decided "that's it - I'm calling it." SO - if it ran 25 minutes the first time it 'came back to life' plus the measured additional 25 minutes, that's another 50 minutes on top of the original almost 43 hours - so let's make it 43 hours and 45 minutes...of useful light (well, except for maybe the last 10 minutes or so.)

And you know what else? I just tried again and it lit up AGAIN - but I'm not going to test it any further. That battery is down to .265V and I think it paid its dues...(so to speak.)

So Greg's trying to kill his (unsuccessfully) in his new torture thread (here) and mine is a battery vampire extraordinaire. Love it or hate it, truly the "cockroach of flashlights" (not my phrase....wish I'd thought of it!)

N_N_R

Enlightened
This light is awesome :) It's literally bomb-proof (I think someone shot at one of Fenix' lights with a firearm on YT, no?) and I'd rather have THIS than some fancy stuff whose electronics will go crazy after dropping it twice on the concrete floor.. Pity they sell only black here.

run4jc

Flashlight Enthusiast
This light is awesome :) It's literally bomb-proof (I think someone shot at one of Fenix' lights with a firearm on YT, no?) and I'd rather have THIS than some fancy stuff whose electronics will go crazy after dropping it twice on the concrete floor.. Pity they sell only black here.

N N R - off topic so hopefully I won't get in trouble, but in 2010 I spent a week in Sophia and the surrounding countryside. I think your country is beautiful

Now, back to the E01 discussion! If you want an olive drab or a blue one, send me your shipping address via PM and I'll ship one to you!

nbp

Flashaholic
A quick unboxing for my new E01s that arrived today from Fenix Store. It's like brand new lights even though I have had E01s for years! Haha. I love when I can get excited over cheapie lights. :grin2:

Ooh, here they come!

e017_zps4c6be1d3.jpg

Front and back of packaging.

e011_zps0dba1b40.jpg

Included items: light, cell, o-ring, split ring, documentation.

e012_zps5e071e9c.jpg

Fantastic anodizing and engraving, as we've come to expect. Buttery smooth threads too.

eo13_zpse34296c1.jpg

Business end.

e014_zpsfb269101.jpg

PCB end of head. Notice the white potting compound through the tiny gaps. A main reason why these are so tough!!

e015_zps59129ca8.jpg

A quick and dirty beamshot. This is about 12 inches from the wall in my dark closet. I started the light on the included cell at 1:30pm CST for runtime test. We'll see how she goes!

e016_zps7a3c0c0f.jpg

Burgess

Flashaholic
My run-time results, using Energizer Ultimate Lithium ( L92 ) batteries . . . . .

Old - Style lasts 14 Hours, before dropping out of regulation.

New - Style lasts 10 Hours, before dropping out of regulation.

Measured using my Sekonic L-308DC photography light meter.
(accurate to 1/10th of a stop)

I did not continue testing, beyond this point.

This confirms my suspicions:

The New - Style of Fenix E01 does indeed draw higher battery current.

Regulated time on L92 battery has now Decreased about 30 %.

Light Output is one full f/stop Increased !

Hey -- that increased Brightness MUST come from SOMEWHERE !
:cool:

RESPECT for this inexpensive, rugged & reliable, handy little flashlight !
:twothumbs
_

Mr Floppy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Old - Style lasts 14 Hours, before dropping out of regulation.

Thanks pretty good, my old one is around 11 hours, measured at the battery though. Ideally I would love to take the voltage over the LED but not been successful in de-potting one yet.

scout24

Flashaholic
Thanks for the numbers, Burgess. Still impressive, and I'm running one new and one old down to dead on L92's starting tonight. Hoping we don't give up too much of that tailing dropoff... :)

gurdygurds

Flashlight Enthusiast
When I put my 5 yr old daughter to bed tonight I had my E01 and was using it as a little nightlight while we talked. She picked it up and was shining it on the ceiling and asked, "Where is the ball daddy?" I asked what she meant and she wondered where the "ball" in the light beam went on my flashlight. I told her that I had sanded the LED to make the beam smooth so my "ball" wasn't there anymore. She then asked if we could sand hers tomorrow so it was like mine. (She has a purple E01) Apparently my little flashaholic in the making likes a floodier beam with no hotspot. LOL

Last edited:

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can see Fenix hitting retail very soon as they seem to be very pro active at present across all ranges.They seriously will need to lower the price of the EO1 for retail as it is a stitch up price and certainly not worth the money as charged in the high mark up hobby side.

N_N_R

Enlightened
In my country the new ones already sell for 5 BGN less than the old ones did ( apprx. $3 less than before).