Fenix LD41 Review - 4 AA - XM-L

firelord777

Enlightened
That looks like a light i would buy since i want a more powerfull aa light.i have a TK20 and a LD20 but this would suit my needs better :) thanks for the great review :bow:

Hi,

I love my TK20 as well, and this is a good addition, especially seeing the TK20 and your LD20 both use AA, this light also uses AA. Personally, AA powered lights give me a peace of mind in case of an emergency:)

Cheers, Alain

InquisitiveInquirer

Enlightened
Hi Alain,
Any chance you've got the other new fenix E40? It's also a 4AA configuration though of a completely different type as it's more a thrower. It's pretty cheap too. I think i saw it for a cool $45 shipped approximately. It's unfortunate that it probably won't be as nice as the LD41 though (just my speculation because of the price difference & because it's made of plastic as opposed to aluminum). I think i might have to get this as well. AGGHHH too many new lights. I've been clean for half a year now. Then, i just had to visit CPF again after my hiatus and i think i'm going to start using again..... flashlight purchases that is... hahaha DAMNIT.

firelord777

Enlightened
Hi Alain,
Any chance you've got the other new fenix E40? It's also a 4AA configuration though of a completely different type as it's more a thrower. It's pretty cheap too. I think i saw it for a cool $45 shipped approximately. It's unfortunate that it probably won't be as nice as the LD41 though (just my speculation because of the price difference & because it's made of plastic as opposed to aluminum). I think i might have to get this as well. AGGHHH too many new lights. I've been clean for half a year now. Then, i just had to visit CPF again after my hiatus and i think i'm going to start using again..... flashlight purchases that is... hahaha DAMNIT.

Hey II,

Im not exactly sure when, but when I get it, I'll make sure to notify you when the review is done, or give you a quick comparison:)

Cheers:)

igoman

Newly Enlightened
Thank you for a very nice review!
Do you think this would be a worthy upgrade from LD40, or do the two lights just serve for totally different purposes?
Do you think the LD40 still out-throws the LD41?

Burgess

Flashaholic
to igoman --

Your Signature Line comes from "Aliens", doesn't it !

Carrie Henn / Newt

;)
_

firelord777

Enlightened
Thank you for a very nice review!
Do you think this would be a worthy upgrade from LD40, or do the two lights just serve for totally different purposes?
Do you think the LD40 still out-throws the LD41?

My answer is going to be a bit blurry. I don't have an LD40, but I've read a great deal about this light as well. It has the XP-G, and in my mind, I expect it to throw farther than the LD41's XM-L, assuming they have more or less the same sized reflector.

Worthy "upgrades" in my POV is the full metal body (unless you live in cold climates), a slightly more balanced beam, and of course more brightness overall.

So if you're looking for throw, I think your LD40 is still in the game:)

Cheers:D

UpstandingCitizen

Enlightened
Do you guys think it would be possible to use the LD41 as a bike light?

It looks like the diameter is 40mm (and the shape of the body is not round), which means that it might be too large for the Fenix AF02 flashlight mount:

201072115727277.jpg

photo credit: http://www.fenixlight.com/viewnproduct.asp?id=71

enomosiki

Flashlight Enthusiast
Style #6: I included this style because I remember this is how some people use their lights in conjunction with a small firearm. I'm not sure how the hold is called, but for now, let's just call it the "tac grip" until someone more knowledgeable in this field chimes in.
WJXNA.jpg

That's called Harries Technique, where you have the wrist of the light hand under the wrist of the shooting hand and back of both hands firmly planted together.

firelord777

Enlightened
Do you guys think it would be possible to use the LD41 as a bike light?

It looks like the diameter is 40mm (and the shape of the body is not round), which means that it might be too large for the Fenix AF02 flashlight mount:

201072115727277.jpg

photo credit: http://www.fenixlight.com/viewnproduct.asp?id=71

I don't have a bike mount, so I can't know for sure. The light's shape is unique, but perhaps if you tie it at the head, it may be more stable? Perhaps someone with similarly shaped lights like the LD40 or PA40 may help out a bit more than I did:)

Cheers

CyberCT

Enlightened
You can use that bike mount with almost any Fenix light with some modification (using the mount upside down and getting longer screws at Lowest to replace the stock ones. I have modded two and can have my TK45 and TK41 both on my bike if I wish.

As for the LD41, it's a great little light. I would have been all over this but since I finally took the plunge for 18650 batteries (TK35), AAs don't interest me much anymore and the TK35 looks to be just a tad bigger but better runtmes and output. For AA only thought, this light looks superb.

UpstandingCitizen

Enlightened
You can use that bike mount with almost any Fenix light with some modification (using the mount upside down and getting longer screws at Lowest to replace the stock ones. I have modded two and can have my TK45 and TK41 both on my bike if I wish.

Very cool!

I'm not much of a DIY'er but that sounds like something I can manage. By chance, would you happen to have any photos of your mounted TK41/45?

firelord777

Enlightened
Hey guys

Just as a quick update, over at the Spanish flashlight forum, I have the review in Spanish. So a member told me that compared to the PA40, the LD41 is basically lighter, feels better in the hand, has a tighter hotspot and throws farther:)

igoman

Newly Enlightened
I assume this light must be something like TK21 just with AA baterries.

InquisitiveInquirer

Enlightened
Hey guys

Just as a quick update, over at the Spanish flashlight forum, I have the review in Spanish. So a member told me that compared to the PA40, the LD41 is basically lighter, feels better in the hand, has a tighter hotspot and throws farther:)

Now did they compare the LD41 to a PA40 with OP or SMO reflector? Speaking of which, does the LD41 only come with SMO reflector (my preferred) or do some come with OP? In any case, in anticipation of getting the LD41, i've already sold my Jetbeam PA40. haha. I just couldn't resist. Sure hope it does throw further and have a tighter beam.

firelord777

Enlightened
Now did they compare the LD41 to a PA40 with OP or SMO reflector? Speaking of which, does the LD41 only come with SMO reflector (my preferred) or do some come with OP? In any case, in anticipation of getting the LD41, i've already sold my Jetbeam PA40. haha. I just couldn't resist. Sure hope it does throw further and have a tighter beam.

I'm not exactly sure. I never knew the PA40 had an OP model, but he did say the LD41 throws farther and feels better, according to him. Personally, I don't have a PA40, so I don't know how it would fare against it 100%. I do know however, that the LD41 has a tight beam for its reflector size, so it throws very good. I tend to think of it as a light with a hotspot just a bit bigger than the F30C.

If you liked the PA40, but not that UI as some have told me, then you'll love the LD41.

Cheers

firelord777

Enlightened
Sorry, I forgot your earlier question,

The LD41 as far as I know only has the SMO reflector, remember, I received the production model, not a prototype. Glad to hear you like SMO, so do I:)

Jida

Newly Enlightened
I just picked up 3 of these lights based upon this review and others. I wanted to match up this stockpile of Eneloops with a light that had more umph than the single AA's I have picked up over the years. So far all I have done is play around a bit with it, taking for a walk tonight to see how it performs.

Initial thoughts,

1) It is bright but you quickly get used to how bright it is until you go get another light to compare to. When I first turned it on I thought "That is what 500+ lumens looks like?" but then I got the E2Ld and saw that it was swallowed up but the Fenix.
2) The throw aspect is not all that impressive, I knew that going into it, but what I was not really prepared for was the 'wall of light' aspect. It really does throw out a very usable hot spot with spill that is bright and clear in the entire ring.
3) The controls and layout are very good and easy to learn.

Overall, very solid light platform that will make for a good home solution.