Fenix LD41 Review - 4 AA - XM-L

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thank you Firelord777 for the review and for all the effort with pictures and beamshots! :thumbsup:

Actually 2-3 years ago I remember I was dissatisfied about that Fenix didn't yet offer any 4AA light, and until this day Fenix offered 3(if I am right) models.
Any day I will receive E40 and it will be interesting to compare it to Jetbeam PA40. If I didn't already had PA40 I surely had ordered LD41 as well, but I think they are pretty similar, Fenix just slightly brighter.

Last edited:

InquisitiveInquirer

Enlightened
For anyone who is interested to see how the size of the LD41 compares to a Jetbeam PA40, go to youtube and type in fenix ld41. The video by lightjunction that's 4;11 long has a video comparing the LD41 to a LD40(which is the exact dimensions of a jetbeam PA40).

firelord777

Enlightened
Thank you Firelord777 for the review and for all the effort with pictures and beamshots! :thumbsup:

Actually 2-3 years ago I remember I was dissatisfied about that Fenix didn't yet offer any 4AA light, and until this day Fenix offered 3(if I am right) models.
Any day I will receive E40 and it will be interesting to compare it to Jetbeam PA40. If I didn't already had PA40 I surely had ordered LD41 as well, but I think they are pretty similar, Fenix just slightly brighter.

No problem, anytime:)

I've seen pictures of the PA40, and they you're right about having similar designs.

Thanks and cheers:)

ChibiM

Enlightened
This LD 41 is yet one of the lights I'm considering giving to my brother, who is no flashaholic.
4*AA is always good for non-flashaholics

firelord777

Enlightened
This LD 41 is yet one of the lights I'm considering giving to my brother, who is no flashaholic.
4*AA is always good for non-flashaholics

Yeah, that's so true. My brother only has a TK20, and that seems to suit him just fine:). I'm sure your brother will enjoy the light:D

Cheers

aa only

Newly Enlightened
A very excellent review. I am replying because I just purchased an ld41. I would like to add my own observations.

To start with I am new to quality flashlights. This being my first one. I wanted a aa flashlight so if there ever was an extended power failure I would always have extra batteries available. I selected the LD41 due to its very high turbo output and its excellent runtime. For a four aa battery light it last more than double a two aa battery light at the same output. I wanted a light with a strobe for a defensive feature and 520 Lumens would offer a very bright strobe if I ever required it.

My observations in regards to this light...in addition to the ones given in the review are:

One: it is very comfortable to hold. I do have extra large hands so this may contribute to it being so easy to grasp. But I think any size hand should be able to grip it

Two: The strobe is fairly easy to activate. With the flashlight on any light output one holds the mode button for about 1 second for strobe to start. This seems as easy as any of this type of light can work for strobe, but I wish one could enter strobe from the off position by simply holding the mode button for this second. I am concerned that if I ever need stobe in an emergency having the flashlight on in the first place will give away my position.

Three: Unlike this review my light is not stable in a tail stand. It can do it but my on/off button extends about 1 1/2 mm beyond the tail so it does wobble. With the light on this button only extends about 1/2 to 1mm due to it being pressed in, but the light still wobbles some. This light can tail stand but it may fall over. It is possible that with use the on/off button boot will soften or flatten out to make this light stable.

Overall, this was the best review I have seen on a flashlight. I wish I had seen it prior to ordering mine. But it would have just reassured me that this is the right light for my use. If you are looking for an aa battery flashlight that has a lot of power instead of being a smaller two or one battery light, you cannot go wrong with this one. I purchased my flashlight from the fenix-light.com store. Their package deal with a charger and batteries is great.

Jida

Newly Enlightened
I have been busy so I just got out last night on a walk to test out the LD41. During the walk I have 5 different spots where there are no city lights and I tend to light them up with whatever I am carrying. Previously I have walked with a Nitecore D10, a Surefire E2Dl and a Quark Preon 2AA. With the LD41, on every mode, it is better on a walk than the others in every way except for its weight/bulk. The E2Dl out throws it with a tighter hotspot however it is more of a perception thing than 'reality'. You see this hot spot and assume it is brighter but in reality the LD41 is throwing the same amount of usable light but in just a bigger area.

On low/medium/high the light works extremely well. Even on low you can get items mildly illuminated at a decent range, on medium it has the same sort of use as the D10 and on high it is somewhat of a mix between the D10 and the E2Dl.

On turbo the light really starts to pull away from these other lights. In the 'medium' range (25-50 yards) it lights up almost everything to comfortably take in your whole range of vision. To really appreciate it you need an area with no lights about 30+ yards wide and 50+ yards long with bushes/trees in it. It goes from being completely dark to completely visible.

This is my first light of this kind and I am sure that other big lights (like the TK40) give off a similar beam pattern. This LD41 though with 4AAs and relatively small package is a real winner.

firelord777

Enlightened
A very excellent review. I am replying because I just purchased an ld41. I would like to add my own observations.

To start with I am new to quality flashlights. This being my first one. I wanted a aa flashlight so if there ever was an extended power failure I would always have extra batteries available. I selected the LD41 due to its very high turbo output and its excellent runtime. For a four aa battery light it last more than double a two aa battery light at the same output. I wanted a light with a strobe for a defensive feature and 520 Lumens would offer a very bright strobe if I ever required it.

My observations in regards to this light...in addition to the ones given in the review are:

One: it is very comfortable to hold. I do have extra large hands so this may contribute to it being so easy to grasp. But I think any size hand should be able to grip it

Two: The strobe is fairly easy to activate. With the flashlight on any light output one holds the mode button for about 1 second for strobe to start. This seems as easy as any of this type of light can work for strobe, but I wish one could enter strobe from the off position by simply holding the mode button for this second. I am concerned that if I ever need stobe in an emergency having the flashlight on in the first place will give away my position.

Three: Unlike this review my light is not stable in a tail stand. It can do it but my on/off button extends about 1 1/2 mm beyond the tail so it does wobble. With the light on this button only extends about 1/2 to 1mm due to it being pressed in, but the light still wobbles some. This light can tail stand but it may fall over. It is possible that with use the on/off button boot will soften or flatten out to make this light stable.

Overall, this was the best review I have seen on a flashlight. I wish I had seen it prior to ordering mine. But it would have just reassured me that this is the right light for my use. If you are looking for an aa battery flashlight that has a lot of power instead of being a smaller two or one battery light, you cannot go wrong with this one. I purchased my flashlight from the fenix-light.com store. Their package deal with a charger and batteries is great.

Hey AA only,

Thank you for sharing your impressions with us, I appreciate it:)

I found your first two points very true. However, on the third, I was surprised to read what you wrote. Supposedly, I don't think there is any reason why some LD41 can tail stand and others cannot. Having the light in my hand, I can see the tail boot does in fact, protrude a little bit when tail standing it. I've never noticed that until I read your post:D

My apologies everyone, during testing, the light didn't show signs of "wobbliness". But regardless, on your light, does the tail boot really protrude that much to make it unstable? Maybe you have the lanyard on? With the lanyard, mine can still tail stand, but it does get slightly off balance:)

Thanks for the kind words, it's a pleasure helping people out:)

Cheers:)

firelord777

Enlightened
I have been busy so I just got out last night on a walk to test out the LD41. During the walk I have 5 different spots where there are no city lights and I tend to light them up with whatever I am carrying. Previously I have walked with a Nitecore D10, a Surefire E2Dl and a Quark Preon 2AA. With the LD41, on every mode, it is better on a walk than the others in every way except for its weight/bulk. The E2Dl out throws it with a tighter hotspot however it is more of a perception thing than 'reality'. You see this hot spot and assume it is brighter but in reality the LD41 is throwing the same amount of usable light but in just a bigger area.

On low/medium/high the light works extremely well. Even on low you can get items mildly illuminated at a decent range, on medium it has the same sort of use as the D10 and on high it is somewhat of a mix between the D10 and the E2Dl.

On turbo the light really starts to pull away from these other lights. In the 'medium' range (25-50 yards) it lights up almost everything to comfortably take in your whole range of vision. To really appreciate it you need an area with no lights about 30+ yards wide and 50+ yards long with bushes/trees in it. It goes from being completely dark to completely visible.

This is my first light of this kind and I am sure that other big lights (like the TK40) give off a similar beam pattern. This LD41 though with 4AAs and relatively small package is a real winner.

Thank you as well Jida for sharing with us your findings:)

It is a sweet light, cheers:D

aa only

Newly Enlightened
Hey AA only,

Thank you for sharing your impressions with us, I appreciate it:)

I found your first two points very true. However, on the third, I was surprised to read what you wrote. Supposedly, I don't think there is any reason why some LD41 can tail stand and others cannot. Having the light in my hand, I can see the tail boot does in fact, protrude a little bit when tail standing it. I've never noticed that until I read your post:D

My apologies everyone, during testing, the light didn't show signs of "wobbliness". But regardless, on your light, does the tail boot really protrude that much to make it unstable? Maybe you have the lanyard on? With the lanyard, mine can still tail stand, but it does get slightly off balance:)

Thanks for the kind words, it's a pleasure helping people out:)

Cheers:)

In reply, even without the lanyard the light wobbles when tail standing. In fact a lanyard helps a little since it attaches to the opposite end of the tail. thus raising its end slightly. My light does tailstand, but just not firmly due to the on off button protruding. I removed the battery pack and reinstalled it to see if it changed anything, but it didn't. I can only think it is a matter of production and how the on off button is installed.

bluebonnet

Newly Enlightened
The lines of the LD41 remind me of a lot of the Eveready Double Barrel...still a very handsome light in my opinion. Thanks very much for the nice review and good luck with your new purchase. I decided to order one from Bright Guy after I saw your photos. Thanks again.

firelord777

Enlightened
The lines of the LD41 remind me of a lot of the Eveready Double Barrel...still a very handsome light in my opinion. Thanks very much for the nice review and good luck with your new purchase. I decided to order one from Bright Guy after I saw your photos. Thanks again.

Hey bluebonnet,

Your very welcome as always, anytime. If you ever have a question, I will always be eager to help you out:D

Cheers

Burgess

Flashaholic
By any chance . . . .

Could you possibly post a photo of this new flashlight
next to the old Streamlight ProPolymer 4AA Luxeon ?

That would be *really* interesting !

firelord777

Enlightened
By any chance . . . .

Could you possibly post a photo of this new flashlight
next to the old Streamlight ProPolymer 4AA Luxeon ?

That would be *really* interesting !

Hey Burgess,

If you're asking me, I would really love to and help you, but unfortunately, I don't have a streamlight. Sorry again:)

Cheers