First impressions..DX: L1P type with Seoul !! MTE 1xAA SSCP4 42180-U

Yapo

Enlightened
Re: They've arrived !! First impressions..DX: L1P type with Seoul !!

Haha lol i just tried unscrewin the head and tail of it...unscrewing tail just made it flicker more and unscrewing head flickered while unscrewing and also dimmed it slightly and screwing it tighter made it brighter. Abd then i compared it to the L1P and a few seconds after i turned them both on the DX light flicker brighter and brighter over 3 flickers...not by alot but it was noticably brighter...this light has a mind of its own...i guess it doesnt want to be beaten by an older light :touche:

oh yeh and the threads on this light arent very long, 2.5turns and the head and tail comes off on my L1P it takes about 6 or 7turns

Yapo

Enlightened

OH YEAH!!! i figured out that the end of the threads on the body was too short to make direct contact with the circuit board part on the head like the L1P an other typical lights do...only the threads make contact to complete the circuit...so i tried filling that gap with a ring of aluminium foil and now it works like a beauty!!!:xyxgun: its about the same brightness as my P1D CE on medium/primary mode which i tested by ceiling bounce in my white bathroom...and also goodbye flickering!

Omega Man

Flashlight Enthusiast

Yapo, can you put it's head on the L1P body and confirm that it fits, and that it behaves properly on the L1P body?

ledflasher79

Newly Enlightened

Der Wichtel

Enlightened
It is not the same LED. The DX one has a U-bin Seoul P4 and Kaidomain the T-bin.
Look at the names

DX:MTE 1xAA SSCP4 42180-U
Kai:MTE 1xAA SSCP4 42180-T

Yapo

Enlightened

Omega Man said:
Yapo, can you put it's head on the L1P body and confirm that it fits, and that it behaves properly on the L1P body?

Well the head does fit on the L1P body but it is a few mm shorter than the L1P's head and therefore it only screws down to where the O-ring is but it does still work the same though.

Yapo

Enlightened
sorry bout the beam shots...they were some random ones i took a few days ago but i was thinking of doin som better ones but never got to it.

18982915.c40b2f

MTE light

18982921.376c11

MTE left, L1P right

18983088.ef9c18

P1D CE primary mode left MTE Right underexposed (the wall was a little reflective)
NOTE: the NiMH i used had been running for 5-10mins when i took these

Last edited:

waiwak

Newly Enlightened
Der Wichtel said:
It is not the same LED. The DX one has a U-bin Seoul P4 and Kaidomain the T-bin.
Look at the names

I'm glad you pointed that out, as I just ordered five of the DX version of this light. And that's after ordering, and then canceling (due to the delay), four JetBeam CL-Es from DX. For an additional 20 lumens, I'll gladly pay the extra $3.

Omega Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks a bunch for the beamshots. But meh, it doesn't look like that much of a difference over the L1P. I think I can afford to sit out this one afterall. Hell, by next year there'll be something twice as bright anyway!

Yapo

Enlightened
Omega Man said:
Thanks a bunch for the beamshots. But meh, it doesn't look like that much of a difference over the L1P. I think I can afford to sit out this one afterall. Hell, by next year there'll be something twice as bright anyway!

well it is actually a fair bit brighter...almost as bright as P1D CE on primary mode on fresh NiMh batteries but it aint regulated so it dims to about L1P output in less than an hour...and its also got a cut off voltage but my multimeters broken so i cant measure it... it might be able to stay on like the "cree ellys" but u wont be able to turn it on once it gets too low...and the quality of it isnt super... so yeh you can afford to sit out on it lol...and there'll always be somthing brighter n better to take our money away from us...

luchs

Newly Enlightened
Look at the names

what's the difference between U- and T-bin???? what's the better choice?
thanx

Gunner12

Flashaholic
The U bin is the one that is twice as efficient as the Luxeon emitter. The T bin is between the Luxeon and the Seoul U bin. The U bin is the better choice, at least that's what I heard.

timcodes

Newly Enlightened
Yapo said:
well it is actually a fair bit brighter...almost as bright as P1D CE on primary mode on fresh NiMh batteries but it aint regulated so it dims to about L1P output in less than an hour...and its also got a cut off voltage but my multimeters broken so i cant measure it... it might be able to stay on like the "cree ellys" but u wont be able to turn it on once it gets too low...and the quality of it isnt super... so yeh you can afford to sit out on it lol...and there'll always be somthing brighter n better to take our money away from us...

I think it's not that bright, to the naked eye, it may be difficult to see the comparison. On my lightbox, the p1d-ce medium is 2x brighter.

batvette

Newly Enlightened
So I guess this is the thread comparing KD and DX's versions of the same light. Am I right in assuming the DX version has a better bin emitter?
Maybe it was good luck for me KD's ordering system is screwed up.

Following is the email I got from KD when I, as many others, found his ordering system completely inaccessable:
----------------------------------------------------

Thanks for your mail. We are running admirably now : )

Did you place an order,you are welcomed to place orders at www.kaidomain.com just add your interested items in cart and check out.Easy,right?

Let me know if you need any help.

Cheers,

Amy

On 4/11/07, [email protected] <[email protected]> wrote:
-------------------------------------------------
Name: ----
E-mail: ---------@------
Date: 4/11/2007 11:45:17 PM
Time: 11:45:17 PM
I can't get anything on your site to work right. I want to place an order for 4 of your sku1364 Seoul MTE lights, which say "limited quantity" and fear I'll be shut out. My name is ----- -------- address------ ------- anytown USA 11111 email -----@---------
CPF user ---------, Paypal acct ------------@------
I understand you are having trouble with your site, are you still open and shipping through email business?

----------------------------------------
And returning to their site reveals the same waste of time. As you can see I included all info necessary to generate an order through email and asked if it could be done. Easy, right?

If I'm having this much trouble just getting them to take my money in the first place, I wonder what to expect when they have it and I'm waiting for product or service?

(note I mentioned the "I don't want to get shut out"? because this same thing happpened initially on the first run $30 deal on the Rexlight)
---------------------
I think I'm going to load my debit card used for PP purchases in the morning and get them from DX.

Eskimonio

Newly Enlightened
Received 2 units of this today from DX.

One light works flawlessly, the other will not turn off via clickie...using the ABVidLed's workaround by unscrewing the tail cap slightly.

I know Kyle will make it right, but if anyone finds an easy to do permanent workaround, I'm all ears.

Eskimonio

Newly Enlightened
I'm no big wheel around here, and as far as my knowledge of this hobby goes, I'm a neophyte. I own a Maxfire, L0D-CE, Dorcy Metal Gear, Dorcy 3xAAA Super 1 Watt, Brinkmann 3xAAA 3W, a couple of Inova 2xAA and RiverRock 2xAAA along with some Mag products from of old.

It's daytime here in AZ, so I only tested it in my master bathroom which gets very little light with the door closed, and only allows about 2 meters worth of distance.

Overall, I'd say it's an alright light. As has been said before the quality of workmanship and materials is mediocre, and in my opinion a 7 out of 10. Some overspray on threads, some bare spots around the lens at the ring of where the lens and tip of the flashlight meet.

During my informal bathroom test, I noticed it's brighter than my L0D-CE on high, and I'll look forward to checking out the throw tonight. I'm no beam aficionado, but I noticed a nice white hot spot with a little blob of faint yellowing in the center. No artifacts in the hotspot that I could notice, but see my disclaimer above. Spill should be nice, as it looked to be a fairly wide overall beam. I won't pretend to guestimate at lumens #s, because well, I just ain't that qualified.

Aside from my unit that won't turn off via clickie when the tailcap is fully screwed on, I think these are alright lights for my purposes of banging them around while camping, keeping in the glove box, etc.

I agree with the other poster in that the tailcap clickie is definitely something you concentrate on to operate...it requires a very deliberate push to turn on and off -- no accidental turn-ons with this one for sure.

Considering I paid ~ $18 for this thing, I'm plenty pleased provided I can get my issue sorted with my #2 unit. Hell, anytime a package comes from DX it's a good day, right?!?

I just hope with all the controversy surrounding the JetBeam that the two enroute to me bring a smile.

batvette

Newly Enlightened
I assume you mean the Brinkman 3w 3aaa as sold by Target, nylon plastic body?

If so, is the new light any brighter? I have 2 of those brinkman's, this would give a direct comparison. (don't sweat runtime obviously)