Flashlights that accept 1xCR123A or 1xAA

Stream

Enlightened
This thread is really about lights that can use both AA and 123 not either one.

Yes, but the thread title is actually pretty misleading: "Flashlights that accept 1xCR123A or 1xAA". This is why a number posters assume he's talking about one or the other, when he really means both. To add to the confusion, he does not even specify in the OP that he is only looking for lights that take both AA and CR123 cells. However, it can be deduced from reading his list, which only consists of combo lights with optional extender tubes for AA batteries.

AVService

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, but the thread title is actually pretty misleading: "Flashlights that accept 1xCR123A or 1xAA". This is why a number posters assume he's talking about one or the other, when he really means both. To add to the confusion, he does not even specify in the OP that he is only looking for lights that take both AA and CR123 cells. However, it can be deduced from reading his list, which only consists of combo lights with optional extender tubes for AA batteries.
Agreed.

wjv

Enlightened
I was looking for a similar light a while back. the one main downside I discovered was that light that can take multiple battery types with a wide voltage rage, often seem to be not very efficient.

For example:
Gerber Omnivore
- 1xAA 8 lumens for 6:45 hours
- 1xCR123 11 lumens for 4:30 hours

Conversely:
Spark SG5
- 1xAA 8 lumens for 32 hours

EagleTac D25A
- 1xAA 9 lumens for 20 hours

Fenix PD22 (original ver)
- 8 lumen for 97 hours

Though some of them, like the Zebralight SC80 seemto have figured out how to get efficiency from either battery type.

SA Condor

Enlightened
South Carolina and Bolivia, South America
Sad news from Zebralight. I contacted them about an updated SC82 and this was their reply I received today:

"Ticket status: Completed

Department: Sales

Subject: SC80 or SC82

The SC80 was discontinued years ago. We had an SC82 design but without any production plans. With the recent SC5 release, the SC8x is less likely to be continued in the future. The SC5 is designed to be similar to the SC8x in terms of dimensions and performance.

Sincerely,

ZebraLight, Inc.
2908 Story Rd. W
Irving, TX 75038"

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was looking for a similar light a while back. the one main downside I discovered was that light that can take multiple battery types with a wide voltage rage, often seem to be not very efficient.

For example:
Gerber Omnivore
- 1xAA 8 lumens for 6:45 hours
- 1xCR123 11 lumens for 4:30 hours

Conversely:
Spark SG5
- 1xAA 8 lumens for 32 hours

EagleTac D25A
- 1xAA 9 lumens for 20 hours

Fenix PD22 (original ver)
- 8 lumen for 97 hours

Though some of them, like the Zebralight SC80 seemto have figured out how to get efficiency from either battery type.

Excluding the Gerber.... IMHO, most of the efficiency differences are going to be due to "specsmanship" followed by a bit of conservatism.