G&P's newest tactical: 12V miniturbo

Paul_in_Maryland

Flashlight Enthusiast
I heard back from Dan of blackrifles.com. They do indeed stock Digilight xenon lamps. Currently he has in stock two 6V, two 9V, and one 12V, plus two each of the 9V and 12V miniturboheads (with lamp). He'll be stocking more replacement lamp assemblies, and if CPFers need a constant supply of them, he's ready to have them on hand! He didn't mention the price, but the lamps and many more items will be posted on the Web site as time permits.

lexina

Enlightened
sig-in-tx said:

I have this light (the T8). It's different from the A2 in that there is no regulation on the incandescent light. The light from the incandescent is also about 10% less bright than the P60. Other than that, it's a pretty nifty light. My only complaint is that I can't use RCR123s on it since they would blow the 6v bulb. I have come across another version which has the leds mated with a GP90 9v bulb and this WOULD be able to take RCR123s.

Airsoft-armory has the T8 at US$49.
http://www.airsoft-armory.com/Catalog.aspx?Catalogtype=ProductList&Category=Accessories&SubCategory=Optics&Series=Flashlights

lexina

Enlightened
Paul_in_Maryland said:
The only sources I know of for extra lamp assemblies are Digilight USA $20 per lamp assembly plus $8 fixed shipping within the USA) and the TradeDigit eBay store. And the only source for a 9V or 12V miniturbo lamp assembly is Digilight USA--which, happily, will include the 175-lumen lamp. But why spend $38 when all you need is a lamp from the $20 assembly? Besides, you'll be getting another turbohead when you buy the G&P 5W LED module, right? :)

ok, Paul, I managed to remove the lamp from the X12 reflector by unscrewing the base and replacing with a 9V lamp from my GP90. But I noticed that the hole in the X12 reflector was too big (to fit the larger 12v lamp) causing a double ring to appear when I use the 9v lamp. Did you have the same problem when you changed from 12v to 9v lamps?

Looks like I need a separate reflector for the 9V lamp. Do you know where I can get a 9v lamp assembly (bulb plus reflector but minus the bezel) for the mini-turbo head? Digilight seems to sell the whole extender head with lamp, reflector and mini-turbo bezel together. Thanks.

Action

Enlightened
I got my X-12 the other day. Quite an impressive light for the price. It does not feel quite as good in the hand as say my 9P, but the light output for $$ spent makes this light very nice. I would highly recommend it for most people, as its noticeably brighter than a 9P, even a SRTH equipped 9P, and much less expensive.

Paul_in_Maryland

Flashlight Enthusiast
lexina said:
ok, Paul, I managed to remove the lamp from the X12 reflector by unscrewing the base and replacing with a 9V lamp from my GP90. But I noticed that the hole in the X12 reflector was too big (to fit the larger 12v lamp) causing a double ring to appear when I use the 9v lamp. Did you have the same problem when you changed from 12v to 9v lamps?
I believe you've confirmed what I have suspected: The high-pressure-xenon lamps have a slightly different geometry. Specifically, they use longer bulbs.

I think.

I, too, have found that my G90's G90 bulb won't focus properly in the 9V LEDWave or 12V Digilight miniturbo head. But a genuine high-pressure-xenon 175-lumen G&P G90 will.

At least I think that this is the distinction, and not that the 12V bulb is longer (taller) or the bulb provided with a miniturbo head is longer. I simply haven't kept good records. If only G&P would publish more data; I've never seen a high-volume manufacturer keep such a low profile. Digilight USA has told me that the reflector used in their 9V and 12V miniturbo heads is identical (same part number).

I think some answers can be found by studying the photos (scans) in my reviews of the LEDWave Z-3 and RICO Alpha 9.

lexina said:
Looks like I need a separate reflector for the 9V lamp. Do you know where I can get a 9v lamp assembly (bulb plus reflector but minus the bezel) for the mini-turbo head? Digilight seems to sell the whole extender head with lamp, reflector and mini-turbo bezel together. Thanks.
I'm afraid that no one sells the miniturbo lamp assembly without the miniturbo head. At least the price is now $5 lower now that that rifle dealer sells Digilight. Think of it as buying the miniturbo head for $18 and getting a spare 9V lamp assembly for $15.

lexina

Enlightened
Paul_in_Maryland said:
I believe you've confirmed what I have suspected: The high-pressure-xenon lamps have a slightly different geometry. Specifically, they use longer bulbs.

I was comparing a GP90 lamp (which says "High Pressure" on the label) and the stock G12 (non-High Pressure) lamp from the X12. The GP90 is noticeably shorter and thinner than the G12 but I am not sure if the size difference is due to the voltage difference (9V vs 12V) or the fact that one of them is High Pressure and the other is not as I do not have a non-High Pressure GP90 to compare with.

Paul_in_Maryland said:
Digilight USA has told me that the reflector used in their 9V and 12V miniturbo heads is identical (same part number).

I'm afraid that no one sells the miniturbo lamp assembly without the miniturbo head. .

Good thing is, if the reflector used in the 9V and 12V miniturbo heads are identical, I won't need to source for a lamp assembly without the head.

Paul_in_Maryland said:
At least the price is now $5 lower now that that rifle dealer sells Digilight. Think of it as buying the miniturbo head for $18 and getting a spare 9V lamp assembly for $15.

Unfortunately, since your posting appeared, Black Rifles has INCREASED their price for the 9V mini-turbo head with assembly from $30.99 to $36.95 (same as Digilight direct)!

Paul_in_Maryland

Flashlight Enthusiast
As I write, there's a complete G&P 5W miniturbo LED 3x123A flashlight on eBay for about $80 shipped. Add a Digilight 9V xenon lamp and you have a switch-hitting miniturbo 3x123A light for about $108 shipped.

lexina

Enlightened
Paul_in_Maryland said:
As I write, there's a complete G&P 5W miniturbo LED 3x123A flashlight on eBay for about $80 shipped. Add a Digilight 9V xenon lamp and you have a switch-hitting miniturbo 3x123A light for about $108 shipped.

Yup, noticed it on the site too It's an X9 with a 5W mini-turbo head. The same 5W lamp with either a mini-turbo or tactical head is sold at Redwolfairsoft for $54. Am now wondering whether to get this or the Nuwai TM301-X5. No success in finding any reviews on the X9 with 5W mini-turbo yet.

Paul_in_Maryland

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lexina,
Back to the 12V lamp--do you think it would be "safe" (for the bulb and the cells) to run it on two 17500 cells and one 123A primary cell in the X12 body? This combo would be a compromise between "free lumens" and "$6 per hour" lumens. I think the 3V primary cell would ensure that the bulb would not hot flash. What do you think?

I sure miss my 12V G&P lamp; it was the only lamp I've tried that could make a traffic wand glow like a light saber in broad daylight.

lexina

Enlightened
Paul_in_Maryland said:
Lexina,
Back to the 12V lamp--do you think it would be "safe" (for the bulb and the cells) to run it on two 17500 cells and one 123A primary cell in the X12 body? This combo would be a compromise between "free lumens" and "$6 per hour" lumens. I think the 3V primary cell would ensure that the bulb would not hot flash. What do you think?

I sure miss my 12V G&P lamp; it was the only lamp I've tried that could make a traffic wand glow like a light saber in broad daylight.

I recall reading in your review of the Ledwave Z3 that you blew a Digilight 12v lamp doing exactly that. I am also at a loss as to why it happened since the combined voltage should be much less than 12v. Perhaps the next thing to try would be two 3v primary cells and one rechargeable (RCR123/17670/18500) depending on the tube length. Generally though, I avoid mixing cells since it may lead to "reverse charging" if one cell drains off before the rest.

As for my 12v lamp, I am underdriving it on 2 17670s as i am reluctant to put in 4 primary cells!

lexina

Enlightened
Paul,

Just thought of another thing. Have you considered using the new 3V nominal protected rechargeable 123s available from J S Burly's? These are supposed to be direct replacements for the regular 123s. They are kinda expensive (will need 4 of them) but they may be the solution to our 12v-free lumens dilemma.

Paul_in_Maryland

Flashlight Enthusiast
lexina said:
Paul,Just thought of another thing. Have you considered using the new 3V nominal protected rechargeable 123s available from J S Burly's?
Thanks, but if they're protected, I doubt they would illuminate
the G&P 12V lamp. Even my AW 17500 protected cells couldn't. Even if they could, runtime would be marginal. To my thinking, RCR123A cells are for LEDs.

flash99dark

Newly Enlightened
I just got my Z3 Targeter ledwave from Knifeoutlet.com and would like to know where I can get an extra bulb/assembly. I have the turbo head model exactly like Paul's and not the one pictured on the Knifeoutlet website.
I have a Z44 head on order from Lighthound.com and already have A19 plus several types of clickie/non-clickie Surefire tail caps. I also have a few 168s & 150s Pila. I would like to run the 175 lumen with an option to put in the 12v 227 lumen with the A19.
I have tried to follow all of the various posts on this but I am a bit confused as
the exact website and part number to 1. get an extra bulb/lamp for the 9Volt
[mine says L2 on it) 2. get a 12v lamp to use as an option. Thanks ahead William
P.S. I recently sold my Surefire M3 and must say I like the beam better on the Z3. I find it hard to belive that it is only 120L. The M3 had a lot of power but I did not care for the oval beam shape

beakman

Newly Enlightened
Does anybody know if the Ledwave Z-3 miniturbo head will fit on the Ledwave Z-1 Kommando flashlight?

the beakman

Paul_in_Maryland

Flashlight Enthusiast
flash99dark said:
I just got my Z3 Targeter ledwave from Knifeoutlet.com and would like to know where I can get an extra bulb/assembly.
The only source for the 9V miniturbo lamp assembly is Digilight USA or its eBay dealer: $37 plus $8 shipping. If all you want is a spare lamp to screw into your miniturbo reflector, get the Digilight nonturbo lamp assembly ($18 plus shipping from the dealer) or the identical G&P 175-lumen nonturbo high-pressure lamp assembly from TradeDigit's eBay store (about $25 shipped, as I recall). Don't try using the standard G90, 105-lumen lamp in the miniturbo; I think the glass isn't long enough, and besides, a great stochastic reflector like the G&P deserves more lumens.

I have the turbo head model exactly like Paul's and not the one pictured on the Knifeoutlet website.
Yes, there are two varieties: Only one is roll-resistant. Likewise, there are two varieties of the tailcap: only one is oversize and roll-resistant. It's maddening, isn't it?

I have a Z44 head on order from Lighthound.com and already have A19 plus several types of clickie/non-clickie Surefire tail caps. I also have a few 168s & 150s Pila. I would like to run the 175 lumen with an option to put in the 12v 227 lumen with the A19.
I have tried to follow all of the various posts on this but I am a bit confused as the exact website and part number to 1. get an extra bulb/lamp for the 9Volt [mine says L2 on it) 2. get a 12v lamp to use as an option. Thanks ahead William[
You and I have pretty much the exact same set of options, William. In my commuting bag is a Z-3 with an A19 extender, Z44 head, Z48 tailcap, and Dililght 9V tactical (small) lamp assembly.

As I've written in this thread and elsewhere, I've lost faith in the 227-lumen/Pila solution. I've hot-flashed all three of my 12V lamps this way, although I did get four good cycles out of my final set. Four 3.0V lithium-ions can't power this 1.8A lamp; the 12V won't even work with thre eAW 17500 cells. The only CPFer who's delighted with his G&P 12V lamp is using three unprotected RCR123A cells. Evidently these cells will suffer enough voltage sag to keep the voltage safely below 12V.

P.S. I recently sold my Surefire M3 and must say I like the beam better on the Z3. I find it hard to belive that it is only 120L. The M3 had a lot of power but I did not care for the oval beam shape
I'm convinced that the 120-lumen lamp that comes on the LEDWave Z-3 is identical to the 175-lumen lamp that comes on the Digilight T9, Ultrafire G90, and G&P 9S miniturbos. It's maddening that the 105-lumen, 120-, and 175-lumen lamps are all labeled G90. The Z-3's beam is brilliant white, a color matched only by my RICO Alpha 9. Its tiny hot spot will outthrow a Streamlight TL-3. The 227-lumen 12V lamp essentially matches the Surefire P91 in total output; the P91's beam is more perfect in shape and uniformity but the G&P beam is about 20 percent wider--so wide that you won't be tempted to use a difffuser.

Paul_in_Maryland

Flashlight Enthusiast
BlackRifles.com has cut the prices on their Digilight USA T9 and T12 to $60 and $80 plus $7.70 US shipping. So I bought the T9 to replace my recently sold Wolf Eyes 9MX.

I was hoping to standardize on 168 cells, but I have four sets of 150S and 17500 cells and no light to put them in. Finally I'll have a second Surefire-P-compatible body to directly compare various 9V lamp assemblies and heads.

Paul_in_Maryland

Flashlight Enthusiast
flash99dark said:
I just got my Z3 Targeter ledwave from Knifeoutlet.com and would like to know where I can get an extra bulb/assembly.
The lamp assembly alone would cost you $26 to $28 shipped from Blackrifles.com or DigilightUSA.com. TradeDigit sells it for $16 shipped, but how about ordering their entire Ultrafire Duo 175-lumen flashlight, with a glass lens, for $32 shipped? Then tell us how you like the Ultrafire...and whether it can accept your Z-3's head or tailcap.

Last edited: