Gore-Tex or Wool?

raggie33

*the raggedier*
i have some army blankets from around 1944 , i belive there wool i love em there so worm.and they lasted a long time they was purcahesed at garage sale . i wanna try goretex some day

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
capnal said:
I have to say I lean more towards wool. I have lots of jackets and outerwear. I have heavy cotton canvas such as the Walls and Carhart variety, but I also have things like Pendelton wool shirts and military Navy Pea coats. In fact, Friday I am picking up my new Filson style 82 double Mackinaw Coat, in forest green color.
83H.jpg

I like the all weather performance of GoreTex, like if I think I might get rained on, for example, and I even bought a black jacket late last winter. However, for warmth, I grab the wool first thing. Filson says, "Because the Double Mack is wool, you'll stay warm even when wet, and you won't get overheated even during strenuous work." But I just don't like the idea of getting my wool coat all wet. I have also used Filson's garment wax to treat heavy canvas Walls coats to give them that same water repellency.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yup! Good ole Filson Double Mac. I've had one for almost 14 years now, and I used to wear it almost every day for 2/3 of the year. I am a big fan of Filson products, but the simple fact of the matter is that my Patagonia R3 regulator jacket, which is made from Polartec fleece, is superior to my Filson Double Mac in most ways. It is lighter and thinner and provides the same insulation value, and it is significantly more breathable, but also less wind-resistant to the same degree. And let me tell you: I have worn a completely soaked Filson Double Mac and it was NOT fun! It may have provided some insulating value, but it was not a lot, and it stayed wet and stayed wet. It's almost impossible to drive away all that moisture with your body heat. Plus, if you think it weighs alot dry (it does!) try it soaking wet. It is incredibly heavy.

My R3 jacket on the other hand is still not that heavy soaking wet and if you simply keep walking, hiking, or climbing, your body heat alone will dry the fleece.

One way the Filson is superior, though, is in it's toughness: walk through the underbrush and thorns and branches all you want; the Filson will be just fine. I'd be much more careful in a fleece jacket.

As for Gore-Tex, it isn't very breathable, but still, I much prefer it--or Marmot's "Membrain" which I own (cheaper)--to the totally non-breathable rain coats. Still, I agree that large scale ventilation through pit-vents and pockets and so on is the only real way to keep from building up sweat.

But what I'm most excited about is getting a soft-shell with Scholler Dryskin 3XCR (or whatever those alpha-numerals are). I'm thinking of getting a Cloudveil Serendipity Jacket.

E

EchoSierraTwo

I also use a North Face Prophecy Shell for my outdoor workouts. AWESOME! WInd and water protection.

cobb

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree with you guys. I use to wear insulated coveralls while in high school and afterwards as they kept my whole body warm and if i got too warm I could just take off the top and tie it around my waste. Sometimes I would just wear my underwear and a t shirt under them and they were great in cold places like a shop, deliverying papers or outside. Same with rain, although they tend to absorbe it. TO regulate the temp I just zipped it, then tied it around my waste to removing them all thgether.

Anyway, I out grew them and went the gortex route. I got a jacket and pants from cabelas with the 3m thinsulate. Problem is, its not that rain resistant. IT will absorbe the water. Second it doesnt keep me warm. If i wear it outside to inside at first I start to warm up, then it seems to level off. Unlike other jackets that I have to take off cause them are too warm to wear indoors, the gortex seems to vanish as far as warmth is concerned. Sure, if I go backoutside for a smoke break or between buildings I dont get cold, but I like that warmth feeling.

So, I agree with the wool idea. I have a wool jacket like and a cabelas vest that is stuffed with feathers from some bird.

E

EchoSierraTwo

Gotta try some wool. But I believe the syn materials prove to be better in the long run. Am I wrong?

Frangible

Enlightened
How about polyester? Dries very quickly, moisture wicking (especially the Coolmax variant) and can be made very wind/water resistant. Can also be made into polyester fleece for warmth.

E

EchoSierraTwo

Yes, thats what Im talking about! Synthetics baby! Silk even. Silk is a WONDERFUL product. Warm when you need it to be and cool when you dont.

smokinbasser

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wore polypropelene long johns under my uniform as a field service tech, I had to work out side and inside both.I always carried holofill insulated coveralls for the all day outside jobs, the Poly wicked moisture away from my skin and the cooling of that moisture is what chills a person. If you can stay dry at the skin level the cold is easier to bear.

Latest posts