HDS/Ra Clicky & Rotary Serial Number Registry! (Part 2)

SaturnNyne

Enlightened
Sorry for the slow response to some of you; I had a bit of a senior moment and didn't realize I hadn't already stopped in here, and then my schedule suddenly exploded.

HDS 140 Tactical Clicky 21336.
I know I'm repeating myself, but I'm sorry to see how few CPF-ers are buying the 140s. I do think, based on use and runtime testing, that the 140 is perhaps the best balanced Clicky, as far as power and efficiency go.

Bezel reads "HDS Twisty #1165"
85tr
Would you mind adding me to the registrar?
I'd be happy to! Except I'm not the Twisty registrar. But I'll swing by the other registry and add your info to the thread so it's ready to go whenever that registry does get updated. I spoke to the Twisty registrar about it yesterday, so the idea of coming back and getting his registry back up to speed has been planted in his head.

twisty 1403,rotary 23351,170 tac 15269. I'm also completely envious of all of you with more HDS lights then me,esantana, NICE collection!
Got you, except for the Twisty, which has a registry of its own. As mentioned above, I'll add your info to the proper thread, and hopefully it'll get updated sometime soon. And definitely don't worry about not having more lights, if you've got more HDSes than hands, you're doing just fine!

Some emitters have a slight edge in brightness, some lights have a tidier beam profile but all the ones I've seen have been first class....
Some emitters are more efficient than others, but if one light is truly putting out more lumens than another from the same tier, one of them is faulty (unless one has a sapphire lens, but that shouldn't be a visible difference). What you seem to be describing is most likely the result of a calibration error. Does that happen? Maybe, but I've only seen really obvious calibration problems at the very lowest levels on lights built before Henry upgraded his calibrator. The most obvious apparent differences in output that I've seen come from variations in the beam and tint.

Latest HCRI, #12928.
HDS HCRI Clicky (older style) #15526
Thanks to both of you for specifying generation. Ever since the engraving error lights started rolling in, ambiguous registrations of lights in the 12-15,xxx range have been a bit of a headache.
HDS Rotary #22634
HDS HCRI Clicky (older style) #15526
The Chc was purchased from Bodhran and the 200R from NocturnalKnives, correct?

I've just been looking at the list & i realised my Rotary wasn't on it so here it is
Rotary 200 SN 23478
Huh? Actually it's already right there! \/ :)
davyro.....................200RS.......#23478

nbp

Flashaholic
HighlanderNorth said:
Whats the difference between a Ra and any other HDS light?

Ra is a retired badge from a couple years ago. Now Henry has gone back to the HDS name again.

SaturnNyne

Enlightened
My 170E arrived today, from the new batched going out, SN 23719
Jalal: I noticed in the HDS thread that your 170 has an XPG emitter—this is news to me! Since the XPG models have a wider beam, they can no longer be referred to as a 170Cn, so I have created a 170C category for them and switched you over to it.

If anyone else has registered a 170C with an XPG, please let me know!

I've had my 120 Executive Clicky for awhile, now. S/N is 22885. Just today I swapped the emitter for a Nichia 219.
Nice! I'd be interested to see any photos/beamshots you'd care to share.

Smokescreen... EDC 120 Executive Clicky... S/N 13163
Just to be certain, this is a new second generation model, right? That's what I've put you down as.

Whats the difference between a Ra and any other HDS light?
Ra is a retired badge from a couple years ago. Now Henry has gone back to the HDS name again.
Thanks for fielding that one, nbp. :thumbsup:

As stated, the only real difference is age, and perhaps origin. Ra was a marketing name that HDS briefly chose to sell its lights under, I guess because it was supposedly catchier to use a word rather than an initialism, or the full HDS Systems, which sounds kind of like a computer company. The Ra name was applied to the Twisty and the early first generation Clicky before being phased out in favor of a return to the HDS branding. I suspect the Ra name might have been canned mostly because so many customers for some reason pronounce it RA, defeating some of the purpose of it. Interestingly (or maybe not), the Ra branding was used in the US but not on lights sold in Japan, or at least not on Japanese Clickies. If you come across an HDS Clicky with a low serial, it was imported.

HighlanderNorth

Flashlight Enthusiast
Jalal: I noticed in the HDS thread that your 170 has an XPG emitter—this is news to me! Since the XPG models have a wider beam, they can no longer be referred to as a 170Cn, so I have created a 170C category for them and switched you over to it.

If anyone else has registered a 170C with an XPG, please let me know!

Nice! I'd be interested to see any photos/beamshots you'd care to share.

Just to be certain, this is a new second generation model, right? That's what I've put you down as.

Thanks for fielding that one, nbp. :thumbsup:

As stated, the only real difference is age, and perhaps origin. Ra was a marketing name that HDS briefly chose to sell its lights under, I guess because it was supposedly catchier to use a word rather than an initialism, or the full HDS Systems, which sounds kind of like a computer company. The Ra name was applied to the Twisty and the early first generation Clicky before being phased out in favor of a return to the HDS branding. I suspect the Ra name might have been canned mostly because so many customers for some reason pronounce it RA, defeating some of the purpose of it. Interestingly (or maybe not), the Ra branding was used in the US but not on lights sold in Japan, or at least not on Japanese Clickies. If you come across an HDS Clicky with a low serial, it was imported.

Well, I heard that in Egypt they called it the Amun Ra, in Greece they called it the Zeus, and in the Arab world they called it the Allah... Supposedly in USA, they were originally going to call it the Jesus, but decided on Ra. I could be wrong though......

Greighps

Newly Enlightened
Glad to finally be able to add my name to the list.
black bezel, raised clicky, 120 Tactical. SN 26141
black bezel, raised clickt, 200 Custom. SN 25417

Last edited:

ironhorse

Enlightened
just received from Unique Titanium 200 Rotary silver bezel 12831.
My older version (older tbread type) 120 clicky has a higher serial number 15585. Go figure.

Mr Painite

Newly Enlightened
My older version (older tbread type) 120 clicky has a higher serial number 15585. Go figure.

got my EDC 200 LE (black bezel, raised button) from Unique Titanium today, SN 25493

whateatsrabbits

Newly Enlightened
Re: Ra Clicky Serial Number Registry! (Part 2)

I just picked it up LNIB on another forum.
whateatsrabbits..........170Cn.......#23211

SaturnNyne

Enlightened

Well, I heard that in Egypt they called it the Amun Ra, in Greece they called it the Zeus, and in the Arab world they called it the Allah... Supposedly in USA, they were originally going to call it the Jesus, but decided on Ra. I could be wrong though......
Haha, thanks for that. Reminds me of an incident back in '08 when the dba marketing name change was announced. HDS fans were generally not very enthusiastic about it but more or less accepting... but one guy actually took serious offense to it. It was one of the regulars who had been participating in the development thread enthusiastically, but when the Ra name was announced, he said he'd never buy an HDS product again because the new name was acknowledging a false deity or some such nonsense. And I'm not sure I ever saw him again after that. Some people eh. What do you suppose he does about the days of the week? Makes up his own replacement names? :laughing:

Mine just arrived 140 edc clicky sn 13277 thank you.
And thank you. I've listed you with the current generation of lights, but your serial is from the range that could go either way, so let me know if it's actually an old one you bought used.

The reason for that is explained in the note just above the second generation Clicky & Rotary list.

got my EDC 200 LE (black bezel, raised button) from Unique Titanium today, SN 25493
Congratulations, you're the first to register an LE. I've added in the xxxCL models in the count list.

I just picked it up LNIB on another forum.
whateatsrabbits..........170Cn.......#23211
Are you sure it's a Cn? I'm not suggesting it isn't, it probably is, but I'm wondering if you're certain that it is, because somewhere around that serial the 170s were switched over to XPG emitters.

#16081 HDS. 170T. lost at local market - The chances of getting it back NIL.
Ughhhh, so sorry to hear that. :( On the bright side, at least you've got another two to fall back on right? How does one lose a light in the market though; any story there?

davidwestonh

Newly Enlightened

Just purchased HDS cerokoted custom.
maybe I missed hearing about unserialized lights.
or might the serial number be filled in?

Have it programmed button lock, auto turn off, and locator flash.
will have to remember to use the three clicks from off before leaving the house.

And she is orange, now what should I name her?

Sparky's Magic

Enlightened

Haha, thanks for that. Reminds me of an incident back in '08 when the dba marketing name change was announced. HDS fans were generally not very enthusiastic about it but more or less accepting... but one guy actually took serious offense to it. It was one of the regulars who had been participating in the development thread enthusiastically, but when the Ra name was announced, he said he'd never buy an HDS product again because the new name was acknowledging a false deity or some such nonsense. And I'm not sure I ever saw him again after that. Some people eh. What do you suppose he does about the days of the week? Makes up his own replacement names? :laughing:

And thank you. I've listed you with the current generation of lights, but your serial is from the range that could go either way, so let me know if it's actually an old one you bought used.

The reason for that is explained in the note just above the second generation Clicky & Rotary list.

Congratulations, you're the first to register an LE. I've added in the xxxCL models in the count list.

Are you sure it's a Cn? I'm not suggesting it isn't, it probably is, but I'm wondering if you're certain that it is, because somewhere around that serial the 170s were switched over to XPG emitters.

[Ughhhh, so sorry to hear that. :( On the bright side, at least you've got another two to fall back on right? How does one lose a light in the market though; any story there?]

I put it in a pocket that had a hole in it after I put some stuff back. I went back but it had disappeared. It was my least favored HDS light but 'just the ticket' for poking about in the dark early.:(