HDS Systems #23

Fuchshp

Flashlight Enthusiast
I made a belt pouch for my HDS Rotary NB35 that arrived ~2 Weeks ago. The pouch is not perfect but useful. The fabric is antique and hand woven on a narrow loom somewhere in rural China. The lining is Cupro and the button is olive wood.

HDS_pouch_1.jpg

HDS_Pouch_2.jpg

thermal guy

Flashaholic
So, it looks like I was wrong again, on the bezel of the Twisty only Twisty is written, without indicating the model :( Alternatively, if you do a factory reset, then if there was red there, then it should appear
The red mode is only on the golden dragon led. I think that's what it was called. You can see it clearly when you look at the center led. There is another very small one to the side of it. That's where the red comes from. I forgot all the details but it was a feature on that led to test for direction of the current? And Henry found a way to incorporate it to stay on. I have been out of the HDS world for awhile so don't quote me on this😁

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
colour/warmth selector
would require at least 2 LEDs of different Color Temperatures that could be blended together. Anduril calls this feature Tint Ramping (its mixes 2 channels).

I have an Anduril light, an Emisar D2 with a white and a red led.. here you can see the Tint Ramping feature (which I dont use, only switch from one to the other in this case), but for sake of example:

If the light had a warm white and a cool white LED, they could be blended together to produce neutral white.

here is an example of 2700K 219b mixed w 4500K 219b

Last edited:

LRJ88

Enlightened
would require at least 2 LEDs of different Color Temperatures that could be blended together. Anduril calls this feature Tint Ramping (its mixes 2 channels).

I have an Anduril light, an Emisar D2 with a white and a red led.. here you can see the Tint Ramping feature (which I dont use, only switch from one to the other in this case), but for sake of example:

View attachment 59501

If the light had a warm white and a cool white LED, they could be blended together to produce neutral white.

here is an example of 2700K 219b mixed w 4500K 219b

I already own several Emisars with the dual channel feature, been having my eyes on a triple channel one as well. I'm aware that you'd need more than one die to accomplish it, having 4 LEDs with each tuned to a certain part of the spectrum to get as even of a gradient over the spectrum would be pretty much perfect but that'd require a fair bit of effort not just to program them all in a sufficient manner but also fitting the new hardware and not filling the beam with artifacts.

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
I already own several Emisars with the dual channel feature
I do agree the HDS Rotary dial would be a very intuitive interface for tint mixing, if the host could support dual channels.

Last edited:

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
not available anymore
true
closest to 4000K atm, would be to dedome the 519a they offer. It would end up at about 4000K and look something like this (when compared to sw45k, which is still available in a more subtle degree of pink tint than pictured):
Bklnmo3.jpg

Mr. LED

Enlightened
true
closest to 4000K atm, would be to dedome the 519a they offer. It would end up at about 4000K and look something like this (when compared to sw45k, which is still available in a more subtle degree of pink tint than pictured):
View attachment 59538

How would the beam look like, compared to the 219b? I thought about doing that, but I'm afraid it'll be too throwy.

ilikeguns40

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tint will be nice, beam will be more throwy. Also to note, Dedoming sometimes will cause artifacts in the hotspot, depending on reflector used some may be worse than others. As long as your not white wall hunting, you won't notice.

Also, Dedoming the LED will void the warranty. I would leave it alone.

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
Dedoming sometimes will cause artifacts in the hotspot
glad you mention that dedoming creates artifacts in the hotspot, it is true

dedoming 519a loses the perfectly round hotspot perimeter. I can definitely tell the difference, although unable to capture it in these photos

219b installed by HDS:
pOs0mUF.jpg

DeDomed 519a, Not installed by HDS:
FOjvqaE.jpg

this LED was installed by a modder, the host was an older 140 model. I agree changing the LED on an HDS, voids driver warranty. Although the LED swap did not actually damage this driver, it IS possible to damage an HDS driver during a private LED swap.

Also agree dedoming an HDS installed LED, potentially voids LED warranty. Although in this case, the LED was not damaged by dedoming. The risk belongs to the person making the modification, dont expect HDS to fix it if you screw up or dont like the results.

HDS will not swap LEDs.. They only do full head replacement, IF the light develops a problem covered by warranty.

I retract my suggestion to consider dedoming 519a. I would dedome my own light, but cannot recommend it to people concerned about warranty.

Most HDS owners are not comfortable with any non factory HDS modifications, and dedoming would potentially lower the resale value.

Last edited:
Asking the legacy HDS gurus for an ID on this Executive. Driver side has a green sticker, so I take it as a 120 lumen model. Any info on the emitter just by looking at the photo? Ideas on resale value for a fair condition Executive with this setup?

IMG_2695.jpeg

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
Asking the legacy HDS gurus for an ID on this Executive. Driver side has a green sticker, so I take it as a 120 lumen model. Any info on the emitter just by looking at the photo? Ideas on resale value for a fair condition Executive with this setup?

View attachment 60355
I believe that is an XP-G, and iirc HDS offered both a 6200K Low CRI and a 3200K High CRI. You can probably guess which one it is by looking at the color temperature of the beam.

here is an ID chart for various LEDs, that includes a photo of the XP-G

LEDphile

Enlightened
I believe that is an XP-G, and iirc HDS offered both a 6200K Low CRI and a 3200K High CRI. You can probably guess which one it is by looking at the color temperature of the beam.

here is an ID chart for various LEDs, that includes a photo of the XP-G
That die looks too small to be an XP-G to my eye. I would have guessed an XP-E LED