HDS Systems EDC #14

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lighteous

Enlightened
Lighteous, did you order your rotary directly from HDS? If so, it appears that you and gunnerdog may be really lucky, as I ordered my rotary from HDS on April 9 and I still haven't received it.

Yes, I placed my order directly with HDS on its website. I ordered the model with the silver bezel and flush button. Sorry that you haven't received yours yet. I suggest sending Henry an e-mail inquiry. He's very good about responding.

00Moonshine

Newly Enlightened
Yes, I placed my order directly with HDS on its website. I ordered the model with the silver bezel and flush button. Sorry that you haven't received yours yet. I suggest sending Henry an e-mail inquiry. He's very good about responding.

Mine arrived today. Worth the wait.

bmcgators98

Enlightened
My new Rotary arrived today. I had sold my other two HDS lights a few months ago so it is nice to have one again. First impressions are very good, fit and finish is nice, tint is a nice pure white, beam is great, no rings. One thing that I missed was the really low low. I also think that the addition of the rotary make this a very useful UI, access to rotary setting, high, and med. I will probably leave the rotary on low. One thought, has anyone had any problem with sand or dirt getting into the rotary and grinding? It looks to be pretty tight and greased well but if you dropped in sand it maybe an issue, maybe not.

I waited to place my order with one of the dealer so I knew they would be in stock when I ordered. I ordered mine on Friday and got it today.

manitoe

Newly Enlightened
My Rotary arrived today as well, and I'm very pleased with it. This being my 4th HDS I kinda knew what to expect quality wise, but I was still amazed by how solid the rotating tailcap felt. The anodizing is perfect as well, not a single spec of missing ano as far as I can tell. The LED is dead-on center, and the tint is pure white. It's even whiter than my 140GT, which surprised me.

I was a little worried about the ringy beamshots posted here, but mine doesn't look anything like that. Maybe it's less obvious in person vs. on a picture, I don't know. When shining on a white wall and looking very closely, I detect a VERY subtle difference in brightness towards the outer edge of the spill, which might be called a "ring", but it's much less pronounced than in the pictures I see here. But I don't often shine my HDS lights on walls, and when in "real-world" use, I can't see it at all, even when I'm looking for it.

Needless to say I'm going to EDC the Rotary for the weeks/months to come, and it will be interesting to see how the programming combined with the Rotary UI suits me in daily use. For now, I'm leaving it on default.

bmcgators98

Enlightened
I got to take the new Rotary out last night to walk the dog. Wow it is a lot brighter that I expected, I don't have my 170 anymore but I can tell you I like the 200 better. The beam is outstanding. No rings and a great combination of both throw and flood. I brought a few other lights just to compare, and I think the HDS is a lot brighter than advertized, if I had to guess based on the others I have I would say 250 – 275 Lumens. In real world applications, I think that this is one of the nicest beams I have seen, just wish I could have gotten it in a "warm tint" Maybe I will get it modded after a while to a warm.

the.Mtn.Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice to hear that the latest Rotaries don't have the ringy beam. Is it possible that Henry made some changes to the lights?

al93535

Newly Enlightened
The more I use my HDS 170, the more I love it!! The beam is absolutely gorgeous, and in my opinion is perfect! The electronics, and durability are outstanding. I'm glad I was able to get the golden dragon LED!

Brasso

Flashlight Enthusiast
The more I use my HDS 170, the more I love it!! The beam is absolutely gorgeous, and in my opinion is perfect! The electronics, and durability are outstanding. I'm glad I was able to get the golden dragon LED!

I'm thinking I'd opt for the 170 over the xpg also, but I'm waiting to see what the new HIgh CRI is going to be first. I'm hoping it's the xpg, which sounds weird considering what I just said, but that High CRI xpg is so nice.

Last edited:

woodentsick

Enlightened
I'm thinking I'd opt for the 170 over the xpg also, but I'm waiting to see what the new HIgh CRI is going to be first. I'm hoping it's the xpg, which sounds weird considering what I just said, but that High CRI xpg is so nice.

I think Craig mentioned in the Dealer's Corner that the HCRI's were gonna use the XP-G's, which is good news for me because I much prefer its floody beam over the Osram GDP's tight, throwy beam.

the.Mtn.Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
About the only reason I visit this thread anymore is for news about the high CRI Rotary.

Mtbmurf

Newly Enlightened
Re: moodoo clip bezel up on rotary

I tried that on my 120 when i couldnt get my tailcap off.... It KILLS the beam... And i think it hurts the water tightness...im a clip guy and that is the Only reason i dont have a rotary..

Status
Not open for further replies.