HDS Systems EDC # 15

Status
Not open for further replies.

TyJo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Seems that Henry has changed the vender for the reflector in October. I've orderd a replacement for the reflector of my Rotary at the end of september and had to wait for a month to be dispatched... I was told by henry that the reason for late dispatch is due to the change of the vender for the reflector.
I got the new ones about a week ago and the beam shape has totally changed fm the original ones, which showed a big chocolate donut in the spill. Now the shape is almost like the T200 in the mentioned picture above.
If you don't mind, how much did the new reflector cost? I think the beam of the rotary is fine, but I might consider a new reflector if it is reasonably priced and improves the beam profile.

maisaac

Newly Enlightened
If you don't mind, how much did the new reflector cost?
It was $19. plus shipping and still the same in the accessory page of official HDS Systems homepage. The donut didn't bother me at real use but I dropped the oily o-ring into the reflector...

having difficulty to take a picture by low dynamic range of iPhone but hope this will help a bit. please do not pay attention to the tint, since white ballance is not adjusted. only 10 cm away fm the beige wall with low brightness.
7d1e0521-53a4-9bfe.jpg

LGT

Enlightened
My 200 rotary, presets set from low to high, while turned on in low level then press and hold, then released, has stayed in high output. Doesn't happen all the time, but it infrequently occurs Anybody else see this? It's only after a ten second hold when this happens.

nutcracker

Newly Enlightened
I turned the light on (mode B). It is rotary and set to a low level. Then I hold burst as you said for more than 10 sec. (~12 sec) and on releasing the button it goes back to preset B normally.
Made this 3 times and worked every time.

TyJo

Flashlight Enthusiast
My 200 rotary, presets set from low to high, while turned on in low level then press and hold, then released, has stayed in high output. Doesn't happen all the time, but it infrequently occurs Anybody else see this? It's only after a ten second hold when this happens.
If you do the press hold soon after the click it will register as a "click, press hold" and go to mode A and stay there, a pause is required after the click so that the "press hold" registers correctly and functions as momentary.

duro

Enlightened
I noticed the threads are getting very dirty on my new hds light. Mostly because certain parts are painted black and it's beginning to wear. I take it HDS doesn't rely on this part of the light to complete a circuit?

AZPops

Flashlight Enthusiast
It was $19. plus shipping and still the same in the accessory page of official HDS Systems homepage. The donut didn't bother me at real use but I dropped the oily o-ring into the reflector...

having difficulty to take a picture by low dynamic range of iPhone but hope this will help a bit. please do not pay attention to the tint, since white ballance is not adjusted. only 10 cm away fm the beige wall with low brightness.
7d1e0521-53a4-9bfe.jpg

So does this mean if I purchase a light from a online distributor I'll more then likely purchase a light with the old reflector? I ask this because although I'd like to order my light directly from HDS like I did my T170. It would be great to avoid having to pay the extra in sales tax and shipping ($30 plus bucks per light extra).

duro

Enlightened
Why are there holes in hds lights for the deep carry pocket clip, when the deep carry pocket clip is no longer being sold??

TyJo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I noticed the threads are getting very dirty on my new hds light. Mostly because certain parts are painted black and it's beginning to wear. I take it HDS doesn't rely on this part of the light to complete a circuit?
All of my lights have this "dirty" appearance eventually but it does not affect the function of any of my lights (I use Super-Lube). Depending on the amount of usage I clean and lube my lights at regular intervals. If one of my lights acts up I clean it with isopropyl (rubbing) alcohol and reapply the lube. I recommend wiping the signal wire occasionally and doing a full clean and lube from time to time.

So does this mean if I purchase a light from a online distributor I'll more then likely purchase a light with the old reflector? I ask this because although I'd like to order my light directly from HDS like I did my T170. It would be great to avoid having to pay the extra in sales tax and shipping ($30 plus bucks per light extra).
This would probably be a good question for Henry and/or the dealer that you purchase your light from. The reflectors could be "identical" but variations could exist due to manufacturing tolerances from vendors. Such a specific question is usually best answered from the man himself.
Why are there holes in hds lights for the deep carry pocket clip, when the deep carry pocket clip is no longer being sold??
The current lights are sold without the holes. The light posted recently had the holes tapped by turbodog, as a user modification, while utilizing an old style clip (I'm unsure if they are still available from dealers). The old models with the holes from the factory are not compatible with the new models (due to different threads).

Last edited:

duro

Enlightened
I gotcha. I bought a new cerakoted 170 tactical off the marketplace for 160. I guess it's the older one, with the older style threads. Kind of sucks because it's a legacy product apparently. I suppose I should of done my homework.

Do you know if the holes in the light impacts the water proof ability of this light?

TyJo

Flashlight Enthusiast
From my understanding, those holes have no impact whatsoever on the water resistance. You could probably sell the light for a minimal loss on the marketplace if you want.

nbp

Flashaholic
I gotcha. I bought a new cerakoted 170 tactical off the marketplace for 160. I guess it's the older one, with the older style threads. Kind of sucks because it's a legacy product apparently. I suppose I should of done my homework.

Do you know if the holes in the light impacts the water proof ability of this light?

Nothing wrong with the older Legacy style, and in my opinion, they should have kept the holes anyways so proper clips could be reattached. :shrug:

maisaac

Newly Enlightened
So does this mean if I purchase a light from a online distributor I'll more then likely purchase a light with the old reflector?

I can't answer to your question, since I do not know how the batch is controlled by distributer nor builder, Sorry. (Thanx to Tyjo in #692)
All I can say is that the reflector I've received at the beginning of Nov.
doesn't show the dark ring in the spill.

Howerver, please note that the original (with dark ring) did not affect the acutal use at all. At least, the dark ring was within my torelance and I don't realize it unless I hunt the wall or try to find it at outside use, which is unrealistic while walking or doing something else.

I realized that my most concern is the color/tint, which depends on the CCT and CRI of the emitter, but this is totlly another story.

AZPops

Flashlight Enthusiast
I realized that my most concern is the color/tint, which depends on the CCT and CRI of the emitter, but this is totlly another story.

Thanks for both your and TyJo's responses! Besides the reflector, I did send the following question to Henry regarding beam profiles;

Hi Henry,

Quick question, is the beam pattern the same between the EDC Tactical 200 and the Rotary? The reason for asking is, I'm looking at adding another HDS to my rotation, and presently on the fence between the two. When I asked this question in CPF's HDS thread number 15, one of the guys "bondr006" posted photos of both the 200T and Rotary having different style reflectors and beam patterns.

Here's a link to the thread, see "bondr006" post #639: (provided the link to the post/photos)

Since the email was sent on Saturday evening, I anticipate a reply soon. However, like yourself this time around, I would like to find one that doesn't have a green tint like my T170. It's not too bad, but it's there which I was surprised since the GD emiter is sold as a cool tint (?). In my present situation (and no I'm not wall hunting if you're thinking in that direction), the green is constently in front of me since I'm in a property that has many tight areas, with (of all things) large white flat surfaces! ... :ohgeez:

So this time I don't think I'll compromise in this regards.

Ok, I shut up now!

Thanks again!

Last edited:

duro

Enlightened
Nothing wrong with the older Legacy style, and in my opinion, they should have kept the holes anyways so proper clips could be reattached. :shrug:

There would be nothing wrong with it, if Henry continued to sell legacy parts for the older style ra clicky. I don't think it's fair to no longer support the lights without acme threads considering they are still in abundance. It would be nice to have a 17670 compartment, or aa compartment, and also a better pocket clip, --the original deep carry.

I really like the light, but am not liking the fact that I can't purchase accessories for it from hds systems. What happens if I need a new battery compartment, or for some strange reason need a new reflector? Am I out of luck because Henry decided to change to acme threads and no longer support the thousands of other lights out there?

Not a good way to run a business in my opinion.

shane45_1911

Enlightened
Not a good way to run a business in my opinion.

It's the perfect way to run a (specialized) business, IMO. Do you expect him to keep a limitless supply of spare parts on hand to support previous versions? That is silly. All that would do is add a price hike to EXISTING models to support non-current inventory - some of which may or may not ever be sold.

Technology changes. But I am still writing Ford Motor Company a letter asking why I can't get a "Door Assembly, Right Hand" for my Model T. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.