HDS Systems EDC # 16

Status
Not open for further replies.

the.Mtn.Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
Whenever I change batteries in my HDS, I turn the light on before unscrewing the head. That forces a soft-reset when you put it back together and ensures that the proper battery type is always detected. If you're not changing battery types then it's probably unnecessary, but I do it anyway.

Nick_S

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the reply Sean, it sounds as if the 200 lumen model with more flood would suit me best.

Nick

Hello Nick
there are different emitters used in the 200-170 to the 140-120.Check out some of the going gear youtube product info to see the different outputs and beam patterns.I think the 200 and 170 have XPG-? and the 140-120 have the golden dragon emitters so the 140-120 should have a more intense hotspot less floody beam pattern.Great choice in lights.

smarkum

Enlightened
Home of the Jayhawks - Rock Chalk Jayhawk GO KU!
I love my Rotary . . . from the last batch. . .

97060852.jpg

AZPops

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the reply Sean, it sounds as if the 200 lumen model with more flood would suit me best.

Nick

Left: 170T GDP Right: Rotary XPG

CIMG2113.jpg

CIMG2111.jpg

170T GDP @ 30 yards (NOTE: the building behind the fence is another 25/30 yards);

CIMG2109.jpg

Rotary XPG @ 30 yards (NOTE: the building behind the fence is another 25/30 yards);

CIMG2108.jpg

Last edited:

DrewDT

Newly Enlightened
You guys should be on Henry's marketing staff. Thanks to all of you, I made just made the plunge and ordered a custom clicky 200 lumens. I hope the supply chain issues have been corrected. I will certainly report back here when I receive my order.

TheExpert

Newly Enlightened
hey guys, I've been away for awhile has anyone heard anything about pocket clips for the rotaries yet?

smokelaw1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Last I heard (about 6 weeks) was that it still could be a bit of time away. Henry is sending me a Rotary 200 to replace a light with a warranty issue. The reason I hadn't bought a Rotary yet was the lack of a clip. This light will probably mostly serve nightstand duty until the clip becomes a reality. With my place in line, though, who knows how much time will actually pass between me getting the Rotary and the clip?

Drill & tap screw holes, or sit and stew. So far no news I know of.

I am not confident/competent doing this to a new light. Anyone offering the service that you know of?

TheExpert

Newly Enlightened
well I won't flinch at taking sandpaper to a color sand a new porsche...............drill holes in my hds not gonna happen.

Snareman

Enlightened
hey guys, I've been away for awhile has anyone heard anything about pocket clips for the rotaries yet?

When I talked to him several months ago he said he would be at least a month from then as they were working on prototype clip designs. Don't remember exactly when I talked to him, but I remember it being cold and its 103 degrees here today

Brian1911

Newly Enlightened
I have the Legacy 170T and am thinking of a 200T clicky but am worried the LED wont center like it does on the old style LED. I had a Haiku that I returned because it drove me nuts paying that much for a light and seeing that. I guess the reflector doesnt rest onto the LED like it used to.

Also other then the pure "want" factor can you guys actually see a difference in the 170T vs the 200T?

Also my raised button boot is cracking pretty bad now after 2 years so can the boot be replaced or just the entire tail cap? I may consider ordering a spare if I get the new 200T clicky just to have on hand as well.

Thanks

lateralus180

Newly Enlightened
I have a question about modding an HDS light.

I would like to put a Nichia 219 4500K High CRI LED in an HDS light. I was told the LED would fit in any model as the entire board has to be removed and a new one installed. The 100, 120, 140, 170, 200, etc should all work. I was told that the 200 would be the best light to put the Nichia 219 but wasn't told why.

Is the reflector on the 200 version shaped more for a Cree XPG LED, and better for the similar Nichia 219?
Is it because the 200 cranks out more lumens and will have a slightly higher output with a Nichia 219 than the 120 model?

Thanks.

taratata

Newly Enlightened
I think it's about the current provided by the driver.

I think you have to get a model which the driver has been configured for a XPG led.

derfyled

Flashlight Enthusiast
Each HDS is hand calibrated, the 170 and 200 lumens models will often be driven a little bit more (more amps) so the 219 will take advantage of the higher amps.

So, basically, any model will be fine, higher rated one will just be brighter.

Status
Not open for further replies.