HDS Systems EDC # 18

Status
Not open for further replies.

recDNA

Flashaholic
I'm not a Cerakote fan. Everyone says it lasts longer than regular ano but that has never been my experience...but if you have a 325 and a 170n I won't be able to tell what color the ano is from a beamshot. LOL

I'm curious to see how cool the 325 is but you need a nichia next to it to judge. I also am a rotary guy and your beautiful green HDS is a clicky.

On CPFMP you green HDS would have sold the first day. A lot of CPFMP folks no longer monitor every second.

Last edited:

AVService

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sorry! It spreads just as bad as flashaholism......with 10,000 more options, heck there are likely more made in the USA knives then there are all lights combined........ Be careful!

Think through your knife purchase. What do you need it for? Will it see enough action to justify the price? No safe queens!
Stick with Spyderco. Don't look at anything else. Maybe match them with lights? 3 HDS & 3 Spydies, set a limit!
My old limit was one knife one light, and I was always hungry. Now Im thinking duplicates, 1 set on my person and 1 set in my BOB is reasonable and just enough to scratch the itch. The problem is finding the "one". Thats all I can offer. I wish you luck friend. Safe travels.
Huh?
39a030549989adcff1eee47a64c80424.jpg
48d86fd5e4099ab74cf5920eb873e13c.jpg

slim4511

Newly Enlightened
Solid Match.

Get a Hinderer XM-18, 3" Spanto. The HDS of knives.

:mecry:

Trip, You are mean. I'll take a SHIROGOROV KNIFE F3 (S30V, CF 3D, FS, BEARINGS) as an apology. ( or $1050, you can pick ).

All that said, we are bordering on OT and as usual I was an enabler. There's an app for that: :)

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?354821-Recommend-a-kinfe-to-pair-with-my-HDS

I'd love to see what Hogo has for a bladed companion. Hogo EDC: HDS, big knife with snake head sheath, rum, elf

ForrestChump

Flashlight Enthusiast
@ Slip I think you goofed on the quote and meant to offer up the X-M-18 in response to my post?

"Get a Hinderer XM-18, 3" Spanto. The HDS of knives."

For the record, Forrest didn't say that. Spyderco!

We should continue in that thread.
:)

nbp

Flashaholic
Nah Hinderers are good knives with artificially inflated prices and hype. Buy a ZT 0551 and get the beefiest Don't Take No Crap From Nobody knife out there with a dash of Rick in it. Worth every nickel. That's more like HDS. ;)

Trip Miller

Enlightened
I'm not a Cerakote fan. Everyone says it lasts longer than regular ano but that has never been my experience...but if you have a 325 and a 170n I won't be able to tell what color the ano is from a beamshot. LOL

I'm curious to see how cool the 325 is but you need a nichia next to it to judge. I also am a rotary guy and your beautiful green HDS is a clicky.

On CPFMP you green HDS would have sold the first day. A lot of CPFMP folks no longer monitor every second.

As soon as the 4000K XPL Run is delivered I will do this as I have a 170N clicky. You are very correct about the CPFMP comment....

So true.

@ AVS, you can't beat a Gayle Bradley with an HDS..... or maybe you can?

I am OT:

Back to HDS!

20150528_001744_RichtoneHDR_resized_zpsvl3pvg71.jpg

@ Slip I think you goofed on the quote and meant to offer up the X-M-18 in response to my post?

"Get a Hinderer XM-18, 3" Spanto. The HDS of knives."

For the record, Forrest didn't say that. Spyderco!

We should continue in that thread.
:)

Make it a slicer :)

Nah Hinderers are good knives with artificially inflated prices and hype. Buy a ZT 0551 and get the beefiest Don't Take No Crap From Nobody knife out there with a dash of Rick in it. Worth every nickel. That's more like HDS. ;)

FWIW they are coming down to reality on prices close to original retail.

Last edited:

sween1911

Flashlight Enthusiast
Rotary and under-bezel clips...

Have any of you had success installing a clip on your Rotary under the bezel? I've done this on my Twisty with an old NovaTac clip and love it. It required a thicker o-ring under the lens, but once installed and tightened down, it's very solid.

I've been searching around for info, found a few comments about it, but not much detail.

So, to any of you who have installed a clip under the bezel, what clip did you use and how did it work out?

At least on my clickie, installing the included pocket clip inder the bezel throws the reflector out of whack and the beam is jacked up. I too swapped the clip around on my Novatac and it was handy for clipping on a ballcap brim, but I don't see a way to do it on the newer HDS lights. You would need to pursue the Universal pocket clip, which secures with its own collar and can run bezel up or down.

Last edited:

recDNA

Flashaholic
As soon as the 4000K XPL Run is delivered I will do this as I have a 170N clicky. You are very correct about the CPFMP comment....

20150528_001744_RichtoneHDR_resized_zpsvl3pvg71.jpg

Make it a slicer :)

FWIW they are coming down to reality on prices close to original retail.

That will be great to see. It is really the cool white 325 I need to see next to the 170n though. I couldn't afford the XP-L when it was available so that won't be an option for me. I've been putting a few bucks aside for the 325 but I may wish to change gears and go with the 200. I already have a 4000k Vinh light so I have an idea of that tint. I really like it by the way.

SVT-ROY

Enlightened
OK guys I'm now curious about these lights. Im into high quality gear, always have been. Convince me how these are superior to the surefire backups that I rock. E1B(house), EB1(edc) and E1D(not really used). I work typically at night in a hostile environment and favor the tactical clicky of highest output first. How good it there warranty vs SF, quality vs SF? Performance? I would love more throw and longer runtime, the ability to run RCR would be hotness. OK now school this noob. I got confused with the E1B, EB1. The EB1 is my edc, it's the older one with tons on throw. The E1B is the anniversary camo for around the house.

Last edited:

scout24

Flashaholic
SVT ROY- The fact that there are eighteen previous threads on HDS lights should tell you all you need to know. Tough as nails. Not going to out throw a TIR optic SF though. RCR's are no problem. Made here, warranty amongst the best in the business. All models are programmable, or you can get a tactical rotary designed for the environment you describe. Start at the HDS website, prepare to do some reading.

recDNA

Flashaholic
OK guys I'm now curious about these lights. Im into high quality gear, always have been. Convince me how these are superior to the surefire backups that I rock. EB1(house), E1B(edc) and E1D(not really used). I work typically at night in a hostile environment and favor the tactical clicky of highest output first. How good it there warranty vs SF, quality vs SF? Performance? I would love more throw and longer runtime, the ability to run RCR would be hotness. OK now school this noob.
I'm guessing you would like the 250 clicky.

Trip Miller

Enlightened
OK guys I'm now curious about these lights. Im into high quality gear, always have been. Convince me how these are superior to the surefire backups that I rock. EB1(house), E1B(edc) and E1D(not really used). I work typically at night in a hostile environment and favor the tactical clicky of highest output first. How good it there warranty vs SF, quality vs SF? Performance? I would love more throw and longer runtime, the ability to run RCR would be hotness. OK now school this noob.

You just opened the box and will get a zillion opinions for sure. Very, very generally speaking I am certain most of these folks on here will give credit where due to SF lights and I am sure the majority own both or have at one or many points in time. That said and in no particular order:

*HDS are as or more durable my opinion, and have the track record to prove it. Many will suggest the clicky for ultimate durability but the rotary interface is a standout feature.
*Tactical rotary is indeed a great suggestion as already mentioned by Scout24, and there have been some recent posts about newer firmware with true tactical modes.
*You will not believe you lived without the User Interface/Programability of this light and that will win you over once you use it and understand it. It is not as hard as the manuals make it sound when just reading it. You need it in your hand.
*Warranty is basically forever as long as no true abuse. Henry will typically take care of you is my experience. And I have had a warranty item one time.
*RCR yes hotness.
*They are specifically optimized for runtime as pretty much the primary criteria and trumps output. Lights are not overdriven.
*XP-G2 and/or Nichia will throw well and there is a newer 200 lumen HiCRI Nichia being discussed that i am sure throws great too or as mentioned by recDNA a 250 XP-G2 will put it out there and have a great spill...
*Depending on your application there are new 18650 tube as well for even more runtime...or 2 x AA.
*Did I mention the UI?...

See the website and possibly the 40,000 posts or whatever there are in the past 18 threads...

Good luck and thanks for the post and welcome,

Trip

Status
Not open for further replies.