HDS Systems EDC # 18

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShineOnYouCrazyDiamond

Flashlight Enthusiast
Opening the HDS Rotary Tailcap

How to open the HDS Rotary tailcap:

Note: This is posted purely as a reference. I do not encourage anyone to disassemble their HDS Rotary light. Nor do I take any responsibility if you brick your HDS Rotary.

I apologize this post is so long but I didn't realize how many pictures I had taken while doing the work. This second time around opening the HDS Rotary tailcap and re-lubing it only took about 15 minutes total.

I hope you find this reference useful.

1) This is the hole you will be pulling the retaining wire out of. Notice the grease being squished out of the tailcap - we will address how to avoid this later on.
HDS_Rotary_Tailcap_Mod_01.jpg

2) You'll need a pair of fine tweezers. I am using the same ones I distributed with the second run of the V10R Ti e-switches.
HDS_Rotary_Tailcap_Mod_02.jpg

3) You need to use one point on the tweezers to rotate the wire around the light about 2mm at a time until you see the exposed metal end of the wire.
HDS_Rotary_Tailcap_Mod_03.jpg

4) Here is the exposed metal end of the wire I am going to pull out.
HDS_Rotary_Tailcap_Mod_04.jpg

5) It takes a little patience and persistence. Go slow and gentle and eventually you can wiggle the wire so that it is starting to poke out of the hole.
HDS_Rotary_Tailcap_Mod_05.jpg

6) Grab the end with the tweezers and slide it out sideways.
HDS_Rotary_Tailcap_Mod_06.jpg

7) The wire it pretty long so keep pulling.
HDS_Rotary_Tailcap_Mod_07.jpg

8) Once the wire is out the top comes right off.
IMPORTANT: DO NOT clean the grease off the retaining wire. It needs to be on there so the wire slides back in with no resistance.
HDS_Rotary_Tailcap_Mod_08.jpg

9) We are going to want to clean off all of this grease on the tailcap.
HDS_Rotary_Tailcap_Mod_09.jpg

10) And all of this grease on the body of the light.
HDS_Rotary_Tailcap_Mod_10.jpg

11) Use a q-tip and wipe it around the inside of the tailcap. Take your time as you don't want to push grease down onto the contact board. I used both ends of about 5 q-tips to get it clean.
HDS_Rotary_Tailcap_Mod_11.jpg

12) Once clean remove the two o-rings. Continue to clean the remaining grease off the inside. I find that a q-tip soaked in alcohol is good removing any remaining grease inside the tailcap. Use a soft cloth or paper towel soaked in alcohol to remove the grease from the o-rings.
HDS_Rotary_Tailcap_Mod_12.jpg

13) See how I am cleaning the grease off from the side. You want to be very careful to not go down from the top or else you will likely bend the VERY fragile contact fingers.
HDS_Rotary_Tailcap_Mod_13.jpg

14) Notice how I brushed against a few of them. They bend easily. I was able to bend the back gently with the tip of the tweezers.
HDS_Rotary_Tailcap_Mod_14.jpg

15) There are four indented rings on the inside of the tailcap. The first one below is where the retaining wire goes.
HDS_Rotary_Tailcap_Mod_15.jpg

16) The second ring is for an o-ring.
HDS_Rotary_Tailcap_Mod_16.jpg

17) The third ring is for an o-ring.
HDS_Rotary_Tailcap_Mod_17.jpg

18) The fourth and bottom ring remains empty.
HDS_Rotary_Tailcap_Mod_18.jpg

19) Ready to re-grease. My grease of preference for any rotating parts is called helical grease. It is the type of grease used on camera zoom lenses. It has a bit of a stickiness to it which help it hold position and provides a bit of resistance to turning motion. I have found the 1500 weight to give just enough resistance. The container below was about $30 but should provide more than a lifetime supply of grease for anyone.
HDS_Rotary_Tailcap_Mod_19.jpg

20) Using a fine implement put some grease into the grooves in rings two and three in the tailcap. Try to get this grease into the rings only as the o-ring will sit against this greases to help rotation and sealing from the elements.
HDS_Rotary_Tailcap_Mod_20.jpg

21) Re-install the two o-rings into grooves two and three. I found the tip of the tweezers helped to simply nudge the o-rings into place.
HDS_Rotary_Tailcap_Mod_21.jpg

22) Once re-installed you'll see most of the grease I just put in is hidden behind the o-rings.
HDS_Rotary_Tailcap_Mod_22.jpg

23) Apply just a small coating of grease to the top of the o-rings. This is where is pays to be careful with your application. Too much grease here or grease smudged into the top ring will cause the grease marks squishing out in picture 1.
HDS_Rotary_Tailcap_Mod_23.jpg

24) Align the tailcap with the top of the battery tube and just push it straight down.
HDS_Rotary_Tailcap_Mod_24.jpg

25) I recommend aligning the hole with the screw so you have a little back and forth movement available in the head to assist in case the wire sticks a bit at some point while putting it back in. Hold the wire as shown with the tweezers. The exposed wire section will be the last past that goes back in.
HDS_Rotary_Tailcap_Mod_25.jpg

26) Hold the light as below and put a little pressure onto the tailcap to push it down in place. The tiny copper finger put some pressure on the tailcap so the ring for the wire doesn't line up unless the tailcap is pushed in. Insert the wire into the hole.
HDS_Rotary_Tailcap_Mod_26.jpg

27) Push the wire in a little bit at a time until just a tiny bit remains exposed.
HDS_Rotary_Tailcap_Mod_27.jpg

28) With the tip of the tweezers push the remaining bit of the wire into the hole. Rotate the tailcap back and forth a bit to make sure the wire is fully seated and will doesn't poke back out when twisting.
HDS_Rotary_Tailcap_Mod_28.jpg

And that is it. Actually pretty simple once you know how the tailcap is assembled.

AZPops

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Opening the HDS Rotary Tailcap

ShineOnYouCrazyDiamond, thank you very much for taking time from your day to show us the internal components of the Rotary's tail cap, and how to service it. This is a great informative post!

Pops

bansuri

Enlightened
Re: Opening the HDS Rotary Tailcap

Great walkthrough SOYCD, excellent photos and comments regarding safe techniques and assembly.
That type of grease is great for control rings, if you're on a budget a similar product can be purchased from DX for a bit cheaper. I've used it on all the control ring lights that I've worked on with great results. Adds some resistance and stays useful for a long time.
Your last sentence made me laugh, it doesn't LOOK pretty simple! Grabbing the wire looks tricky, one false move when it's open and you could screw up the wipers. Proceed with caution.

Great work!!

edit: I was skeptical of the DX grease because, well, just because. Was happily surprised when it worked so well. A handy addition to the toolbox.

Last edited:

DucS2R

Enlightened
Really cool to see how the rotary works, I am amazed at how delicate the contact fingers are compared to the ones I find in pots and old style tuners. I would not dream of taking my rotary apart, but again, nice to see the insides. Pretty impressive!

jonwkng

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow, thanks for the detailed Rotary tailcap disassembly instructions and photos, Sean! First time I'm seeing how the internals of the rotary mechanism works. Definitely need metallic male gonads and very steady hands for this sort of light surgery. I'll stick to stitching up fingers and conventional surgery. :D

redryder

Enlightened
I wonder if the wire is meant to be taken out multiple times or if it should be replaced every time. I would be concerned that the wire eventually breaks and then it would be very difficult/ impossible to take out.

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
SOYCD, thanks for the effort in showing us the takedown, cleaning and installation procedure of the tail cap. It is very informative and it is something all rotary owners should know in case sand and grit got trapped inside and we don't want to waste the time sending it in to Henry for the cleaning.

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wonder if the wire is meant to be taken out multiple times or if it should be replaced every time. I would be concerned that the wire eventually breaks and then it would be very difficult/ impossible to take out.
I think this is a very valid concern. After all, metal fatigue is something that cannot be taken for granted.

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
I would assume Henry is using material that won't be as fragile as to be a concern of it breaking.

Let's see what ShineOn or Hogo has to say about it though.

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would assume Henry is using material that won't be as fragile as to be a concern of it breaking.

Let's see what ShineOn or Hogo has to say about it though.

I wouldn't make it a daily thing. Henry didn't design it to be user serviceable.... but then, the most difficult thing is teasing that wire out. Should last quite a few times taking it out as all it is doing is retaining the tail cap and no force is being applied to it. Well, no strong force. Notice the 8 fingers on each contact? There only needs to be one. It's redundancy. As long as one of those 8 are making contact, the Rotary works. Be careful with them anyway.

Stylus. Must get one. Damn these tablets and smartphones.

P_A_S_1

Flashlight Enthusiast
SOYCD,
Thanks for the post, pretty cool to see under the cap. Like already stated, the contacts look a little flimsy, I was expecting something more substantial. In the last thread Hogo wrote that an improved rotary cap was in the works to make them more robust, wonder if that means a different design or a beefed up version of what you posted.

Lithium466

Enlightened
Anybody have any preference of the 219A over the 219B led?
Well, I still prefer the 219A, I'm a little disappointed in the 219 beam...

Another "problem", I programmed my clicky to turn on on the lowest low, with momentary. Is is normal that it now takes at least one second for the led to turn on after the click?
My 120 high CRI doesn't behave that way :thinking:
Is it a consequence of momentary (doesn't look like that) enabled, or simply a physical aspect of the led being slow because of the very low current?

slumber

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, I still prefer the 219A, I'm a little disappointed in the 219 beam...

Another "problem", I programmed my clicky to turn on on the lowest low, with momentary. Is is normal that it now takes at least one second for the led to turn on after the click?
My 120 high CRI doesn't behave that way :thinking:
Is it a consequence of momentary (doesn't look like that) enabled, or simply a physical aspect of the led being slow because of the very low current?

Maybe the new low is so low, your eyes are taking an extra second to recognize the light is on?

Lithium466

Enlightened
That could be it, but I'm not so sure...and I'm not so old :)
I'll try with 0,08lm like my 120 High CRI.

KDM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks SOYCD, great photos and detailed tutorial. Always wondered about the internals of the rotary switch and also interesting to see how the wire was designed to work. Thanks for sharing.

run4jc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow, Sean. That's awesome. Echoing what others have said, thank you for showing us that - detailed photos/descriptions and all, and I won't be opening mine up! :eek: After reading various comments related to the resistance of the control ring, happy to report that mine is just about perfect for me. We'll see how the other light I have coming feels - hopefully it'll be the same.

Awesome lights. My XPG2 flush tail cap has been my only light in use since it arrived - can't wait for the 219B from Oveready to arrive - it may take over!

neutralwhite

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi
is there a latest on cpf about how your hds is programmed please?.
help me get some ideas to keep it set , as I have changed it each morning lol.

thanks.

Lithium466

Enlightened
Maybe the new low is so low, your eyes are taking an extra second to recognize the light is on?
After various testing, nope, definitely not.

In fact light is "slow" to react only when it stayed off for some times (around 30s is enough). Then it takes ~1s to switch on on the lowest low. If It was on, then switched off, then switched on, it responds quickly (normally).
This doesn't happen if low is set to ~0,08lm like the old low was. I guess it is a consequence, and is probably caused by the led "response time"?

calflash

Enlightened
SOYCD - thanks a bunch for that work. Now I feel more comfortable with cleaning mine.

Status
Not open for further replies.