HDS Systems EDC # 20

Status
Not open for further replies.

scout24

Flashaholic
I'll be the contrarian voice- I like the plain black skinny HDS clip for the clickies. All business. Does it's job. Unobtrusive.

nbp

Flashaholic
Any further opinions on peoples preferences when it comes to clips for the clicky would be appreciated. What do guys like best and why(Standard clip, Decorative clip, Dark Sucks clip, Oveready clip)? Thanks.

Moddoo clip followed by Dark Sucks. Great looks and excellent grip. Moddoo is a little tighter than the Dark Sucks.

moltenmag

Enlightened
I'll be the contrarian voice- I like the plain black skinny HDS clip for the clickies. All business. Does it's job. Unobtrusive.

I agree scout24. The stock clip is utilitarian and extremely functional. The black anodizing is less noticeable too

recDNA

Flashaholic
Put the wheel near the head and no problem with deep pocket clips. Also easier to adjust one handed.

moltenmag

Enlightened
Yes, you would go to the website and purchase the upgrade. I see no problem changing the software as well, but let me confirm that with Henry on Monday.

Here is a quick and dirty way to tell what software is in your light...

Lights prior to December 2013 have the electronic lock out.

5 clicks from off candle mode: software 2.10

7 clicks from off candle mode: software 2.14

9 clicks from off candle mode: software 2.15 (this also has the 6 click from off that turns the light into pure momentary until you remove the battery for 60 seconds. This is lights after January 2015.

Candle mode was never documented but is one way to tell what software version you have.

And as a small bit of advice, when traveling to the bathroom at 0300 with a new puppy in the house, it is advisable to use a low setting on your HDS instead of the ambient light you have relied on for years. Ambient light does not necessarily illuminate the things you need illuminated. Stepping in warm and squishy puppy love does not make for a pleasant evening. Carpet is NOT supposed to feel that way.

Great happy to hear that it's possible. Would it just cost $45 per flashlight?

Great info about the candle mode.

Looking forward to hearing from you/Henry on Monday

INFRNL

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here is a quick and dirty way to tell what software is in your light...

Lights prior to December 2013 have the electronic lock out.

5 clicks from off candle mode: software 2.10

7 clicks from off candle mode: software 2.14

9 clicks from off candle mode: software 2.15 (this also has the 6 click from off that turns the light into pure momentary until you remove the battery for 60 seconds. This is lights after January 2015.

Candle mode was never documented but is one way to tell what software version you have.
Do you have to turn on this 6 click feature in the programming or is it already on by default? I will have to try this out tomorrow

JKolmo

Enlightened
Ahhhh, didn't know about this 2.15 SW 6 clicks from off feature. Explains why my two newest HDS lights have been acting weird occasionally, I have activated this feature without realizing it.

And no, it seems that this feature is a default, no need to activate it in programming mode (at least not for me).

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
Any further opinions on peoples preferences when it comes to clips for the clicky would be appreciated. What do guys like best and why(Standard clip, Decorative clip, Dark Sucks clip, Oveready clip)? Thanks.
My favorite clips were the ones made by Modoo but I don't use a clip anymore.

Ironically, the guy who makes them doesn't use a clip either. I had breakfast with Henry on Tuesday and it was funny when we both put our carry lights on the table. No clips for either one of us, but even better yet, he had one of the cancerized black bezels and an, oh, I don't know if I'm supposed to tell what tube he had one his Rotary, but at any rate, the head and body did not match, and I don't mean like the slightly different hues of green mismatch. I mean, complete mismatch.

Hogo will know if it's okay to talk about the body of the light that Henry had at SHOT but was forbidden to show. :sssh:

thermal guy

Flashaholic
Ahhhh, didn't know about this 2.15 SW 6 clicks from off feature. Explains why my two newest HDS lights have been acting weird occasionally, I have activated this feature without realizing it.

And no, it seems that this feature is a default, no need to activate it in programming mode (at least not for me).

Ya it's a default setting I use it now so that I will stop draining my battery when it turns on by accident when I keep it in my front pocket. Hey can you set it at a set lumen like that or is it full out or nothing.

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast
6 clicks from off to momentary maximum (tactical) is not a setting you can disable or change brightness settings. It's documented in the manual. We figured the only way someone might accidentally get there is trying to get to candle mode. Auto turn off is a better feature for pocket carry, and I use this feature on my raised tail rotaries when I holster carry.

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast
I mean, complete mismatch.

Hogo will know if it's okay to talk about the body of the light that Henry had at SHOT but was forbidden to show. :sssh:

Let's not open this can of worms. Yes, I made him stick that thing in his pocket and keep it hidden away. This seems to be a trend with Henry and I at SHOT show. It's been two years with no movement forward on that... coating. If there is actual progress on it this year, I will announce it, but until I actually see progress on it... it should stay in Henry's pocket out of sight.

moltenmag

Enlightened
Let's not open this can of worms. Yes, I made him stick that thing in his pocket and keep it hidden away. This seems to be a trend with Henry and I at SHOT show. It's been two years with no movement forward on that... coating. If there is actual progress on it this year, I will announce it, but until I actually see progress on it... it should stay in Henry's pocket out of sight.

If it's the old HAIII greenish grey anodizing... oh man... can't wait to hear more information

FroggyTaco

Flashlight Enthusiast
All of these comments reminds of the early days of 4-7's & the massive hint dropping about impending releases when the original Ti quarks were in design & early production...

archimedes

Flashaholic

archimedes

Flashaholic
Ok, I found a couple of my own photos of these clips ...

3BdB5nS.jpg

These were custom shaped (bent) to size and style

wCEtE3o.jpg

And included with the Ti Ra

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast
NOT TITANIUM. NOT OLIVE HAIII. It was a test of NP3 nickel plating. Again, this was done about 2 years ago and has not proceeded since then. Of the things to get one's hopes up about, this currently isn't one of them.

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast
First production HDS cave light. It sure ain't purdy, but had dual light levels (low and high) along with dual switches. Made in 1979. 15 were initially made and sold to members of the National Speleological Society. This was Henry's that was used by him hence the dirt and damage. And yes, it still works.

This was Henry's third design. The first tried to kill him twice in Mexico. The second had the switches smashed. This third model, was the success.

kpmSmdE.jpg

Last edited:

ven

Flashaholic
Archi, your pics shuld come with a warning!!! may cause drooling :)

Love it hogo, would you say this is where it pretty much all started from? Still works.............incredible! My lads lad..s lad will be made up is great grandpa's rotary still works:D

Status
Not open for further replies.