HDS Systems EDC # 20

Status
Not open for further replies.

moltenmag

Enlightened
NOT TITANIUM. NOT OLIVE HAIII. It was a test of NP3 nickel plating. Again, this was done about 2 years ago and has not proceeded since then. Of the things to get one's hopes up about, this currently isn't one of them.

Regardless, I'm really excited about whatever comes out. I'm just partial to olive HAIII

thermal guy

Flashaholic
Ok, I found a couple of my own photos of these clips ...

3BdB5nS.jpg

These were custom shaped (bent) to size and style

What's on the head of your hds/AA model??

wCEtE3o.jpg

And included with the Ti Ra

Hondo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Any further opinions on peoples preferences when it comes to clips for the clicky would be appreciated. What do guys like best and why(Standard clip, Decorative clip, Dark Sucks clip, Oveready clip)? Thanks.

My clip is a lanyard:

9581ddbe-b56f-447a-8a19-a0d4376794a0_zps3425c61b.jpg~original

e7eac2e1-71e2-4dde-99c8-b7dee62200dd_zps20639e35.jpg~original

It's bezel down, can be used hands-free coming in with my hands full, and when detached prevents dropping. Also anti-roll, no interference with tail-standing and totally Rotary compatible. And yes, that is a stainless set screw you see, so that one can use all of the old screw-on designs. It's a HCRI Legacy.

Oh, and it cost about 25 cents.

Last edited:

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for all the info, photos, and suggestions on clips guys👍.

I wish there was a deep carry clip available for the new clickies. Maybe I can have one custom made.

Last edited:

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast
maybe something for Jason Hui of Prometheus to look into.
Yeah, or maybe Oveready. I would prefer steel over titanium personally with a durable PVD or DLC coating. It would be awesome to see one made similar to the Decorative ones but, be bent into a deep carry design flush with the tailcap. And, it needs a larger bend(lip) at the end so it is easier to clip on. That is one thing wrong with both of Henry's designs(Standard and decorative). They have much too small of a lip at the end which makes them hard to clip on. That is why people seem to prefer the Oveready one I think. I am guessing this design flaw might have been overlooked because Henry is not a clip user from what I hear. Maybe Hogo could bring this to Henry's attention for when the next run is made?

Last edited:

scout24

Flashaholic
I'm not dispariging your preference, but I've bent clips beyond recognition catching a "lip" that's too pronounced on furniture, my seatbelt, other clothing, etc. I'd rather have to lift it with my fingers if needed to re-pocket than find my light next to my seat dangling off the seatbelt. And I like having something to grab onto when drawing the light to use, finding the current clips deep carry enough. Something like the Elzetta Alpha, where half the light is hanging out of your pocket, is another story...

the.Mtn.Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
It may be possible. Do you know what version it is? i.e. roughly the date of manufacture? ACME threads?. The head would need to be reprogrammed, then calibrated. The cost is $45 to upgrade to the most current software. Any idea what software version is in it?
I've been curious for a while, but why is it so expensive to upgrade the firmware? Is it a labor intensive and/or time consuming process? Because $45 seems a bit steep to me. I would have jumped at it a long time ago for $25 (seeing how I was one of the ones who asked Henry if he would consider offering a firmware upgrade), but that $45 price tag always makes me think twice.

nbp

Flashaholic
My guess is to keep every person with an HDS from sending it back in every time there's a tiny firmware update. He'd be spending all his time programming lights and never get anything else done. It's probably something he doesn't prefer to spend his limited time doing unless it's monetarily worth the effort. Running a small business myself, I totally understand if this is the logic.

ironhorse

Enlightened
I'm not dispariging your preference, but I've bent clips beyond recognition catching a "lip" that's too pronounced on furniture, my seatbelt, other clothing, etc. I'd rather have to lift it with my fingers if needed to re-pocket than find my light next to my seat dangling off the seatbelt. And I like having something to grab onto when drawing the light to use, finding the current clips deep carry enough. Something like the Elzetta Alpha, where half the light is hanging out of your pocket, is another story...
I had a light with a clip catch on the seatbelt, then fall out on a stone driveway. I never noticed it was missing until hours later. I did find it later, after having been driven over several times. Luckily it had no damage ( a HDS light ). That is the main reason I don't use clips anymore.

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast

I get what you are saying too but, I am not talking about making the lip huge just similar to most of the other popular clips on the market(both knife and flashlight). The current HDS ones seam to have a smaller lip without much ramping to it. I havent tried them but, having to struggle to clip a light or knife to your pocket or use two hands is rather annoying imo. If you compare the Oveready and Dark Sucks Clips they seam to have a larger lip with a much smoother ramp to it. I am guessing that is why many people seem to prefer them. Overall, this is not a huge issue but, I just thought I would bring it up as slight tweaks that improve or refine a design are never a bad thing imo.

As for the carry depth, deep carry clips(where the tailcap sits flush with the edge of your pocket) are still very easy to draw but give a few added benefits. First, they better protect the light and other things it can rub on from scratches as the tail is not sticking out. Second, they prevent the tailcap from rubbing on things which can often loosen it. And third, it makes for a more discrete and clean look when your carrying as there isnt a big tailcap sticking out of your pants for everyone to see. Plus, there are plenty of standard carry options available now but, no deep carry ones. If you prefer standard carry then just stick to the ones currently available but, it would be nice for people who prefer deep carry to have an option again.

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had a light with a clip catch on the seatbelt, then fall out on a stone driveway. I never noticed it was missing until hours later. I did find it later, after having been driven over several times. Luckily it had no damage ( a HDS light ). That is the main reason I don't use clips anymore.

You just have to get in the habit of checking it once and a while(especially when you get in and out of your car). I have never had it happen with a flashlight but, have had it happen with a knife. I noticed right away when I heard it hit the ground luckily though.

Another disadvantage with clips is they can scratch things. I once put a large scratch in the side of my my GFs SUV with a knife clip. But again, I learned how to prevent it going forward. I am now in the habit of guarding it when I am around thing that can get scratched like a LEO does with his sidearm.

Everything has advantages and disadvantages but, when it comes to flashlight carry methods I think that pocket clips advantages far outweigh their disadvantages. That is why they are by far the most popular form of carry for both flashlights and folding knives. But, its good to have options and a good holster is another great option but, it has its own set of advantages and disadvantages lol.

the.Mtn.Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
My guess is to keep every person with an HDS from sending it back in every time there's a tiny firmware update. He'd be spending all his time programming lights and never get anything else done. It's probably something he doesn't prefer to spend his limited time doing unless it's monetarily worth the effort. Running a small business myself, I totally understand if this is the logic.
Yes, I suspected that the price might be deliberately unattractive.

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
I lost my favorite D10 back when they were a thing and a few years later my favorite Clicky. Neither saw either light again and I went from being a huge fan of clips to a carrier of a naked Rotary.

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
That was it exactly. I asked him about flashing my firmware on a Clicky several years ago and he really didn't want to do it but relented when I asked if he could attach a charge to it in order to make it worth his while.
Within a year he was offering the service, but making sure the price was high enough that he wouldn't have to be doing a lot of them.

moltenmag

Enlightened
Yes, you would go to the website and purchase the upgrade. I see no problem changing the software as well, but let me confirm that with Henry on Monday.

Here is a quick and dirty way to tell what software is in your light...

Lights prior to December 2013 have the electronic lock out.

5 clicks from off candle mode: software 2.10

7 clicks from off candle mode: software 2.14

9 clicks from off candle mode: software 2.15 (this also has the 6 click from off that turns the light into pure momentary until you remove the battery for 60 seconds. This is lights after January 2015.

Candle mode was never documented but is one way to tell what software version you have.

And as a small bit of advice, when traveling to the bathroom at 0300 with a new puppy in the house, it is advisable to use a low setting on your HDS instead of the ambient light you have relied on for years. Ambient light does not necessarily illuminate the things you need illuminated. Stepping in warm and squishy puppy love does not make for a pleasant evening. Carpet is NOT supposed to feel that way.

Hogo... looking forward to what Henry says about converting my Clickies to Rotaries... just a reminder :) Thanks!

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, updating the software is a pain. It not only has to be reprogrammed, it then has to be re-calibrated.

So, if you have an executive and want the head reprogrammed with the latest software and also reprogrammed as a Rotary, you must send the light in with the Rotary tail on the light. Lights sent in to be updated or reprogrammed must be sent in whole i.e. with the battery tube and head... complete. If an executive head is sent in on a Rotary tail, you will get it programmed as a Rotary. Send in a Rotary head attached to an Executive tail, and you will get executive programming.

DO NOT send in two heads, one with a Rotary tail and one without, or any combination that is not an entire working light. DO put a note with it if you want Rotary, Tactical, Executive, or LE programming.

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Going through all of last years sales (more a pain than reprogramming a head) clips, even the old cheapo executive clip, was a pretty small number in relation to lights sold. Sorry clip guys.

The reality is, most orders are custom orders from the custom page. I do expect folks are looking for other clip options by other manufacturers, but I doubt even at that it's, well under 25%. I do think it is important, and we are still going to work on a deep carry clip, but it is not a top priority. Actually, would be just as happy if a third-party made such an animal so we wouldn't have to devote time to it... hint, hint... like a tritium bezel.

Status
Not open for further replies.