I just started in ceramics

divine

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a question.

How sharp do your ceramic blades get? I think it is the nature of ceramic, but nothing I have gets shaving sharp. I expected the razor blades to come very sharp, but they are slightly less sharp than metal blades or other knives.

They cut very well and work excellent, just a little different.

Thanks.

ErickThakrar

Enlightened
The edge angles are different in a ceramic blade. If you made the angles as flat as you can on steel, they would chip out a lot. Instead, you use the incredibly lubricity and the hardness of the ceramic as the primary strength of the tool. It also doesn't have the carbide structure that you get in steel, so again it does cut differently.
They will almost never be shaving sharp, but they will cut, cut well and cut for a long time before needing sharpening. Sharpening, you can do with a diamond hone.

coors

Enlightened
It's been awhile since I posted about my 2x ceramic bladed knives, so here's an update. The Rigger has seen hardly any use, compared to the DX ceramic. The wood scales give that "just right" feel that I desire, when preparing my food. Even with the minimal use, I've managed to knock a total of 7 very tiny chips into the Rigger's blade edge. Actually, one of the chips is at the tip. Its the size of a very small grain of sand, but sure didn't make me feel very good about life when I did it. These chips are not the result of use, but rather misuse as I would knock the blade edge into the side of the sink's faucet or into the side of a pan or ceramic bowl, etc. Some people should just not be allowed to own a ceramic bladed knife!
Since I don't really use the Rigger anymore I've contemplated trying to sell it, but that may not happen as no one may be interested due to the micro-chips. Since I made the titanium clip that it wears, I suppose in some small way that it qualifies as a custom. If I list it, should I list it over at Marketplace or should I list it here, on Custom Forge? If someone knows, please reply, here.

no1-3.jpg

smflorkey

Newly Enlightened
Even with the minimal use, I've managed to knock a total of 7 very tiny chips into the Rigger's blade edge. Actually, one of the chips is at the tip. Its the size of a very small grain of sand, but sure didn't make me feel very good about life when I did it. These chips are not the result of use, but rather misuse as I would knock the blade edge into the side of the sink's faucet or into the side of a pan or ceramic bowl, etc...
Thanks for the update. Some of us have to learn the hard way; don't feel too bad about this lesson. I imagine those chips can be worked out with diamond 'stones' like DMT.
Since I don't really use the Rigger anymore I've contemplated trying to sell it, but that may not happen as no one may be interested due to the micro-chips. Since I made the titanium clip that it wears, I suppose in some small way that it qualifies as a custom. If I list it, should I list it over at Marketplace or should I list it here, on Custom Forge? If someone knows, please reply, here.
I haven't read the forum rules lately, but I think Greta and her moderators would far prefer you create a proper sale thread. And I would interested in buying your knife -- chips, clip and all -- assuming the price agrees with the depth of my pocket when the sale thread goes up. I have a DMT Aligner so I should be able to fix it.

Regards,
Steve

cdrake261

Enlightened
Wow, sucks about the knives, i just think its funny in the US how i can carry my handgun most any where with my CCW but yet they wont allow you to conceal a fixed blade knife even with a CCW :confused:

Indiana allows me to carry a gun and knives concealed or unconcealed...only exception is that it cannot be used in a threatening manner and you cannot have an automatic knife. Size and wither it's fix blades or not doesn't matter here...

Latest posts