improved batt charging clamp instructions

lrp

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks guys, I have emailed Mike for ordering instructions.

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
wasBlinded said:
[ QUOTE ]
cy said:

wasblinded, heavy short cables to charging rig is exactly what triton and other intelligent chargers recommend.

[/ QUOTE ]

And when charging at the extremely high currents into high amp-hour battery packs that RC guys use, large gauge cable is useful. But in the 1-3 amp range for flashlight cells (though there may be rare exceptions) your clamp leads are still overkill. Not a bad thing, just more than needed.

wasBlinded,

Your observation is correct, but I think there is more to the story here. Schulze, for example, recommends--I suspect--such heavy gauge wire to ensure that the resistance of the wire is neglible compared to the internal resistance of the batteries. Also very low lead resistance gives a more accurate absolute measurement of the battery voltage. The Triton and isl-330 chargers both stop current periodically to monitor certain variables, mainly pack resting voltage. What else is going on I don't know.

But in any case, I agree with you that 12 or 14 gauge wire is probably over-kill, but it definitely doesn't hurt. My main point is just that it isn't recommended (by schulze) in order to reduce I^2R losses or anything, but to ensure an accurate voltage and resistance measurement of the pack itself, as opposed to the total system.

Why an absolute measurement would be required (versus a relative one) I don't know. I suspect that it is because the auto-charge function on the more sophistaced schulzes does indeed measure IR in order to calculate maximum charge current (early in the cycle). For myself, charging with the Triton, all my different charging cables are 18 or 20 gauge wire and I have had no problems so far. Perhaps it would be different if I had a 330? Who knows?

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
On a more important note,

cy,

SWEET CHARGING CLAMP!!! I love it! Great idea. I'm going to set myself up with one of these.

I have a charging rig for the 5 cell 1/2D MagCharger and SL-20X packs made by splitting a metal D cell battery holder in two and attaching the ends to a board so that a 5 1/2D stick just fits in. Then I alligator clip onto the battery holder leads. But this wouldn't work for odd sized cells, of course.

Thanks for posting this!

cue003

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mental note to self. Thanks.

Cy, are those batteries in a series or parallel configuration?

Can the triton or ICe charger for that matter charge batteries using the clamp for a series configuration? What about a parallel configuration? How would it be done, what would need to be set on the charger for say 1) 6x168a in parallel in 2 3x168a holders and say 2) 3x168a in a series configuration?

Thanks. This could very well be the answer to my problems.

Also, the triton charger needs a power supply right? Is there such a thing as a small/light power supply to go along with the charger?

Does the ICE charger need a power supply as well? What is recommended?

Curtis

cy

Flashaholic
almost forgot about this old thread :D

yes you can charge in series, but must use lower charge rate to fully charge.

typically I'll charge 8x AA in a modamag carrier at .5amps.

I've never tried charging li-ion in parallel.

you can charge li-ion in series by selecting correct voltage. generally I prefer to charge li-ion cell in single cell mode.

yes triton requires an additional power supply. I use a large car battery, then once a week or so charge up the car batt.

main reason is my house has large voltage fluctuations, so I would need a 15amp regulated power supply :green:

charging station.JPG

Last edited:

sig-in-tx

Newly Enlightened
Nice idea, have to go looking for parts for one, but why not put a fuse in the lines. If shorted out pop a fuse and no fireworks.

cue003

Flashlight Enthusiast
Cy, what size are those screws in the clamp? They look like 1.5inch x 8/32

Is that correct? I am trying to track down the right length and size.

Curtis

cy

Flashaholic
don't know exact size, but go to your local hardware store. cruise the lamp repair parts and you will find all sorts of brass hardware that will work.

cy

Flashaholic
my charging clamp is still working fine!

how about yours?

wquiles

Flashaholic
cy, just found your old thread today again. Wanted to say thanks again for this - I now have two of these and they are not only useful to charge cells/packs with the Triton, but also on the bench while testing circuits/bulbs/LED's with various battery combinations (when a Bench Power Supply is not practical) :rock:

Will

cy

Flashaholic
what a moldy but goody old thread :D

yep they're handy as an external power source for say one CR123 or 1x 18650, etc.

finally updated to a 20amp DC regulated power supply for triton. instead of full size car battery.

here's a pic of brass lamp hardware used, next to ti PD for size ref.

clamp studs.JPG

Last edited:

Bob_G

Enlightened
Found this old thread while searching for something else. Realized I wouldn't have bought a Triton if not for this thread :) Use mine all the time, incredibly handy combo with Triton.

Oh, that hardware is called "battery connector thingy" or some such at my local hardware store LOL.

TedTheLed

Flashlight Enthusiast
nice clamp idea. I use little neodymium magnets to hold the alligator clips on the battery ends..
not the most secure method but works in a pinch.

(anything wrong with that?)

TedTheLed

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use balls, the clip grips 'em fairly well, they're 1/4" and less than $1. each -- there are also biggeruns and cylinders that work well..

magnet14.jpg

cy

Flashaholic
don't use magnets because they don't work consistently on all cells.
too easy to make a proper clamp for little $$.

if you are only using cells that stick to magnets good. have not measured resistance if any, but don't see why magnets would not work.

danger in magnets is folks that use them inside battery packs to make connections. dead shorts dangers!

clamps can be used to align up multiple cells. personally prefer the medium sized clamps. adjusts from tiny single cell to large multi-cell packs.

charging clamp 6.JPG

charging clamp 7.JPG

Alin10123

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lips said:
Magnets are great but they don't work with allot of FiveMegas battery holders... :grin2:

Um... i dont see why you would. With fivemegas holders just use his supplied charging jack and connect it straight to the charger. LOL

cy

Flashaholic
or easier yet... stick it in the clamp with no adapter

Alin10123 said:
Um... i dont see why you would. With fivemegas holders just use his supplied charging jack and connect it straight to the charger. LOL

charging clamp 5.JPG

Latest posts