improved batt charging clamp instructions

Lips

Flashlight Enthusiast
Alin10123 said:
Um... i dont see why you would. With fivemegas holders just use his supplied charging jack and connect it straight to the charger. LOL

Most FiveMega Lith Ion holders DON'T have charging jacks and are not magnetic. :grin2:

I built me a CY clamp for those :twothumbs

Your magnets with wires are AWESOME for charging IMHO :rock:

That's why I have 6 pairs :naughty:

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
Trying to figure out the best kind of charging clamp setup to make...saw this thread. Those magnets from Alin are nice, but I got the black/red pairs from Mad MaxaBeam, and prefer having the 20G wire, and insulation protection to help prevent shorting.

magnets.jpg

cy

Flashaholic
have not used magnets to charge. mostly because once you have one of these super easy to make charging clamps.

it's so easy to clamp down a cell, it's not worth getting magnet leads out. for loose cells, take a PVC tube to hold cells in alignment. or use a multi cell pack.

my preference for AA's is some type of multi channel charger.

charging clamp 6.JPG

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
cy said:
have not used magnets to charge. mostly because once you have one of these super easy to make charging clamps.

it's so easy to clamp down a cell, it's not worth getting magnet leads out. for loose cells, take a PVC tube to hold cells in alignment. or use a multi cell pack.

my preference for AA's is some type of multi channel charger.

Yeah, I am using the new Maha C9000 new version AA/AAA charger for loose cells, but MadMax gave me 2 sets of those wires with his 64623 Torch battery packs, and they work great on that.

I think I will make your setup, but I do like Don's idea of using a PVC tube...and may get various inside diameters for various cell sizes. Do you need to cut them in 1/2 like Don did? It seems like there would be better alignment with intact tubing...that stuff is cheap enough, I may even cut several lengths for various numbers of cells & FM packs.

I don't see a reason not to use the FM connector plug into the end on the ones that have them.

Cy, one question I had...the brass fittings you use from lamps..they have as good of conduction as you need? (I have no idea about conductive rates for various metals.)

cy

Flashaholic
no problem with brass making contact. fuses use brass, so can't be all bad :D

thanks for link to Don's coool holder.

almost never use five mega's charging adapter for same reason. it's too easy to clamp entire FM holder without fuss of breaking out adapter.

charging clamp 5.JPG

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
I usually leave the FM battery packs with the charging plug in the light. Much easier to charge with his plug when I consider how frustrating it often is getting the threads started for the tailcap.

cy

Flashaholic
super cooool... yet another use ... this charging clamp sure has turned out to be a sturdy/versatile tool.

just charged four C nmh cells in this clamp, barely long enough.
wrapped cells in a sheet of std 8x10 paper to hold together.

supergravy

Newly Enlightened
The clamp idea is fantastic. I ended up building mine with aluminum posts and using large rubber grommets/o-rings to help prevent using too much clamp pressure. Here is a picture:
3124503767_135ca07df2.jpg

I really like the versatility of being able to charge anything my hobby charger can handle. These aluminum posts worked so well that I came up with another related idea using springs and radio shack project boxes:
3124503701_295376e25d.jpg

These allow me to charge two batteries at the same time (parallel). The one pictured above is for 18650 batteries, but I have made a couple of others for the smaller sizes. Here are a few more pictures:
3124504141_9875f22886.jpg

3124503597_22aac4510f.jpg

SafetyBob

Enlightened
Supergravy, excellent idea with the rubber to take up or regulate pressure applied to the battery.

I have a hack version I use for charging now, but see what I need to do.

Thanks for the idea, er, solution.

Bob E.

Closet_Flashaholic

Enlightened
here's a pic showing common brass lamp hardware used. note groove used to wrap cooper wire before sodering.

charging%20clamp%203.JPG

I realize that you only included battery to give a sense of size, but having a picture of a Lithium (non-rechargable) primary perhaps might give the wrong impression about the ability to recharge them using this rig :poof:- for newbies anyways...

Russel

Enlightened
Here is my quick makshift version:

Battery_clamp.jpg

Battery_clamp_2.jpg

I took a 1/2" copper pipe coupler that I found in the garage, cut it lengthwise with a hack saw, pounded the copper flat, and cut the rectangular shapes out. Then I soldered a wire to each copper plate and hot glued the plate to the clamp. I don't recommend this for high current use due to the hot glue, but for single AA cell discharging it works fine.

Battery_clamp_3.jpg

Battery_clamp_4.jpg

Westy

Newly Enlightened
quick thanks for this thread

I've been searching various search terms for a while.... tomorrow hopefully I'll finally get my Triton II charger:) I've got 2 lights that need it and finally bought it solo accepting my USL package charger's likely bust.

Wasn't sure what I need to DIY for battery holders or not.....this thread was v. helpful thanks. I can see myself making a set of various length/ID PVC tubes with some slotting/crossdrilling in place so actual tube length isn't so critical (ie. simple bungy shock like cord for mild compression thru slot and to hold contact, should setup in seconds as well - one tube could cover one battery or 8 etc) I also came across a thread on this site (not immediately under my fingers ) with a simple 'clamp' for charging all in parallel which I liked.

I'd enjoy seeing any others folks have built.....I'm going to want to charge 12-20 AA's at a shot and not sure what's most efficient and/or effective?? (and should all being done be same type/ie. all eneloops or OK to mixup...I assume all one type, identical mah's should only be done at same time but OK to throw all in one for a 'reasonable' charge??)

Finally I'll be able to use my FM85 regularly as I'll be able to recharge it now! Thanks again.

Turbo Guy

Enlightened
Cells being charged in series should all be the same. Same state of discharge,same past useage history,same capacity,etc. All of my NiMH AA and AAA cells which are charged in series are marked and kept as sets for use and charging. Chargers which have a single channel (slot) for each celll such as the La Cross C-900 or Maha C9000 are much better for mixed cells.

Last edited:

Latest posts