Inova X5 not Bright eneogh.

Triple A

Newly Enlightened
Fenix P3D seems like it is the perfect choice according to your criteria, and will come in around half of your total budget. Can run with all modes on rechargeables, as well, which will save you a lot if it is your work light for daily use. (Then you can keep it bright and not worry about going through batteries!) Excellent beam- good throw and spill, even on low settings. Like a blowtorch on turbo.

Other choices are Inova T1, (but only one mode, and I don't know about rechargeables for it,) and a Malkoff M60L or M60LL in a 6P body. The Malkoff M60L I use is amazingly bright in both spill and throw, and is reviewed as having 4.5 hours of run time regulated on a single set of batteries. This will also run on rechargeables- so only having one mode may matter less. This is, however, the largest light of the three mentioned.

Good Luck!

Wyeast

Enlightened
I recommend you get the Task Force 60x brigher 150 lumen 2C CREE LED
This is a great light, especially for runtime and throw when you're running deep under buildings.

However I'd recommend pairing this with a good LED headlamp. For two reasons -

1) The Task Force isn't multi-level, so you don't necessarily need it for looking at stuff right up by your face. :devil:

2) The TF has a bad habit of flickering when bumped because the batteries are loose in the body. Having a redundant light source will help alleviate the annoyance with that. I've never had it go out when dropped (and stay off so I lose it), but you never know...

It's a good idea to have a secondary light source anyway. You never know when the primary will fail. Not just dead batteries or light dying, but you could also drop the light down a hole. :oops:

I'm under buildings all the time for work, and this is my typical combination for outings. Headlamp for navigating around, thrower for looking across a dark area.

When I know I'm going in a more mid-close range environment, I'll sometimes switch out the Task Force for an Inova Bolt or Coleman MAX. I'm still testing the MAX out, but the Bolt I know can take the abuse you're looking for.

Hope that helps!

Last edited:

MichaelW

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just received my T1 from battery junction yesterday.
I like it. The beam is even warmer than the T2-mp.
The T2 isn't good for close up work because of the bright hot spot, but the T2 way out throws the T1, due to the deeper reflector.

Now if Inova would just get more efficient LEDs, not that their is anything wrong with the K2-tffc.
It just seems like that if Fenix can get 112 lumens for 4.8 hours in the p3d-rb100, last year, why can't Inova get 100 lumens for 6 hours (on 2 x cr123) with a state of the art LED?

or maybe an addition to the mp lineup. T0-mp (1 x cr123) 75 lumens for 5 hours.

Vincent

Newly Enlightened
This is a great light, especially for runtime and throw when you're running deep under buildings.

However I'd recommend pairing this with a good LED headlamp. For two reasons -

1) The Task Force isn't multi-level, so you don't necessarily need it for looking at stuff right up by your face. :devil:

2) The TF has a bad habit of flickering when bumped because the batteries are loose in the body. Having a redundant light source will help alleviate the annoyance with that. I've never had it go out when dropped (and stay off so I lose it), but you never know...

It's a good idea to have a secondary light source anyway. You never know when the primary will fail. Not just dead batteries or light dying, but you could also drop the light down a hole. :oops:

I'm under buildings all the time for work, and this is my typical combination for outings. Headlamp for navigating around, thrower for looking across a dark area.

When I know I'm going in a more mid-close range environment, I'll sometimes switch out the Task Force for an Inova Bolt or Coleman MAX. I'm still testing the MAX out, but the Bolt I know can take the abuse you're looking for.

Hope that helps!

I'm a tad iffy on getting a light made for a Big Distributor like target or walmart. Ive done research on this and in most cases quality control is non existent to meet quotas. While it looks like a great price, if the light goes out sometimes, I really cant deal with that. Plus the unit it kinda large.

Thanks for the tip though and thanks also BlueBeam22.

I collect knives and quality is everything with me,

Cuso

Flashlight Enthusiast

KeyGrip

Flashlight Enthusiast
Now if Inova would just get more efficient LEDs, not that their is anything wrong with the K2-tffc.
It just seems like that if Fenix can get 112 lumens for 4.8 hours in the p3d-rb100, last year, why can't Inova get 100 lumens for 6 hours (on 2 x cr123) with a state of the art LED?

Because Inova started measuring torch lumens.

ZMZ67

Flashlight Enthusiast
The INOVA T2(2008) may fit the bill here.A little brighter and more concentrated beam than the T1 and not much larger than your X5.You could still keep your X5 as a long running back-up.The tailcaps of the X5 and T2 interchange in the rare event of loss or switch failure.The warmer tint of the T2 may also offer better contrast than the blue tint from the X5.I don't think the T2 is completely waterproof but it should be fine if dropped in a puddle as long as it's not left submerged in water for a long time.

Vincent

Newly Enlightened
The INOVA T2(2008) may fit the bill here.A little brighter and more concentrated beam than the T1 and not much larger than your X5.You could still keep your X5 as a long running back-up.The tailcaps of the X5 and T2 interchange in the rare event of loss or switch failure.The warmer tint of the T2 may also offer better contrast than the blue tint from the X5.I don't think the T2 is completely waterproof but it should be fine if dropped in a puddle as long as it's not left submerged in water for a long time.

so the T2 is just a little brighter than the X5. That's a little different that what others have said.

pbs357

Enlightened
Vincent, are you doing URBEX? Killer! Me too - and of all the lights I've tried, my Fenix P3D Q5 is my main handheld light for this. It is very well made, extremely reliable, small enough to pocket carry and extremely versatile thanks to multiple modes of output. Not bad for less than $60USD. May I also recommend a decent headlamp, that was one of the best additions to my Urbex pack. I modified a Princeton Tec EOS with a SSC emitter and it's great, though tons of people here like the Zebralights.

Last edited:

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think he meant that the T2 is a little brighter than the T1 (125 vs. 100 lumens). I agree that the T1 or T2 will be a great replacement for your X5. I have the T1 and have had a couple of X5s (both got stolen). The T1 is 100 lumens and the newest X5 (with Nichia CS l.e.d.s) is less than 30. Regulated runtime for the X5 is about 6 hours. Regulated runtime for the T1 is over 4 hours. Tint will be warmer for the T series lights than your blueish light X5.The T2,T3, T4, and T5 will give less runtime but more brightness. I think 100 lumens is enough. Any brighter and you can't use it for close range tasks (hotspot gets to be too bright). Make sure you get the 2008 version T series light. The 2007 T1 is rated for 85 lumens (mine seems a little brighter than the 2008 version) and only lasts 1.5 hours regulated. The 2007 version also uses a K2 l.e.d. so buy from a company verifying which model it is. If you go to a store, look at the runtime and brightness on the box and make sure they're not too low.

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast
Inova does still make great lights. They are now mass producing, obviously the more lights you make the more defective ones will slip thru the cracks, but in general I wouldn't worry about buying a new one. I agree that the T1, T2, or T3 could be good choices for you. They have great "medium" beams, and are significantly brighter than your old X5. I'm not a big Fenix fan, but the P3D is also a very respectable choice here. Honestly this category of lights (2x CR123) is one of the the most saturated on markets (1x AA and 1x CR123 are also up there) so there are many many choices. Surefire, Wolf Eyes, Dereelight and Jetbeam are also worth a mention in this category.

22hornet

Enlightened
I currently have a Inova X5 and have for a good bit and its done a decent job. But to be honest it is just not good enough.

I need a light that will give me a much brighter light that is really noticeable. Yesterday I brought my X5 into a place that light from the sun hasn't reached in nearly 100 years or ever. Deep in the bowels of NYC. The X5 didn't give me much visibility is that type of darkness. It was better than if I didn't have a light, but could have been better.

So I honestly need a better light, I have some requiments.

1. LED, I cant have bulbs breaking
2. I need brightness with longevity. No lights that last 1 hour.
3. It needs to be portable, like my inova, maybe a little bigger. Its to hard carrying stuff like that.
4.Waterproof and build tough for possible drops.

Thanks all.
Hello,

If it is an old X5, with the old leds, why not get a new X5 with the CS leds. That would already make a real difference, I guess.
Plus you would keep the advantages of the X5 floody beam which works well at close ranges.

Kind regards.

Vincent

Newly Enlightened
Vincent, are you doing URBEX? Killer! Me too - and of all the lights I've tried, my Fenix P3D Q5 is my main handheld light for this. It is very well made, extremely reliable, small enough to pocket carry and extremely versatile thanks to multiple modes of output. Not bad for less than $60USD. May I also recommend a decent headlamp, that was one of the best additions to my Urbex pack. I modified a Princeton Tex EOS with a SSC emitter and it's great, though tons of people here like the Zebralights.

Yep you got it. Ive been to places where my X5 performed nicely. Others the darkness is like a black hole that sucks the light with no sign of it.

The X5 is great for looking at the ground searching for hypodermic needle's and syringes.

Thanks for the recommendations

Last edited:

jzmtl

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can't recall if the new inova use reflector or optic, but if it use reflector a good way to tell if it's the newer emitter is to look at the yellow die of it. If it's solid slab it's old, if it has tiny holes on them like pin cushion it's new version.

Vincent

Newly Enlightened
This is about the most helpful forum ive been on, Jeez you guys are great with responses. Thanks everybody.

I do have 1 more question

Is surefire still considered the best production light, or have they kinda past?

Chrontius

Flashlight Enthusiast
Surefire's still solid. They innovate well, but don't adopt the newest technology as fast as, say, Fenix - they spend the time it buys them doing quality assurance and R&D. When Surefire picks up the P7, they'll have an efficient, solid, and intuitive 2x123a torch. Everyone else runs hot, many require exotic batteries like 18650, and are still gonna be brighter. I can't promise anything else, though.

Let me pause to praise the A2 for a moment - I love this thing. It's got a close-range flood that won't blind you, and a medium-range throw that's pushing eighty real-world lumens from an incandescent lamp (enhances contrast). It's solid, durable, and very, very useable.
Let me pause another moment to praise the Malkoff devices - nothing in its size class throws as well without a rather bigger reflector, and some of these are just... excessive. In a good way.

Last edited:

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast
"Best" is an impossible thing to be.

Many Surefire lights are absolutely great. But they are not perfect (though in the past they've been pretty close for the technology available at the time imho).
Currently SF is without a doubt NOT the brightest production lights. While they definitely compete, and get the job done you're going to look somewhere else for brightest. Inova is also NOT the brightest (as well as not perfect nor best).
The way I see SF is they grow in leaps. They have great R&D and at times have pushed toward the bleeding edge of technology. Then they setle down for awhile... at least that's how I personally see it. SF is still king in many respects, just not "brightest."

Inova does have very good performance for the money and some Inova models are brighter than other Surefire models but then again some Surefires are brighter than other Inovas. It all depends... don't let the clerk talk you into a light based on brand name.
There are so many parameters to consider and so many products to choose from. Just sit back, read and learn, ask questions - and hopefully we can help ya make a good decision.
:twothumbs