Inova X5 not Bright eneogh.

defloyd77

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wonder if Inova has any plans to put Nichia DS or GS in the X5 anytime soon. Has anyone modded an X5?

Burgess

Flashaholic
Fascinating thread. Just stumbled upon it today. :)

To Vincent --

Just curious, what do yer' explorer buddies use for lights ?

Are they happy with the results ?

Have they had any failures while underway ?

Add me to the long list of CPF'ers who strongly suggest
that you carry SEVERAL lights whilst' performing your "inspections". :whistle:

'nuf said on that subject.

Oh, and we would be quite interested to read any
"flashlight-oriented" stories of your adventures.

If you wouldn't mind sharing some of 'em with us.

We always enjoy hearing how flashlights perform in extreme environments.

Note: this offer also goes to Hank, in the prior post # 74. :candle:

Hank, that sounds like a very interesting tale to hear.

Please share it with us, if you don't mind.

(CPF'ers all gathered 'round, in rapt attention, waiting for another flashlight story)

:grouphug:
_

JasonC8301

Flashlight Enthusiast
The new Inova inforce line is a bit above the $120 budget (with their white version being $159.99 and the color version being $219.99) but its worth taking a look at.

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/posts/2735331#post2735331

Turbo DV8 - wow, sounds like a real miss on luck. I have never had issues with Inova lights. I have a few Inova lights (X5 white and X1 UV) and haven't been disappointed, although I am a Surefire fan at heart.

Vincent

Newly Enlightened
Fascinating thread. Just stumbled upon it today. :)

To Vincent --

Just curious, what do yer' explorer buddies use for lights ?

Are they happy with the results ?

Have they had any failures while underway ?

Add me to the long list of CPF'ers who strongly suggest
that you carry SEVERAL lights whilst' performing your "inspections". :whistle:

'nuf said on that subject.

Oh, and we would be quite interested to read any
"flashlight-oriented" stories of your adventures.

If you wouldn't mind sharing some of 'em with us.

We always enjoy hearing how flashlights perform in extreme environments.

Note: this offer also goes to Hank, in the prior post # 74. :candle:

Hank, that sounds like a very interesting tale to hear.

Please share it with us, if you don't mind.

(CPF'ers all gathered 'round, in rapt attention, waiting for another flashlight story)

:grouphug:
_

Dont have any buddies really, all my friends call me insane. My brother goes with me, and he has a X5 also. Plus hes the only person I trust enough to do this stuff.

I agree on the extra lights. I am defiantly going to start.

Vincent

Newly Enlightened
I have another question. On these lights, how does the tail cap switch actually work. The Fenix and the Inova T series. See the X5 tailcap really cant fail, because if it did you can just tighten and untighten. How do these lights compare?

I also must ask about the PD20 and PD30.

The PD30 specs are as follows, on 2 cr123
9 lumens(65hrs) -> 70 lumens(8hrs) -> 117 lumens(4hrs) -> 220 lumens (1.5hrs)

The Pd20's specs are blow on 1 cr123 battery.

9 lumens (35hrs) -> 47 lumens(6.5hrs) -> 94 lumens(2.6hrs) -> 180 lumens (1hrs)

To me it doesnt seem like the extra battery is really giving double the run time length, it almost does, but is the Pd30 2 cell worth it, over the single cell. If you are in a survival situation and you can get pretty close to the runtime of a 2 cell for just 1 cell, then you could save one of the cells and really get 2x the run time, cant ya?

asdalton

Flashlight Enthusiast
Manufacturers' runtime specs shouldn't be taken too literally. Even the honest ones (and I think that Fenix has been pretty good in this regard) have to pick some cutoff point to call the batteries "dead"--such as dropping out of regulation, or 50% of the original brightness, or sometimes nearly zero light output. Without a runtime plot, you can't know which one was used.

It is true that in a well-designed circuit, the runtime should scale directly with battery capacity *at low and moderate current draw*. The advantage of adding more batteries comes in the higher output levels where you begin to strain the batteries. Here, you can get more lumen-hours per cell by having additional cells. And the maximum practical power delivery of say, 2xAA will be higher than 1xAA.

Guy's Dropper

Enlightened
I have another question. On these lights, how does the tail cap switch actually work. The Fenix and the Inova T series. See the X5 tailcap really cant fail, because if it did you can just tighten and untighten. How do these lights compare?
It is pretty rare that a switch fails on a high quality light. You will usually have some warning as a clicky switch wears out over years. However, it does happen, and that is why I urge you to have at least 3 reliable lights(More than 3 if any are unreliable) that all run on the same batteries.