Inova X5 not Bright eneogh.

Vincent

Newly Enlightened
So guys a few months ago most of you recommended the Fenix P3D, and I was planning on getting it but didn't.

So now I can get a new light and wanted to know if this was still a good light, or are there newer better lights out for the price.

All opinions welcome and again thanks for the help.

metlarules

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would still recommend the Inova T-1. It doesn't get to much more bomb proof then Inova.

pbs357

Enlightened
Inovas are definitely good lights. That being said, my vote is still with the Fenix. I have several, and none of them have ever failed or were glitchy in operation.

ZMZ67

Flashlight Enthusiast
I also still like the INOVA T-series lights.The INOVAs are not the brightest available but they have good runtimes,reliabilty and great beam quality.

Vincent

Newly Enlightened
to me the inovas don't seem bright enough for the hours to lumens ratios.

ZMZ67

Flashlight Enthusiast
If runtime and output are the primary considerations the Fenix lights are much better.I like the INOVA T-series for it's durability,simplicity and beam quality.With one level the INOVAs can't match the runtimes available on the multi-level P3D and the INOVAs use "warmer" LEDs that are not as efficient as the high bin CREEs.It is the "warmer" LEDs that provide the better beam quality IMO.Fenix does offer the TK20 with "warmer" LEDs but it uses AA batteries and is larger than the P3D,INOVA T1 and T2.
I also believe there are fewer things to go wrong with the INOVAs and I have more confidence in thier ability to withstand abuse.
FWIW if I were doing what you are I would carry three lights.The INOVA X5,INOVA T2 and my Fenix P2D.None of those lights are very large and there are options if one light shouild fail.

NightFlyer

Newly Enlightened
GO to Target, and next to the X5 that's hanging there for $25 or so, there should be an Inova XO for around $35. It's like night and day the difference between those and that XO light is a cool 70ish lumens (as bright as my TLR1 weaponlight and a little more light than my P3D's medium light.

But then, if you want some serious bang for the buck, just pick up a Romisen from DealExtreme. Orrrrr...get a nice R2 5 mode drop in on a $35 SF G2 Nitrolon.

The X5 is best used in the car for maps and things dropped on the floor that rolled under the seat. Lighting tunnels/sewers..not a chance.

The one downside to the XO (at least the one I bought several months back) is that the LED is a standard K2 which is not that efficient. The light output is pretty good, but the thing gets hot when used more than a couple of minutes. I have a 2008 Inova T2MP that is the same size yet puts out more light, less heat and lasts a good bit longer. My T2 makes a great outdoor light. Very good thrower for the money and the quality is excellent. My X5 lives in my laptop bag and gets used for daily needs under/behind things and up close lighting.

Vincent

Newly Enlightened
The X5 is still yet to fail me. But how does a flashlight fail exactly. I mean the diode could die or the batteries fail, but other then that its just a flow of electrons.

I usually do my explorations with others, but if a flashlight was to fail and I was left with nothing else, I could possibly die wondering through the dark tunnels and stuff, but that doesn't really scare me. So reliability is a big plus to me.

Given the need for reliability, some of these tunnels are just big black dark pits that will just eat the light. My X5 does nothing except a few feet in front of me, in these situations, which is why I was at least looking for something brighter.

the best light for me would probably be the Bright Star LightHawk Lantern, but its to big and to expensive.

I am just having to hard a time deciding, because I enjoy the know reliability of Inova, but will not always need my light to full blast, as I enjoy the different modes offered by the Fenix.

What I dont understand is the difference between the Fenix P30D and the P3D Q5. isd it just me or is the P3D a better light.

PD30 - 9 lumens (65hrs) -> 70 lumens (8hrs) -> 117 lumens (4hrs) - 220 lumens (1.5hrs)
P3DQ5- 12 lumens (65hrs) -> 53 lumens (13hrs) -> 120 lumens (4.8hrs) -215 lumens (1.8hrs)

KeyGrip

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wouldn't let those differences be the deciding factor between the two lights. For one, there is enough variablility in the lights that a PD30 could be brighter on all levels than a P3DQ5. Sometimes you just get an overperforming light. Also, many of those differences are within ten lumens, and most likely can't be seen by the human eye.

In my opinion, the decision should be made based on the switch type.

Vincent

Newly Enlightened
I wouldn't let those differences be the deciding factor between the two lights. For one, there is enough variablility in the lights that a PD30 could be brighter on all levels than a P3DQ5. Sometimes you just get an overperforming light. Also, many of those differences are within ten lumens, and most likely can't be seen by the human eye.

In my opinion, the decision should be made based on the switch type.

and what is the different types of switches?

Guy's Dropper

Enlightened
My favorite light ever is the old Inova X03/T3 with optics. Highest quality light I have ever had the pleasure to use, and I've used a lot of lights, Surefires included. You can get one of these at the sales page at Batterystation for $45 and it comes with 12 free batteries. It is the perfect brightess, and good throw, but the runtime is not great by current standards(2.5 hours). If you will mostly be using the light in cramped spaces, I might go for one of the newer Inovas, which have less throw and more flood. Or, with a budget like that, you could get a Surefire and use a lense diffuser.

What is it that you are doing in 100+ year old places under NY anyway? Are you some type of construction worker, or are you just exploring?

hank

Flashlight Enthusiast
> if a flashlight was to fail and I was left with nothing else, I could possibly die wondering

Er, wondering why you'd never heard the caver's rule, "always carry three light sources" I bet?

I once, as a high school kid, climbed 120' vertical up a rope, with slippery homemade ascenders, with water dripping on me, shielding a candle for light, because the carbide lamp and the flashlight and the backup flashlight had crapped out.

I can recommend always carrying backup lights. It wasn't the only time I used my backup.

In fact, let's see -- yep, sitting in an office in a building with backup power, and I've got four flashlights on me at the moment and a couple more in the emergency bag .....

I'm trying to be bright enough, myself!

Cydonia

Enlightened
This is an interesting thread. I like it.

Why hasn't anyone suggested the Inova T5 ? It has high and low modes. Or even the Inova T4 - it has high and low modes and is rechargeable.

Carry a back up light or two. It is an amateurs mistake not to.

Last edited:

KeyGrip

Flashlight Enthusiast
and what is the different types of switches?

I thought one had a forward clicky, and the other had a reverse, but I can't find any specification besides "push button" switch.

As for the T4 and T5, if they're not too big then they should work fine.

Guy's Dropper

Enlightened
Well, in addition to whatever main light he is bringing, he should at least carry the X5 and another light as backup. Even though the X5 is just about the most reliable light that I know of, it is always good to have at least 3 lights.

Vincent

Newly Enlightened
My favorite light ever is the old Inova X03/T3 with optics. Highest quality light I have ever had the pleasure to use, and I've used a lot of lights, Surefires included. You can get one of these at the sales page at Batterystation for $45 and it comes with 12 free batteries. It is the perfect brightess, and good throw, but the runtime is not great by current standards(2.5 hours). If you will mostly be using the light in cramped spaces, I might go for one of the newer Inovas, which have less throw and more flood. Or, with a budget like that, you could get a Surefire and use a lense diffuser.

What is it that you are doing in 100+ year old places under NY anyway? Are you some type of construction worker, or are you just exploring?

mostly just exploring and there are some small areas, but mostly its long tunnels.

Turbo DV8

Flashlight Enthusiast
One vote against Inova. I had a DOA X5, two X1's that flickered, no... strobed, and a 24/7 headlamp that cracked it's own plastic case just sitting in a drawer. Inova replaced the X1's with 2AA Bolt's. One of those was DOA. The spring loaded positive battery terminal was sticky, causing poor tactical use of the tail cap switch. Every Inova I bought turned out to be junk. The warranty is generous, but if the quality is so inconsistent, warranty is a moot point.

Last edited:

Guy's Dropper

Enlightened
Whatever you end up choosing, it would be best to choose a light that runs on of CR123A batteries so that your spare light and your main light share the same battery type. That way you do not have to carry several different types of spare batteries.

Latest posts