Inova X5 not Bright eneogh.

ZMZ67

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think he meant that the T2 is a little brighter than the T1 (125 vs. 100 lumens). I agree that the T1 or T2 will be a great replacement for your X5. I have the T1 and have had a couple of X5s (both got stolen). The T1 is 100 lumens and the newest X5 (with Nichia CS l.e.d.s) is less than 30. Regulated runtime for the X5 is about 6 hours. Regulated runtime for the T1 is over 4 hours. Tint will be warmer for the T series lights than your blueish light X5.The T2,T3, T4, and T5 will give less runtime but more brightness. I think 100 lumens is enough. Any brighter and you can't use it for close range tasks (hotspot gets to be too bright). Make sure you get the 2008 version T series light. The 2007 T1 is rated for 85 lumens (mine seems a little brighter than the 2008 version) and only lasts 1.5 hours regulated. The 2007 version also uses a K2 l.e.d. so buy from a company verifying which model it is. If you go to a store, look at the runtime and brightness on the box and make sure they're not too low.

I was comparing the INOVA T1 vs the INOVA T2.Both the T1 and T2 are much
brighter than the X5.Thanks for pointing that out as I was already offline.:thumbsup:The X5 isn't regulated AFAIK, the 6 hr run time is when the light hits 50%.Even though the X5s output is greatly diminished after 6 hours it should provide at least several more hours of usable light in an emergency.Many regulated high output LED lights will not work once the batteries are depleted to the point where they can not provide enough power to run the light in regulation.

MichaelW

Flashlight Enthusiast
Because Inova started measuring torch lumens.

I compared my new T1-mp to my P2D-rb100 (on high)
They look comparable as to output. Sure the T1 has a warmer neutral white CCT

Also the diameter of the window of the T2 is roughly 21mm, vs the 19 of the T1. There is a lot more reflector in the T2.

and it seems that the T2 reflector is a third deeper.

Last edited:

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Depends a lot on what you mean by best. They are pretty good but best varies too much from people to people.

Any of the lights suggested before should work well from what I see.

carrot

Flashaholic
Inova's output claims have been disputed for a long time now. They generally over-rate their lights' outputs, but they are still good, solid lights as you have found. I have done my own share of exploration, although not in the city (pointers?) and I think the Surefire E1L and E2L are perfect. Runtime is excellent on the newer Cree models and they are tough lights that are also easy to pocket. The G2L/6PL isn't bad either but I would rather trade some of that brightness for runtime and the more I use my E*L lights the more I am convinced that spill isn't as necessary as people make it out to be.

It is hard to define "best" but I think as far as tough, reliable lights go Surefire is hard to beat.

depusm12

Flashlight Enthusiast
I gotta put my 2 cents in here . I own and use some of both lights. I have at least 4 SF's and 4 Inova's they are both very good lights and very reliable lights. I wouldn't hesitate to and do use some of both for work
(Law Enforcement Officer) Bottom line is what works best for you? Don't let some clerk who may or may not know what he/she is talking about sway your decision. Look at the lights you have in mind and go for what you think will meet your needs the best. Hope this helps.

asdalton

Flashlight Enthusiast
Inova's output claims have been disputed for a long time now.

The claims for the newest T-series lights are pretty realistic.

Of course, their past claims were often absurd ("85 lumens" from the original T3?), and this reputation is still haunting them among experienced light buyers.

ZMZ67

Flashlight Enthusiast
The claims for the newest T-series lights are pretty realistic.

Of course, their past claims were often absurd ("85 lumens" from the original T3?), and this reputation is still haunting them among experienced light buyers.

I have to agree here.All 5 of the 2008 T-series INOVAs that I purchased have outputs in line with what INOVA claims.These lights look much the same as the older models but their performance is substantially better.

DanTSX

Newly Enlightened
Surefire G2L or G3L

Very good floody beam with decent enough throw. The Nitrolon plastic is tough as nails. It is lightweight, not cold/hot to touch in extreame temperatures (i.e. cold light in winter) Good enough run times (go G3L if you want best run time) Easy to hold size.

People have and will suggest that the next step for this light is to replace the stock LED with a Malkoff LED, an easy an inexpensive upgrade that will improve runtime and depending on the bulb you choose, you can go from a little bit brighter to A LOT brighter.

I own a G2L in yellow. It lights up rooms in large houses very well in the dark. Very usefull light. Hated the yellow at first, but it has grown on me. I'd actually reccomend a yellow one if you are using it in an area where you may be fumbling in the dark for it.

The prices are right too (around $65 for the G2L and $85-$90 for the G3L) There are no differences in output, but only in runtime. Spend an extra $12 or so on the SF lanyard or holster and you are good to go.

All the G2L/G3Ls have aluminum heads now, so they dont have the step-down in output that the originals had to protect the LED from heat buildup. Just check the head before you buy one though to make certain it is not old-stock of the original plastic head or a modded incan G2/G3. The aluminum head will have flat sides afaik. Dead giveaway without having to take it off.

but keep that X5, from what I understand, they will run for quite a while when most other CR123 lights consider the battery "dead" Good backup light that is tough as nails too.

Vincent

Newly Enlightened
whats the best place to buy the Fenix P3D, there seems to be different models, I just want the best model.

It seems to be best for me.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Most people recommend buying from 4sevens at Fenix-Store, link to the P3D-CE Q5. The Q5 version is the one with the latest bin of the Cree XR-E LED. It is around 30% brighter then the normal version. 8% off coupon at Fenix Store is "CPF8".

pbs357

Enlightened
+1 on ordering from Fenix-Store. Fast shipping, very reputable, and an authorized dealer with great customer service from what I've heard (never had to send any of my 6 Fenix's back though!). Definitely get the Q5 model, it's the latest and the brightest. Also a suggestion for Urbex, I got the white diffuser tip, and sometimes will let the light hang from my belt at waist level with it on. It lights up the ground and area immediatey in front of you extremely well, and doesn't glare your eyes at all.

Outdoors Fanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
Surefire G2L or G3L

Very good floody beam with decent enough throw. The Nitrolon plastic is tough as nails. It is lightweight, not cold/hot to touch in extreame temperatures (i.e. cold light in winter) Good enough run times (go G3L if you want best run time) Easy to hold size.

People have and will suggest that the next step for this light is to replace the stock LED with a Malkoff LED, an easy an inexpensive upgrade that will improve runtime and depending on the bulb you choose, you can go from a little bit brighter to A LOT brighter.

I own a G2L in yellow. It lights up rooms in large houses very well in the dark. Very usefull light. Hated the yellow at first, but it has grown on me. I'd actually reccomend a yellow one if you are using it in an area where you may be fumbling in the dark for it.

The prices are right too (around $65 for the G2L and $85-$90 for the G3L) There are no differences in output, but only in runtime. Spend an extra $12 or so on the SF lanyard or holster and you are good to go.

All the G2L/G3Ls have aluminum heads now, so they dont have the step-down in output that the originals had to protect the LED from heat buildup. Just check the head before you buy one though to make certain it is not old-stock of the original plastic head or a modded incan G2/G3. The aluminum head will have flat sides afaik. Dead giveaway without having to take it off.

but keep that X5, from what I understand, they will run for quite a while when most other CR123 lights consider the battery "dead" Good backup light that is tough as nails too.
+1 on the Yellow G2L.

jzmtl

Flashlight Enthusiast
From the numbers I've seen Kroma color is about 3 lumen. I don't have numbers for X5 colored but if the white is almost 30 lumen they can't be that far off. So in other words X5 should be a whole lot brighter.

ZMZ67

Flashlight Enthusiast
From the numbers I've seen Kroma color is about 3 lumen. I don't have numbers for X5 colored but if the white is almost 30 lumen they can't be that far off. So in other words X5 should be a whole lot brighter.

I don't really know much about the Kroma but I have the X5 in all the colors.The X5 color leds are much brighter than 3 lumens.I don't have a way to measure but I would say 20 lumens at least for all the colors.Even the UV version produces a lot of visible light.

jbviau

Enlightened
I was one of the people who got in on that Inova sale at Target a few months back. There's a thread on it in the Marketplace somewhere. I picked up two X5s in white (titanium finish) for $6 each and change. Kept one for me and sold one at cost to another cpf member. After playing with my X5 for a while, I think even $30 (which does seem a little less than I've seen it sold for on the web) is way too much for it. Despite the bombproof construction, the light underwhelms me. If it were half the size, maybe I'd be more impressed. Just my opinion.

Underworld_Magic

Newly Enlightened
I myself use 2 Inova X5's, I have a UV and a White.

I use both for Forensic use, the light output is soft and the distribution of light is equal with no hotspots which is ideal for opaque fingerprint examination - so these little X5s are excellent for my use.

The UV version is ideal too, again the distribution of light is really good and, no hotspots which i really like.

So X5's are nice torches, but it really depends on your taste and the proposed use.

Latest posts