Klarus XT11

Status
Not open for further replies.

ArcaneLogic

Newly Enlightened
I was wondering if they are reading this thread, since they put up the step-down info right after the question about it was posted here.

I've asked them the following questions, will hopefully hear back after the holidays:

Why are 16340s not recommended?

Does it use PWM?

Does it have mode memory and, if not, what does it come on in and what is the cycle order (e.g. high-low-med or low-med-high or...)?

The runtime of 2.2hrs on high - is that with or without the step-down (i.e. 2.2 hours of cumulative 600lm output)?

To clarify a comment from Animalmother - from what I understand, the step-down does NOT mean that after the first few minutes of use it will never give the full output again until a fresh battery is inserted. It DOES mean that ANY time you turn on the light (even if the battery is close to dead) it will give max output for a few minutes and then step down. So after you notice it dim, you can simply turn it off then on again to regain max output. However, doing this might overheat your light eventually. Some manufactures do have ways of disabling the step-down entirely (e.g. quickly turning it off and on 20 times in a row) but they will specifically mention that feature if a light has it.

Animalmother

Newly Enlightened
I am well aware of how the UI stepdown is configured.

I want it constant without having to turn it back on because if I need it to illuminate an area and happen to be away from my light for any reason more then 5 minutes I may have to return to turn it off/on and could be a bit of a problem depending on what I am doing. And if it's dark, the decrease might affect what I am doing as my eyes are used to the brightness level. I use my lights for everything and tend to prepare myself for any problems I may encounter. I hope you guys understand why I am leaning slightly against stepdowns in the UI.

Although, I am starting to like this light allot and am considering it against my other choices forgetting about the stepdown with or without a way to sizable it in the UI. I love the look, output for it's size of this light. I am craving more then my PA40 already! So far, the G25 has my full attention.

spc smith

Enlightened
well i kind of messed up and posted my own thread about the XT11. The screw on diffusers is actually a really good idea though. the step down?... not for me as is the reason why i got The Olight M20X instead of the M21X which is also at 600 lumens, but steps down after five minutes to 60% brightness. The XT11 looks promising though with its patented intuitive UI.

ArcaneLogic

Newly Enlightened
I heard back from Klarus' customer service and, after a bit of back and forth to clarify the details (english not their first language) I found out the following:

The runtime of 2.2 hours is for "high", in other words, 3 min at 600lm, then the rest at 420lm. They didn't know how much runtime the light would get doing cumulative runs of 3 min each (staying at 600lm).

The light uses PWM at 1000Hz.

There is no mode memory - comes on in high, then switches to med, then low, then back to high (repeat).

16340s are not recommended due to lower performance, no other reason.

Hope this helps!

k9hutch

Newly Enlightened
Mine showed up yesterday. It is not worthy of a full review as it is merely an upgraded emitter on the XT10 platform, or so it seems.

I was looking for a substantial jump in output, however, it was not there. Is it brighter? Yes, but not to any significant degree. Was the testing scientific? Not at all. Myself and another on-duty guy with two different XT10s compared the output on vehicle interiors, alleys, and open areas.

If you have an XT10 now, you may see the same minor improvement in brightness, but that's about it. And yes, I know that the human eye has to receive a very significant increase in brightness before we can perceive the difference in output.

Overall, and in my opinion, the XT11 is still a tactical-quality light and worthy of being carried as a duty light.

sleep creeper

Newly Enlightened
Hey k9 hutch, I have the xt 10, n my tint color is snow white in the middle with a warmer color around it n purple around that, how is the tint on the xt 11

k9hutch

Newly Enlightened
My Xt10 is also pretty white..YMMV, but my XT11 is more of a cool white

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey k9 hutch, I have the xt 10, n my tint color is snow white in the middle with a warmer color around it n purple around that, how is the tint on the xt 11

I haz an X11 and ts is white-little greenish-little purplish, so it sounds like similar to x10

creedelight

Newly Enlightened
Looks like a mixed bag, I received both my XT10 and XT2C only weeks ago, my XT10 has what I would consider a perfectly uniform & slightly warm white, whilst the beam on the XT2C is cool white & has a slight purple tint to the beam. I don't think I will be splashing out to get an XT11, due to the mixed bag factor.

leodanger

Newly Enlightened
If a mod can allow me to post attachments, I'll give you a runtime graph (full power, medium power and full power reset every ten mins).

TEEJ

Flashaholic
If a mod can allow me to post attachments, I'll give you a runtime graph (full power, medium power and full power reset every ten mins).

You might be able to upload the picture of the graph as a jpg file to a host, and then just post the pics in your thread.

leodanger

Newly Enlightened
So I need to create ANOTHER account somewhere to host pics... blimey! What do you have to do to get accepted here?! Will look at what I can use...

leodanger

Newly Enlightened
Here's a link to the runtime test

http://i1262.photobucket.com/albums/ii605/leodanger/KlarusXT11runtimegraph.jpg

Please bear in mind that the Y axis is mV only, and is not directly proportional to Lumens or anything (as you'll see by the numbers).

The torch drops down to 420 lumens from 600 after three minutes, but goes back up to full every time it's turned on again, so I did a run where I turned it off and on again every ten minutes.

The spikes as the cell runs out are because the flashlight starts pulsing to warn you it's running out... I made the test rig myself and wrote the (basic) Arduino code, so it samples every ten seconds, and gives the result as an average every minute (which I import to a graph plotting application). The way it works means sometimes it samples as the torch has pulsed off, so it gives a spike on the others.

Don't worry about the fact that the torch uses PWM in lower modes – I put a couple of capacitors across the LDR which smooths out the signal.

The noise in the low power reference line (I wasn't going to run a test that took days – the medium took all night), is due to my daughter playing with the curtains!

I'm really impressed with the performance of this light... It's beautifully made, and gives a very good, white beam. More pics soon...

Last edited:

Viking

Enlightened
Thanks for the runtime test.

I'm not sure if I understand you correct.
Did you consistently , for over 2 hours turn the light on and off every 10 seconds on high mode? Thus keeping the 600 lumens mode

Could your eyes see a difference in output on High mode after 2 hours?

leodanger

Newly Enlightened
I do apologise! I've corrected it in the post, and tidied up the link anybody know how to get the thumbnails to work?!)

I did mean that I turned it off then immediately on again every ten MINUTES. The test rig does sample every ten seconds, and gives an average result every minute.

Sorry for the confusion!

Thanks for the runtime test.

I'm not sure if I understand you correct.
Did you consistently , for over 2 hours turn the light on and off every 10 seconds on high mode? Thus keeping the 600 lumens mode

Could your eyes see a difference in output on High mode after 2 hours?

Status
Not open for further replies.